This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Crane

Academy 1/72 Hellcat

I have 3 Spitfires going on but I am not happy with my clear coats. I thought it may be due to the cold winter air. In the meantime, my wife wanted to stop in the new Hobby Lobby that just opened, so I took her and walked around the store. All models were on sale, so I picked this kit up for $9.09. I figured it would be a fun build. It will be my first Academy kit and my first 1/72 scale build. I was so impressed with the details and fit, I'm putting some time into it.

46511441002_558ec3d678_c.jpg

comparing it to my Eduard kit....

46511433772_05c360a76d_c.jpg

Trouble area 1 - the sprue attached to the prop. at the 2 rounded (bolts?) in center of picture, I had a tough time trying to reshape them

46511427292_3cafa62fa7_c.jpg

seam inside the cockpit needs attention (right below the sight)

31622438657_20641299db_c.jpg

trouble area 2 - canopy ridges are not pronounced, and I'm having a tough time trying to follow the outline with a blade, masks are as much as the model, so I am trying to get it done without

31622441107_45a15bcec8_c.jpg

no filler needed so far 

44745672820_f2ab37d154_c.jpg

Had a similair issue with the canopy on an Academy Airacobra other than that a nice little kit for the price.

Watching this keenly as I have one in stock, along with (3-4?) Eduard, a Matchbox,  Hobby Boss (X2) & Italeri. We don't see many other than Eduard made now days, so this makes a welcome change.

Steve.

Hi Crane,

so far so good! I have this kit in the proverbial stash too, and for some unexplained reasons, I have never been a great fan of the Hellcat!!! But they look so good in French Navy roundels that this is how it will be built... one day. I even bought, for another unexplained reason, a very comprehensive resin after market set that details the engine and cockpit ad nauseam... Yummy yummy!

So yes, I will be another one lurking in the shadows and watching you create a masterpiece!

Keep having fun!

JR

Posted (edited)

16 holes filled, all major building/sanding is complete

canopy mask solution still elusive

I missed a fit issue and only noticed it after gluing the main underside to the fuselage. It would have been an easy fix, but now I have to work around it. With a little sanding, the main underside would have seated where it should have - more toward the rear of the plane.

I was not going to add the eft, but got bored waiting for glue to dry and put it together.

39654211993_b7a88fed9e_b.jpg

Edited by Crane

On 1/2/2019 at 3:52 PM, jean said:

Hi Crane,

so far so good! I have this kit in the proverbial stash too, and for some unexplained reasons, I have never been a great fan of the Hellcat!!! But they look so good in French Navy roundels that this is how it will be built... one day. I even bought, for another unexplained reason, a very comprehensive resin after market set that details the engine and cockpit ad nauseam... Yummy yummy!

So yes, I will be another one lurking in the shadows and watching you create a masterpiece!

Keep having fun!

JR

I have only recently begun to appreciate the stubby/tubby shape of the Hellcat. Once I did, I purchased 4 Hellcat kits!

finally got the canopy masked by what I am going to call the 'patch method'

then some black stynylrez for checking seams

45806216435_f85b211c17_b.jpg

thinking ahead about color options, on the left is MRP Intermediate Blue and Sea Blue, on the right is some no-name water based acrylics

I guess irl, the MRP colors are more realistic, and of course the Hellcat in the photo is a repainted museum piece, but it is tempting to go with brighter colors

39756757353_9a8811fb7b_b.jpg

Edited by Crane