Short Sunderland in 1/32nd scale

2 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

but the scratching required

Don't be put off by that, just have a go! I finished my first scratch build this year and had only built straight out of the box before. Trust me, it's great fun and although daunting at first not as hard as you might imagine.

Richie

• Like 2

Tom,

On all counts this is a superlative build. Apart from being instructive, entertaining, too!

One thing I noticed, and forgive me if you've mentioned it before and I've missed it, in the photo of your daughter holding the model, the dorsal turret looks slightly off the centre line.

Is that correct, or is it just the angle your daughter is holding it, or you taking the photo from?

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 8:34 PM, RichieW said:

That's a great update, I was wondering how you would mount the floats and you've given a perfect explanation. 

Richie

Thanks, Richie!

On 9/27/2021 at 8:20 PM, Spookytooth said:

It all looks pretty solid from here Tom.

And big. (Fnar).

Simon.

It seems to be a fairly solid join between wing and float - the test will no doubt come when I'm manoeuvring it around the work area and it inevitably gets a whack!

On 9/27/2021 at 8:28 PM, gunpowder17 said:

Bravo Sir!    I love vacforms. This is keeping me inspired to do my 1/48 kit.

I've just seen your 1/48 project - great stuff. And hats off for tackling a resin kit - I've never got on with them personally and always go for a vac if possible. I'll look forward to further updates...

On 9/27/2021 at 10:16 PM, Space Ranger said:

Indeed. I'm stealing that method for future use myself!

Glad to be of service!

23 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

An excellent way to mount the float struts: simple, creative and strong!

Question: where are you going to display the finished model??

Thanks - the local boating lake is on standby. Seriously though, it'll live in the loft on some large shelving I have installed and come out every now and again for a trip to a model show or two.

14 hours ago, Lewis95 said:

Looks absolutely stunning. Almost tempts me to get a vacuform but the scratching required.... Hell, I still don't even use resin or etch!

Fortune favours the brave! Go for it and you'll never look back!

11 hours ago, RichieW said:

Don't be put off by that, just have a go! I finished my first scratch build this year and had only built straight out of the box before. Trust me, it's great fun and although daunting at first not as hard as you might imagine.

Richie

Not a truer word has been spoken!

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

Tom,

On all counts this is a superlative build. Apart from being instructive, entertaining, too!

One thing I noticed, and forgive me if you've mentioned it before and I've missed it, in the photo of your daughter holding the model, the dorsal turret looks slightly off the centre line.

Is that correct, or is it just the angle your daughter is holding it, or you taking the photo from?

Many thanks - and yes the mid upper is indeed offset to starboard. I have no idea of the reasoning behind this, but no doubt those who know more about Sunderlands than I do may be able to shed a little light.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 12:44 AM, Flight Line Media said:

Great work, Tom! Thanks for sharing every detail of your build to us. It has been very helpful.

My pleasure - and glad to have you following along!

Time for an update as it's been a while - life and work and everything else has been getting in the way and keeping me away from the bench. 

However for a change in pace and a break from working on the main airframe, I've began to work on the props. I once again have raided my stash of Beaufighter parts as the props are the same size and turn the same way. I've had to shorten the hubs a little to take the spinners which have come from the spares box (no idea what the were from) and made some new shafts from sprue to fit the modified engines:

51576535123_22e6d6caca_b.jpg

These will now need a squirt of paint and will be good to go. 

It's half term next week so I am hoping to get going again in earnest with this!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 13

5 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

If you set out now, you could paddle it there for next year.

With a good wind behind me, I could glide it there!

• Haha 4

On 10/11/2021 at 10:10 PM, rob85 said:

You don’t do small do you? The float is about the same size as my normal models! Fantastic work here, really impressive as ever.

Rob

I blame it on my eyes - my eyesight is very poor and I can't see small pieces :winkgrin:

• Haha 3

Really enjoying the Sunderland build. It's been a favourite of mine for many years, though I've only ever built the Airfix version as a child.

8 hours ago, tomprobert said:

I blame it on my eyes....

Just wait until your eyes are as bad as mine! You'll need a bigger table! 😉 

b17064.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, tomprobert said:

@Army_Air_Force that is incredible! Have I seen this at Thorpe Abbotts in the museum there?

No, that was my smaller 1/10 scale version, built between 1988 and 1993, with a wingspan around 10 feet. The one in the picture above is 1/6 scale and spans a little over 17 feet!

Here's an in-flight shot of the 1/6 scale version.
b17_low_pass.jpg

• Like 11

Evening all,

I've spent a bit more time at the bench this week, as well as seeing a 1:1 scale Sunderland in the flesh - well a Sandringham actually but close enough. We had a weekend down in Southampton and whilst there I sweet-talked the wife into letting me spend an afternoon at the Solent Sky Museum. If you're in the area it's well worth a visit - lots of great exhibits and history about Southampton during the war years but the star attraction for me was of course their rather beautiful Sandringham that used to fly for Ansett:

51610098137_52f321b7a2_b.jpg

51610098172_163e38236c_b.jpg

They even let you dive inside - the interior is a little different to the one I'm building but it was great to have a nose around nevertheless. I imagine this example is a bit more comfortable than the Sunderland!

51610097917_13f8b0124a_b.jpg

The main reason for my visit was photograph and have a measure of the beaching gear which is a job I'm going to be tackling soon, and I managed to get plenty of useful reference shots:

51611576504_e9f16527a3_b.jpg

51610914561_149a805cb4_b.jpg

On to the model itself, I thought it time to have a closer look at the transparencies. It's important to get the fit of these correct just in case there was some additional structural work to be done before commencing on making their interiors. The turrets were carefully cut from the backing sheet and test fitted to the model. Here's the rear and mid-upper in situ - both fit really well:

DSC_0362

The only work needed here was build up the rear turret fairing a little more with card and Milliput.

The cockpit glazing itself fits remarkably well - phew!

DSC_0360

For the nose turret, the MkII I'm building still had the early type fitted. This will be installed in the fully retracted position so I have made and added a platform for it to sit on as well as adding the details around the opening itself:

DSC_0367

The props have also been painted and lightly weathered:

DSC_0358

And look the part when installed on the engines:

DSC_0376

DSC_0368

DSC_0372

And that, boys and girls, brings you up to speed.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 23

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The chaps at Solent Sky were great when I went a few years ago. Lovely museum.

Your Sunderland is really beginning to take shape now!

Regards,

Adrian

Agreed - it’s a great place to visit and the staff were very helpful and knowledgable. Until I was up close and personal with the Sunderland/Sandringham again I’d forgotten what a massive aircraft it is!