1/60 Artesania Latina schooner Rhoda Mary

I have just finished building my first wooden model ship, the Artesania Latina schooner Rhoda Mary, and it only took me a little over thirty years to build!  Yes, I started building this model ship when I lived in England.  I had got as far as completing the hull when a job opportunity came up to work in America.  There I met my wonderful wife and so I stayed.  We bought the model to America and I completed all the deck fixtures and lower masts when we moved to the countryside.  Here I had plenty of other projects to do, and then we got goats, lots of goats!  I never seemed to have the time to get back to my hobby.  As time went by I promised myself that when I retired I would complete this model.

In 2017 the company I worked for decided to move all the North American technical support to Northern Ireland.  Not finding any other job I reluctantly concluded that I was now retired.  Remembering my promise and being inspired by Bart Gradecki’s post of the Artesania Latina revenue cutter Dallas, I got out my model, dusted her off and got back to work.  I have just added the finishing touch.

The schooner Rhoda Mary was built in Truro, England, by John Stephens. Originally built as a two-master, the third mast was added in 1898.  This 1/60 scale model was a good kit for a novice to build, though the instructions could have been much better.  I had to replace the anchors and added a ship’s boat.  Additionally, I used black rigging thread for the shrouds, brown thread for the standing rigging, and I used the white thread supplied in the kit for all the running rigging.  I also ran short of a few parts, so thanks to Cornwall Model Boats and others for their help in providing these parts.  For more information about the Rhoda Mary, please see the Rhoda Mary Project, http://www.rhoda-mary.co.uk/

So, what’s next for 2019?  I also have the Artesania Latina revenue cutter Dallas kit.  Let’s hope this model ship doesn’t take me another thirty years to build! 😊

Comments and suggestions are most welcome. 

Thanks, and Happy New Year,
Iain White

IMG_0658IMG_0659IMG_0660IMG_0661IMG_0662IMG_0663IMG_0664IMG_0665IMG_0666IMG_0667IMG_0668IMG_0669

Photo from the Rhoda Mary Project of the Rhoda Mary arriving in port:

Rhoda-Mary

• Like 21

Thank you Stuart, Beefy, Steve, and Keith for the nice comments. 

That makes three completed models since moving to America: a 1/48 scale B-17 I built for my father-in-law (he was a bombardier but the war ended for his first combat mission), a Napoleonic figure, and this ship.  I think this is my best, and largest, model so far.  I'm pleased with how it turned out. 

I have started building the revenue cutter Dallas - I'll post some pics in the work-in-progress section soon.  I have already made one mistake - READ THE INSTRUCTIONS...  I missed the step to cut out a notch in the keelson for the masts.  I'll fix that tonight.

Thanks,  Iain

• Like 1

• 2 years later...