Short Sunderland in 1/32nd scale

2 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Once you get over the initial hurdle of having to cut out and make your own parts, kits like this are great fun. They do provide challenges from time to time, but for me it's more the thought process of overcoming these rather than the actual execution that's the tricky bit.

I couldn't agree more. I've only built 3 vacform kits but I absolutely love the fact that I have to use (and improve) my skills to make them into something special.

Ian

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Tom, that looks magnificent, I've been following this thread for some time and every visit is a joy. 

The exhaust markings on the wing are particularly impressive, the look as though a big motor has been working hard, with the exhaust departing at some speed! 

Thanks, Peter - with the long over-water patrols the engines were certainly leaned out as much as possible. After consulting references the lighter grey lead deposits were a must, and the bonus is it brings some additional interest to the wings, too!

16 hours ago, Tail-Dragon said:

This is, without doubt, the model of the year (decade, century?). One hopes that this model will eventually be displayed in a museum somewhere so that it can be enjoyed by thousands!

Model of the year? I doubt that very much - but terribly kind of you to say so. It may end up in a museum one day and I'm rapidly running out of display space!

16 hours ago, Brandy said:

I couldn't agree more. I've only built 3 vacform kits but I absolutely love the fact that I have to use (and improve) my skills to make them into something special.

Ian

We are both singing from the same hymn sheet here, Ian!

• Like 2

Wow, terrific work, I went through all posts and will have to again. 
This might be something I’d like to tackle.  I have some experience with vax forms (20,000 Leagues Natilus, Land of the Giants Spindrift and some other aircrafts). I like BIG, and I like.......flying boats.

I do have a few questions, before I decide to undertake this.  
1.  Where can I source 1/32 plans?

2.  I’ve read (and must re-read), what should be used for engines and cowl rings and flaps?I’m hoping, I could buy one and cast, may be less expensive than buying 4 or buy a 1/32 B17/Beaufighter for just a few parts.

3.  For scribbing, did you only use the dental pick? 
4.  Are the camouflage colours straight from the bottle or mix? Brand? Number?   I’m in Canada so I’d probably have to find matching Tamiya, if I can’t find.

just lining up my eggs before I decide.   Thank you, and fantastic work, you inspire me.

Edited by AirRick
  • Like 1

On 3/7/2022 at 1:32 AM, AirRick said:

Wow, terrific work, I went through all posts and will have to again. 
This might be something I’d like to tackle.  I have some experience with vax forms (20,000 Leagues Natilus, Land of the Giants Spindrift and some other aircrafts). I like BIG, and I like.......flying boats.

I do have a few questions, before I decide to undertake this.  
1.  Where can I source 1/32 plans?

2.  I’ve read (and must re-read), what should be used for engines and cowl rings and flaps?I’m hoping, I could buy one and cast, may be less expensive than buying 4 or buy a 1/32 B17/Beaufighter for just a few parts.

3.  For scribbing, did you only use the dental pick? 
4.  Are the camouflage colours straight from the bottle or mix? Brand? Number?   I’m in Canada so I’d probably have to find matching Tamiya, if I can’t find.

just lining up my eggs before I decide.   Thank you, and fantastic work, you inspire me.

Many thanks!

To answer your questions:

1) Plans came with the kit - I’m not sure of the source but they have an ‘enlarged from a smaller scale’ feel to them. My advice would be to source some decent 1/72 plans and enlarge accordingly. 

2) The engines in this build are a hybrid of HK Models’ Wright Cyclones mated to some Revell Beaufighter Hercules parts to make a resemblance of a Pegasus. Parts came from my spares stash and a kind donation from a fellow modeller. There are aftermarket engines available but I wasn’t willing to spend £25 per engine! Cowl rings, props and cowl flaps are Beaufighter and the nacelles themselves are the kit’s. Exhausts were home made. 

3) All scribing was done with a dental pick, dymo tape and flexible rules. 

4) Paints are all Xtracolor enamels, lightened and darkened in places to give some tonal variation. Uppers are Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey with Sky lowers. 

I hope that helps?

Tom

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom,

Plans are no longer offered with the vac kit and I’m having difficulty finding a true 1/72 to scale to resize from. As well,I’m not sure if our print centre can produce them that size either, if I found some 1/72.

seems the balsa PDF plans on EBay are less helpful without panelling as they are for balsa builds.

I was wondering, hoping, now that your build is complete if you would sell the plans?  How un-accurate are they?

At least, they would be a starting point. 

What say you :) ?

thanks

4 hours ago, AirRick said:

Hi Tom,

Plans are no longer offered with the vac kit and I’m having difficulty finding a true 1/72 to scale to resize from. As well,I’m not sure if our print centre can produce them that size either, if I found some 1/72.

seems the balsa PDF plans on EBay are less helpful without panelling as they are for balsa builds.

I was wondering, hoping, now that your build is complete if you would sell the plans?  How un-accurate are they?

At least, they would be a starting point. 

What say you :) ?

thanks

Not a problem - I'm nearly done with them so you are more than welcome to have them. 

They seem fairly accurate, but I'll be totally honest and say rivet-counting is not my thing. Either way, they're a good starting point and cover the MI/MkII so keep that in mind if you're doing a later variant. 

Send me a PM with your details and we'll sort something out.

Tom