Short Sunderland in 1/32nd scale

Afternoon guys and gals,

Progress has been slow on this recently as I got to the point where I knew I needed to start to cockpit interior or there was a real danger I would lose steam on this build. I HATE doing cockpits so struggled a bit with motivation to get this done - it's all had to be made from scratch so it's rather tedious. 

Before I go any further I'll say that don't use this build as a reference for your own Sunderland models as I've used a bit of poetic licence here and there, but hopefully you'll agree it looks the part. 

The seats and instrument panel (including the radio) were all made from plastic card (Airscale's excellent etched bezels were used too) along with some bits and bobs from the spares box and Millput for the seat cushions. Control columns were made from Evergreen and some paper clips cut and bent to the correct shape. I found some 1/32nd seatbelts which did the job - pictures of MkII pilots' seats were hard to come by but they'll do:

Cockpit

Individual parts painted up:

DSC_0006

And positioned as they will be in the cockpit:

DSC_0010

DSC_0012

When dry-fitted into the flightdeck, all fits as it should:

DSC_0019

I've also had the airbrush out and given the front turret area and cockpit and window surrounds a squirt of interior green so the glazing can be added when the time comes:

DSC_0017

I've still got to make the overhead panel that'll go under the roof of the cockpit glazing, but that can wait until another day. 

I think I'm going to do something more fun next and maybe have a crack at the beaching gear. 

Take care all,

Tom

• Like 43
  • Thanks 1

Great stuff Tom, it looks like you had fun doing this step so the beaching gear will be an absolute scream! I love that you even added the body of the instruments behind the instrument panel.

Richie

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Fritag said:

How can you not enjoy creating little works of art like those Tom? :D

You’re too kind - the problem is they just take so long to make I lose momentum and that’s always dangerous for me as I start looking for excuses to start another model. Still, at least they’re done now!

2 hours ago, _alfisti_ said:

This build is just a joy to follow, most of your updates left me speechless.

Thank you - now you know how we all feel when we see your builds! Your B-52 is really inspiring!

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well they all look good enough to me. 

I presume that's armour plate behind the LH seat? That should encourage the co-pilot to get his own command eh?

Yes amour plate it is. I couldn’t help but think it a bit harsh on the co-pilot :huh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well they all look good enough to me. 

I presume that's armour plate behind the LH seat? That should encourage the co-pilot to get his own command eh?

I believe that only the pilot had back armour in most of the RAF Multi Engined aircraft, certainly the case in the Lancaster. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy all,

I've concentrating my recent efforts on the beaching gear for the big Sunderland - I was for a while considering a water diorama but then it occurred to me that I don't have a 5ft by 5ft display area so wheels it is.

I love the challenges kits of this nature bring and the research that needs to be done as it always throws up so much information about a particular aircraft. It looks as if there were three distinct types of beaching gear, all with their subtle differences, and that does not include all of the different float, wheel and tyre combinations. The version I photographed at Solent Sky looks to be either very late or post-war, therefore not suitable for an earlier MkII of around 1941 vintage. It seems they were painted differently too - some left in natural metal and others in anti-rust red. 

Strength is a must on such a large model, and I did consider using a brass core but my soldering skills are not up to the job. Instead, I raised my stash of spare sprue and found some really chunky parts from the HK B-17 kit and used these as a starting point to form the core of the beaching gear. I used a perpendicular junction point as this provided a very strong 90-degree angle for the main strut and axle without having to worry about the joint failing at any time:

51724985577_1f0d02b4b5_b.jpg

Over a few sessions I then built up the external structure with plastic card, Evergreen and more sprue and detailed them according to references:

51724123699_0cdc6f74a1_b.jpg

The rear beaching gear is a more complex affair and is a sturdy box-like structure with a cradle for the rear of the hull to rest in:

51722658902_b95c89ff28_b.jpg

Here are the main components ready for a trip to the spray booth:

51723719643_96ca735354_b.jpg

I've decided to go for anti-rust red as it'll add a splash of colour. After the base-coat they have received a light wash and some rust streaks etc - the real things got terribly battered so I may add some more at a later stage:

51726673670_57c356bda0_c.jpg

These then slot snugly on to the forward fuselage:

51725792321_d231e0df7d_b.jpg

And under the rear of the hull:

51726673665_a1d426e1f2_c.jpg

You'll notice a distinct absence of wheels at this stage - a friend is kindly helping me out by designing and printing me a set that will be added in due course. Here's an early screen shot of how they'll look:

3D rendering

And now here we are: sitting proudly on it's own three legs and waiting for the next stage of detailing. For some reason, my cat never looks impressed with my models - she must get that from the wife!

51726673660_6b468a1210_b.jpg

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 36

16 hours ago, tomprobert said:

considering a water diorama but then it occurred to me that I don't have a 5ft by 5ft display area so wheels it is.

Wot - no swimming pool?

This is brilliant work. A Sunderland is a big job in 1/72 so this is doubly impressive! I have been following with interest.

Beaching gear comes in various colours. I have seen a grey one which had traces of red and green paint as well.

• Like 1

Well I'm speechless. Your work and skill makes my Airfix 1/72nd Sunderland look like a "half-baked potato"! Seriously your perseverance is to be applauded and I certainly wouldn't attempt building such a beauty despite my  50+ years of ham-fisted modelling. Thoroughly enjoying your progress from sunny Melbourne.:clap:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tomprobert said:

my cat never looks impressed with my models

I dunno; maybe that’s a cat look of supreme admiration…..I’m wearing my best human expression of the same right now as it happens :D

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Brandy said:

I think the decision to use sprue is a good one. No question of the strength there. I'm looking forward to seeing those printed wheels!

Ian

Fingers crossed it'll be up to the job. The model isn't all that heavy to be honest - lots of big empty spaces within the fuselage and wings so it doesn't weigh much. 

18 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The cat is probably thinking that the Sunderland is too big to pounce on…

Smashing work!

Regards,

Adrian

15 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Perhaps your cat is holding off because of the “flying porcupine” reputation.

Top beaching gear, Tom, obvs

I am very fond of dear Molly, but 8 of her 9 lives will be wiped out in one go if she damages my beloved Sunderland!

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

As I said on LSP, the cat may not be impressed but I very much am! The beaching gear is beautifully done.

Many thanks, Zac!

5 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Wot - no swimming pool?

This is brilliant work. A Sunderland is a big job in 1/72 so this is doubly impressive! I have been following with interest.

Beaching gear comes in various colours. I have seen a grey one which had traces of red and green paint as well.

Thank you - and I did umm and ahh about the colour for a while. I thought the red would add a nice splash of colour on an otherwise drab scheme, however. 

4 hours ago, bertielissie said:

Well I'm speechless. Your work and skill makes my Airfix 1/72nd Sunderland look like a "half-baked potato"! Seriously your perseverance is to be applauded and I certainly wouldn't attempt building such a beauty despite my  50+ years of ham-fisted modelling. Thoroughly enjoying your progress from sunny Melbourne.:clap:

That's' very kind - and it's great to have you along for the ride!

3 hours ago, Fritag said:

I dunno; maybe that’s a cat look of supreme admiration…..I’m wearing my best human expression of the same right now as it happens :D

You're very kind, Sir Fritag. Maybe that is how cats show appreciation - not that the mad purring and rubbing herself against my legs when it's food time is any comparison :D

Tom

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening folks,

A long overdue update on the Sunderland...

The last few weeks have been spent adding some of the finer details to the model as I prepare it for paint. The last major job was to add the cockpit glazing which is always a nerve-wracking experience as I regularly ruin canopies with wayward glue-sodden fingers and a host of other mishaps. However, this time things proceeded smoothly - the canopy itself was an excellent fit and the whole process was remarkably trouble free!

First job was to add the previously completed flightdeck details:

51809472792_98e3d09fed_c.jpg

Then the canopy itself was attached by holding it in place with tape and running Tamiya Extra Thin around the mating surfaces:

51810426331_82871e2b21_b.jpg

This was allowed to set for 24 hours and then I carefully masked the areas in need of protecting before blending the clear piece in with Milliput Fine:

51809472857_eaf0f376ee_b.jpg

When complete, the windows were marked out and cut from Tamiya tape before the whole cockpit area got a spray of RAF grey/green to ensure the frames are the correct colour when viewed from inside. I also attached the astrodome and DF loop which was a spare from and HK B-17:

DSC_0027

With that done, other smaller details were made and added such as the leading edge landing lights on the port wing (these will be fitted and painted after the main paint job is completed), the tip lights were made from clear sprue sanded to shape and the various other access panels were either sribed on or made from thin Evergreen strip:

DSC_0026

DSC_0037

The early Sunderlands were festooned with various aerials for sub-hunting and these have been made from various pieces of sprue and Evergreen - I have fitted those on the top of rear fuselage as they shouldn't get damaged but the remainder will be done after painting:

DSC_0050

DSC_0031

A beautiful set of 3D-printed wheels have also arrived to complete the hone-made beaching gear:

DSC_0052

So the airframe is now more or less ready for a mammoth session in the paint booth - you'll notice I've already sprayed her flanks in Medium Sea Grey in preparation for masking off the codes on her sides:

DSC_0041

DSC_0046

Speaking of paint - my go-to brand is Xtracolor's enamel range and I'm stocked up and ready to go!

DSC_0047

I may be a while but I'll be sure to update you when she's in her new dress.

All the best,

Tom

• Like 34