Handley Page Harrow K7028 - any background?

Hugh Thomson

I have bought the 1/72 Valom kit of the Handley Page Harrow MkII.  It includes decals for a Harrow MkII of 37 Squadron, K7006, in early 1939 and a Harrow MkII of 24 Maintenance Unit, K7028 in 1940.

The aircraft from 37 Squadron, K7006, appears to be in standard bomber camouflage - dark green, dark earth uppersurface and black undersurface.  However the aircraft from 24 Maintenance Unit appears in drak green and dark earth uppersurface and all yellow undersurface (with the yellow running up to a quite high line on the fuselage).

Its K7028 that intrigues me. The yellow would suggest some prototype or training  role aircraft.  Does anyone have any info on K7028 - perhaps in an Air Britain book on RAF serials.

I have very little material on the Harrow  - just an entry in the Putnam/Barnes Book together with whatever else I can dig up on the internet.  My inclination is to model the aircraft of 37 Squadron, K7006, as I feel very comfortable with the background history. But  if I could get some info which explains the yellow undersurface for K7028 that might make a more attractive finish.

I have attached a link to the Hannants site which shows K7006 and K7028.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/VAL72118

You are correct, the scheme shows the aircraft as operated by one of the Bomber and Gunnery Schools, possibly number 6 but I don't recall at the moment.  If you search for earlier threads on the subject you will find the correct unit, and possibly even photos of Heyfords on the same scheme.  It is perhaps more familiar on Hart variants.

• Like 1

I've been unable to track down the reference for the yellow undersides on the Harrow, nor for the role of K7028 at an B&GS.  Possibly because the history of K7028 in Air Britain's The K File doesn't list any.  It is listed as RAE, 115 Sq, 215 Sq, 19 MU, RAE.  This last is 2/12/39, it is struck of charge 9/5/41.  Which is rather a long time to stand around doing nothing much.  Harrows served in 7,8,9 and 10 B&GS, with No, 9 having 20 of them.

The civilian in the photo may suggest that it was taken during the time at RAE.

Wouldn't tugs have and black and yellow undersides?  However a trials aircraft could have had other rules applied - or just ignored.  The K File does not give any hint (that I can see) as to which Harrow did the Hotspur trial: it would seem a bit over the top for the job, but they did get around a fair bit at this time.

• Like 1

I think I have some sort of explanation. And it was sort of in front of me all the time. Page 374 of CH Barnes 'Handley Page Aircraft of 1907' refers to the use of Harrows at Martlesham Heath circa 1937 and then says "...and Dunlop wing and tail deicing had been installed on K7028 for trials at the RAE."

I wonder whether the photo attached to the comment by Phoenixii was taken at Farnborough and the yellow reflects K7028's work at the RAE testing deicing equipment. 

Think I had best build my Valom Harrow as K7006 of 37 Squadron. It sounds a safer bet. If K7028 was at the RAE with a yellow finish god knows what other bits and pieces were hanging off the aircraft.

Thanks everyone.