Neptune radome question........

mackem01

I've been looking for a radome in 48th to convert my Neptune to a UK machine using the Tiger models kit as a starting point. I haven't had much luck in finding one but rummaging

in the stash today I found a forgotten AEW Skyraider. Could anyone with the "gen" let me know if it's useable on my Neptune, would it be the same basic size & shape??

T.I.A....

Edited by mackem01

Mackey which sub-type of Neptune does your kit depict?  If it’s a P2V-5 or’-7 the radome is, for modelling purposes, common and should be used.  It was located 3 feet further aft in RAF aircraft than on the later -7 but shape and size were unaltered AFAIK.  The Skyraider radome would only serve as a basis for an awful lot of filler I think.

Paul, thanks, had not heard of Tigger Models either. I have found their website, but it seems they don't do the Neptune anymore... I left an inquiry on the site, but in the meantime, can anyone shed any light on this?

Robert

Afternoon Robert, @RobertF

'tigger' @tigger is a member of this site, why not send him a P.M.?

I know that a number of his vac forms are manufactured to order, so a quick line on here, to go with the e-mail to his business site may get a faster answer? You can but try.

HTH

Paul

3 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Your right PhoenixII, usual finger trouble - hands like feet!

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2: Come down and join us at North Riding, I could do with a like foot!

Paul

• Haha 1

A quick Google search suggests that the Tigger P2V is a -7 (reportedly an AP-2H, which did not have the ASW radar) and the RAF MR.1, which is presumably your goal, is a -5 with the radar. There are significant differences in the forward fuselage (length, canopy, bomb bay length, nose landing gear well location), among other things between the -5 and -7, but a vacuform kit reduces the degree of difficulty. See http://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2016/02/early-p2vs.html.

Stever219 is correct about the same shape and different location of the -5 and -7 radomes. However, they both utilized an APS-20 radar so the radome approximates that of the AD-5W (and other U.S. Navy carrier-based AEW airplanes for that matter). The interface with the fuselage is different, most notably at the front end (from the side, the P2V's is more or less vertical from the bottom of the fuselage down to the most forward point on the radome whereas the AD's curves aft going up from the most forward point on the radome) and of course the aft end of the radome is truncated at the beginning of the bomb bay. No hill for a stepper as they say in Tennessee.

Some notes on the position of the nose and main landing gears: https://tailhooktopics.blogspot.com/2014/02/hasagawa-p2v-neptune-kit.html

• Like 1