Hasegawa 1/72 FW 190D

I started this last week but was too lazy to post as due to the Christmas excesses: Its a Telford kit swap purchase which I picked up mainly for the old style Eduard masks it came with. I also realised I have never built a Hasegawa kit and as these 190Ds are highly thought of, why not?

45655867875_99aa56f5f2_b.jpg

It was all there but the decals have seen much better days and are unusable as the carrier film has cracked along with the inks. Thank you fellow  IPMS member for not mentioning that on the box...

46570270651_9c3456a378_b.jpg

It doesn't bother me as i have alternative markings (replete with stencils) on this Skys sheet and being printed by Cartograf, the decaling should be a joy as per my FW190A. For this, I'll be doing "White 1, on the bottom right as it has a snazzy red spinner. I like red spinners.

45656105955_53637a8f36_b.jpg

First job, HG are not fans of the gear up option so the redundant wheels from my Airfix 190A were duly sanded to fit the shallow wells. 

44752257260_a6a6f9da4d_b.jpg

The gear doors fit beautifully and are exquisitely thin:

44752260510_77815a11b2_b.jpg

Now off to sort out that cockpit as I've stalled on my Spitfire racer due to some unforeseen damage.

Toodle pip chaps,

Anil

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Wow that's a killer set of decals! Following, of course!

And what more amazing is  the paltry £5.99 being charged, its worth that for the stencils alone!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SKY72060

BTW Paul at Waterloovile models in town, can get any Hannants stuff in post free on his weekly order if you cant be bothered to make up the Big H minimum order value, now off to have a peek at your P-40s!

Cheers

Anil

• Like 1

Which decals are you planning to use?

I have the same set of decals but in 1:48. Could you tell me to which aircraft do the decals under the Yellow 11 belong (<-+-)? I'm not at home and can't check them out.

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

I have the same set of decals but in 1:48. Could you tell me to which aircraft do the decals under the Yellow 11 belong (<-+-)? I'm not at home and can't check them out.

I'm doing white 1, Hauke's aircraft. Can't help with IDing the the markings though, over a third of the sheet has markings for which there are no profiles so spares box fodder or try here if you're feeling lucky!

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/456/2

Cheers

Anil

And a bit of cockpit tarting up:  Cloned decals disappeared into the RLM66. Added a gun sight and lens (reflector glass comes just before canopy to deny the floor monster). also added the Eduard Steel lap belts (shoulder ones as per reflector  to avoid damage.  Stand magnet in.

45925202254_10917e1b54_b.jpg

31708462727_c7e84405b9_b.jpg

39684892633_e2cfc6e5e4_b.jpg

An observation, this 1993 kit beats the pants of the recent Airfixes: the wing parts literally snap into place with no gaps, cockpit went in first time after paint. They even got the single inspection door for the tailwheel on the port side right. I hear a lot about why its difficult to get properly fitting parts that have been painted due to CAD etc, this pre-CAD kit aces any of the many Airfix CAD, LIDAREd, marinated in wombat juice etc. that I have built recently. A case of the Emperors New Clothes methinks...

Cheery bye

Anil.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit tardy with this: Got the Eduard steel belts in but had to improvise mounting- they should be be anchored on the deck behind the sat but that would have prevented the armour/rear canopy combo from sitting flush. Added a a 1 mm gun-sight glass.

46702995332_d49c59cc5f_b.jpg

45840528625_a454c0e6f7_b.jpg

Eduard mask was for the blown canopy which was mangled in this cheapie so had to cut my own masks. Surprisingly the windscreen fit is a bit off, I imagine HG were assuming that everyone would do wheels down, canopy open. I'll fill with PVA /Mr Surfacer tomorrow but we should be in the paint shop PM  tomorrow.

• Like 5

That's coming along nicely. I've built several of the Hasegawa 190A but not a D but it looks very similar. I agree with your comparison of this to the Airfix attempt. I've built one and it was a struggle compared to the Hasegawa. The Skymodels decal sheets are great I've used the both the A and D sheets. Anyway looking forward to see more of this one.

Cheers Allan

• Like 1

Primer day: Lots of minor glitches needed filling etc but good to go. Preshade and RML76 tomorrow, want this finished next week as I  aim to finish at least three 1/72 kits every month to get my standard up and stash down.

46052804024_eb4cb3a350_b.jpg

31836201577_fe95b3c46d_b.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/16/2019 at 12:37 AM, almac said:

That's coming along nicely. I've built several of the Hasegawa 190A but not a D but it looks very similar. I agree with your comparison of this to the Airfix attempt. I've built one and it was a struggle compared to the Hasegawa. The Skymodels decal sheets are great I've used the both the A and D sheets. Anyway looking forward to see more of this one.

Cheers Allan

Thanks Alan, the Airfix one I did was a hound but thats what modelling is about, that and a lot of putty. This one used the Skys !90A sheet you mentioned.

The HG is light years ahead of the Airfix, beautiful fit (apart from the windscreen), lovely delicate panel lines etc. Looking forward to a few more HG & Tamiya builds this year

Cheers

Anil

On 02/01/2019 at 13:41, clive_t said:

Wow that's a killer set of decals! Following, of course!

On 02/01/2019 at 14:16, azureglo said:

And what more amazing is  the paltry £5.99 being charged, its worth that for the stencils alone!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/SKY72060

BTW Paul at Waterloovile models in town, can get any Hannants stuff in post free on his weekly order if you cant be bothered to make up the Big H minimum order value, now off to have a peek at your P-40s!

Cheers

Anil

On 02/01/2019 at 21:19, Sturmovik said:

On 02/01/2019 at 22:02, azureglo said:

I'm doing white 1, Hauke's aircraft. Can't help with IDing the the markings though, over a third of the sheet has markings for which there are no profiles so spares box fodder or try here if you're feeling lucky!

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/456/2

Cheers

Anil

A word of caution of Sky Decals,  they are cheap, and provide oodles of options,  but they are poorly researched,  as @azureglo points out a third he find no PROFILE for,  let alone a photo.

If you are not an accuracy freak then this may not be a problem,   I did have a trawl through the two JaPo fw190D volumes trying to match up schemes with not much success.

I know other Sky decals sheets look great, but are let down in detail. (wrong colours and details etc)   

Sorry to be such a joyless modelling nazi, but worth mentioning,  though if the stenciles and crosses are good, plus afew schemes, then maybe worthwhile (the Hurricanes ones are pretty poor BTW

11 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

A word of caution of Sky Decals,  they are cheap, and provide oodles of options,  but they are poorly researched,  as @azureglo points out a third he find no PROFILE for,  let alone a photo.

If you are not an accuracy freak then this may not be a problem,   I did have a trawl through the two JaPo fw190D volumes trying to match up schemes with not much success.

I know other Sky decals sheets look great, but are let down in detail. (wrong colours and details etc)   

Sorry to be such a joyless modelling nazi, but worth mentioning,  though if the stenciles and crosses are good, plus afew schemes, then maybe worthwhile (the Hurricanes ones are pretty poor BTW

From my mind, I recall finding photos for Oskar Romm's and Rudel's aircraft (both are on the sheet).

I have no doubt the decals are of good quality, they're Cartograf printed.

Busy day in the paint room, preshaded and RLM 76 applied. 

45875418155_6412947ec5_b.jpg

46065576374_27fc5b2043_b.jpg

As usual Mr Color & levelling thinner makes painting a breeze and cleanup in minutes. Tomorrow may see some RLM 75 going on if I get the masking done early enough, off to the movies as I'm emigrating to Amsterdam this year, this sounded appropriate. Man I love this little kit even if it is 25 26 years old!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Hey Troy, stuff like that doesn't really bother me. I tend to do a "dramatised" version of history. Besides, for me,  its really about the skill and craft*, historical accuracy doesn't come into it for me or the intended recipients  at all. I'm into building models not lengthy forum discussions on rivet numbers and placements, RLM numbers etc.

That said, my choice seems to have been a figment of the decal designers imagination, most refs show Wubke's White 1 as having the "papagei" striping" ( see i do do history occasionally!)

* or as in my case, lack thereof

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, azureglo said:

Hey Troy, stuff like that doesn't really bother me. I tend to do a "dramatised" version of history. Besides, for me,  its really about the skill and craft*, historical accuracy doesn't come into it for me or the intended recipients  at all. I'm into building models not lengthy forum discussions on rivet numbers and placements, RLM numbers etc.

Man, I wish I had been like you when younger, I used to obsess myself with RLM 76 and it's correct shade. Now I paint all my post 1941 Luftwaffe planes with RLM 65, and it looks nice.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sturmovik said:

Man, I wish I had been like you when younger, I used to obsess myself with RLM 76 and it's correct shade. Now I paint all my post 1941 Luftwaffe planes with RLM 65, and it looks nice.

Right on baby! Wanna see what I do to Spitfires?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, azureglo said:

That said, my choice seems to have been a figment of the decal designers imagination, most refs show Wubke's White 1 as having the "papagei" striping" ( see i do do history occasionally!)

* or as in my case, lack thereof

Hi Anil 

I added this as other commented on them, and  it was just as a general warning to other as to their provenance.   

Great for your purposes,  not so much perhaps for others,  and it was a note on Sky Decals in general.   

There is also Sky's Decals,  who do some very well researched Israeli sheets.... 

Your note on Wubke's white 1 sums up their research....

This may be of  passing interest

super.jpg

neat work as always,  and a Fw190D in racing colours would look rather neat,  I presume you have seen they post war Finish 109's used as racers? 

cheers

T

• Like 1

Freehanded the very bright Mr Color RML82. Not sure if I like the effect, it seems very blotchy and uneven, but lets see what happens under some weathering and flat coat.

45914082255_1a2c53a4b8_b.jpg

To compare, I blutack masked the fuselage to see the difference. At this scale, the very soft freehand edges dont look as good as the blutack masked edge. A little RLM 75 mottling and its markings spraying tomorrow, found my Sotar 20/20 stops working if ypu let cellulose thinners anywhere near the air valve so spend a tedious couple of hours dismantling and replacing miniature o-rings...

31887461787_59b95ea354_b.jpg

46776565052_0c6e13b671_b.jpg

Cheers

Anil

• Like 3

Beautiful painting so far, but I think that Sky have given the wrong green here. All the other decal manufacturers I know of (I have a *lot* of Dora decals!) show a dark green with RLM 75. Whether this is the green version of RLM 81, what has until recently been described as RLM 83 or maybe RLM 71, I no longer know!

As far as I know, the bright green was only used alongside a dark green or brown-violet as a main camouflage colour unless, as in the case of the  extant D-13, it had an in-service repaint, and even then it looks like it was just one of several colours used.

It would be interesting to know what this dark green, formerly known as RLM 83 is, if we are to assume that RLM 83 is now a dark blue. I'm not convinced it was the green shade of '81, as some aircraft have both dark green *and* brown violet main camouflage colours.

It didn't seem that long ago that we thought we knew what the late war Luftwaffe colours were!

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1