Does anyone know when the Airfix interpretation of the fuel tanks with extra top fins fell into disuse with RAF Tornado units? Is this style inaccurate for a circa 1986-89 era GR1?

IMG43761547374012.jpg

Most photos seem to show the tanks with just the lower fins ...

IMG43751547374013.jpg

Edited by Lord Riot

There are two types of tanks for the Tornados, the smaller ones had just the lower fins, the larger "Hindenbergs" had the 4 fins.
No idea if there was a difference in time scale as to when which were used though, but the larger ones were normally found on the F3 variant, although could also be used on the GRs too.

I believe the larger ones fins could interfere with the tail planes with the wings swept back on one version but not the other, at least I think that was the case....

• Like 1

The top photo is the larger type of tank, the lower pic is a smaller one.

Regardless, Im pretty sure youll be fine to use the kit tanks.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RMP2 said:

The top photo is the larger type of tank, the lower pic is a smaller one.

Regardless, Im pretty sure youll be fine to use the kit tanks.

I think both tanks are the same size tbh. The GR fleet, as far as I’m aware, only started to used the larger 2250ltr tanks in the run up to Op Granby. The fins on these tanks are symmetrical and form an ‘x’. I’m unaware of when the top two fins started to be removed from the fleet, but from your evidence you’ll be ok with or without them. 

That is all.

• Like 1

Apols, the tanks are the same in those pics after looking on the pc rather than my phone.... doh.

Found a link confirming gulf use of the larger tanks

• Like 1

A dry fit of the intakes revealed the back upper edge looked too high. I know they're not totally flush with the fuselage but there was a massive step. 

I've cut and filed the inner part lower then squeezed the main intake to it, so hopefully it'll just be a smaller step when attached.

IMG43811547470457.jpg

Great photo, thanks Alex! Will be really useful for the wing sweep bits too. I'll make some sleeves from masking tape.

Anyone know what this little aerial is for on the real thing? 

IMG43821547473750.jpg

The kit didn't include it so I made my own. I recall once being told by groundcrew at Marham that it 'projected the radar signature of the aircraft to a different location in the sky'. Pretty cool and advanced (this was back in the late 80s) if true! 

Just to maybe throw a fly into the ointment, Ive stumbled across this image showing at least 3 of the larger tanks fitted, which I didnt think was possible. I assume its a ferry trip rather than out on ops though..?

7475969_orig.jpg

Scratch that, pretty sure thats some lens trickery and its the stbd tank. I shall retrieve my jacket and keep quiet. 

Edited by RMP2
  • Like 2

Nope,not lens trickery.I found this photo on Pprune,I don't know whose it is.

024-Tornado-loaded.png

I seem to remember reading that the starboard shoulder pylon is plumbed for fuel.One of the RAF yearbooks I think,probably the Granby edition. 

Edited to add Pprune thread link

And another one

tornado9.jpg

Found here

Edited by Alex Gordon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Alex Gordon said:

If I remember what my mate Bob (Grolsch the Stumpy Sumpy) told me it is the outside air temparature sensor.

Good old Grolschie! I think he’s a bit off this time tho! As far as I can remember it’s the ice detector and wasn’t fitted to all the jets! With regards to the tanks the 4 fin fit on the GR1 tanks( not the big juggs!) was changed to 2 fins in the mid 80’s! When they were fitted to the shoulder pylons for ferry or special weapons fit we used to have to remove the upper inboard fin to check the gearbox oil levels and then refit them! What a nause! 4 bolts with tab washers which we would reuse! Apparently they couldn’t be fitted the wrong way round because of a spigot on the tank and a hole in the fin! Oh yes they could! Don’t ask me how I know! When the top 2 fins were removed the recess was faired overwith a plate using the same bolt holes and the spigot was removed! HTH 

9 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Nope,not lens trickery.I found this photo on Pprune,I don't know whose it is.

024-Tornado-loaded.png

I seem to remember reading that the starboard shoulder pylon is plumbed for fuel.One of the RAF yearbooks I think,probably the Granby edition. 

Edited to add Pprune thread link

Both shoulders were plumbed for fuel! The 3 tanks on the jet in the picture are the standard GR1 tank whereas the tanks on the other picture (the 2 Sqn jet) are F3 tanks. The shape of the tank fin and rear of the tank gives it away!

36 minutes ago, wasacop said:

Good old Grolschie! I think he’s a bit off this time tho! As far as I can remember it’s the ice detector and wasn’t fitted to all the jets! With regards to the tanks the 4 fin fit on the GR1 tanks( not the big juggs!) was changed to 2 fins in the mid 80’s! When they were fitted to the shoulder pylons for ferry or special weapons fit we used to have to remove the upper inboard fin to check the gearbox oil levels and then refit them! What a nause! 4 bolts with tab washers which we would reuse! Apparently they couldn’t be fitted the wrong way round because of a spigot on the tank and a hole in the fin! Oh yes they could! Don’t ask me how I know! When the top 2 fins were removed the recess was faired overwith a plate using the same bolt holes and the spigot was removed! HTH 

To be fair to Bob he was a Sootie not a Fairy.

The man himself. Edit...Actually not as you,dear reader, are about to find out.

F4Zs=19ygn.JPG

As found in this U bend video

Edited by Alex Gordon
Got it wrong.Royally.

Just now, Alex Gordon said:

To be fair to Bob he was a Sootie not a Fairy.

The man himself

F4Zs=19ygn.JPG

As found in this U bend video

Don’t know who that is but it certainly isn’t Bob Grolsch! During the Gulf War the man himself was at least a Cpl and didn’t have ginger hair!, plus I’m sure that’s a Jag in the picture! I used to work with Bob on XV Sqn during his first tour there and spent many many nights in the Mally with him!

8 minutes ago, wasacop said:

Don’t know who that is but it certainly isn’t Bob Grolsch! During the Gulf War the man himself was at least a Cpl and didn’t have ginger hair!, plus I’m sure that’s a Jag in the picture! I used to work with Bob on XV Sqn during his first tour there and spent many many nights in the Mally with him!

I will stand corrected on both counts,the man in the piccie is nearly a double for Bob though.

Lord Riot,my apologies for hijacking your thread

• Like 1

No worries, hijack away - any ex RAF types always welcome, it's like pprune but with photos! 

I might have to rethink the fuel tanks though, would the upper fins definitely have gone by 1987?

8 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

No worries, hijack away - any ex RAF types always welcome, it's like pprune but with photos! 

I might have to rethink the fuel tanks though, would the upper fins definitely have gone by 1987?

By 1987 as far as my addled mind recalls the upper fins had gone. I think though I maybe wrong it was something to do with further separation trials that decided they didn’t need them any more! Made my job easier!

• Like 1

Intakes now fitted.

I cut about half a mm from the inner part so they don't have such a high gap at the back as Airfix intended. I still think it looks too much but it's too late now. They also needed a bit of cutting and filing of the fuselage join area and at the back of the intakes for a tighter fit. Will still need a bit of filler underneath though.

IMG43841547551629.jpg

IMG43851547551627.jpg

• Like 1

The front fuselage needs a lot of sanding and buffing then a tiny bit of rescribing as a result. It's a difficult join line to hide, proving harder than on the Buccaneer. I'm actually hoping the large unit marking decal will help hide some of it! Can't do much more as the upper half seems ever so slightly wider than the lower. 

IMG43921547636210.jpg

Those intakes were a struggle too, need a lot of clamping in place, filling, sanding and cutting before they looked reasonable (by my admittedly average standards!).

I think a lot of modellers on here would have thrown this old kit away by now and bought a super-detailed perfectly fitting one instead! Or had the skill to make it fit properly perhaps 😂

Anyway, such heavy work on the nose caused a wing root to pop open so I've had to reglue and clamp it. 

IMG43931547636212.jpg

I feel like I should try and add some detail into the wheel wells. Not too sure what though!

Edited by Lord Riot

With regards the fuel tanks. Just double check your upper fins as I think you may have them the wrong way round, the long taper should be aft. I was told by my ex-RAF Armouer chap (Gonzo - Paul Gibbs) who was on Tornados that the upper fins were removed the tank was supersonic capable where as the four finned version were subsonic (not referring to really big tanks.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the tank fin info Speedy. I've turned them around now.

IMG44021547766992.jpg

Starting to look more like a Tornado ...

IMG44031547766991.jpg

Trying to jazz up the wheel wells a bit. I'll cut bits off a spare Vulcan ladder for piping, plus a couple of random bulges in there now. Nowhere near 100% accurate but at least they won't look as bare!

IMG44041547766990.jpg

• Like 2