Short Sunderland in 1/32nd scale

Oh my word,  this is huge. I have missed this, sorry, what a fantastic job you have done on the interior structures , it look marvellous.   I hope you don't mind me popping by late and and adding comments. 

I did show SWMBO your shot of the fuselage halves on the dining table and her words were don't you get any ideas!!!

Truly great work 

Chris

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh my word,  this is huge. I have missed this, sorry, what a fantastic job you have done on the interior structures , it look marvellous.   I hope you don't mind me popping by late and and adding comments. 

I did show SWMBO your shot of the fuselage halves on the dining table and her words were don't you get any ideas!!!

Truly great work 

Chris

You're most welcome to tag along, Chris. And as for SWMBO... where is her sense of adventure!

To be fair, my dearly beloved is not overly impressed with another huge model but I just give her regular reminders about her rather large shoe/handbag collection and suddenly she goes quiet...

Edited by tomprobert
Typos
  • Haha 3

• 4 months later...

I've had the Sunderland out again over the weekend. At some point in my future I'll learn to focus on just one model at a time, but I seem incapable of that at the moment...

Now that I'm happy with the interior structure I've done the final positioning of the bulkheads which are now all firmly in place and give a lovely and strong structure to the model:

51057955471_fda49474ae_b.jpg

I've also begun working on the hefty support frames for the pilots' seats - these will be fitted after the fuselage is together but it's easier to work out dimensions and positioning whilst the halves are separate:

51058038067_88a094cb53_b.jpg

I've also made the mooring winch which sits in the nose as well as the racks for additional depth-charges that reside in the centre bomb room:

51057231763_6b1d57363a_b.jpg

These obviously need to be painted before adding - and then I'll be making some of the smaller details to add to the visible areas of the fuselage before I can close her up!

Regards to all,

Tom

• Like 20

17 minutes ago, perdu said:

Perfecter and perfecter

Superb work, I love the bits my dad would have dealt with day to day, those depth charge racks just make the centre section pop.

(Not literally, oops)

Ha ha - I like what you did there :)

The racks and charges will hopefully add a bit of interest - although not a great deal will be seen once the massive wings are on. I can't decide whether to hang the charges on the racks internally, or have them slung under the wings... or maybe a mixture of both? :hmmm:

Tom

Nice work Tom, she is a bit of a beast.

Point of note though, if she was beached then the depth charges etc were removed to help with maneuvering, so I was told .

But modelers licence I suppose LOL.

Simon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, perdu said:

I cant remember if I asked dad but doesn't the rack winch allow for independent loading?

So how about a mix of both, port in, starboard out on the rails

I might just do that - it'll give a bit of visual interest.

13 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Nice work Tom, she is a bit of a beast.

Point of note though, if she was beached then the depth charges etc were removed to help with manoeuvring, so I was told .

But modelers licence I suppose LOL.

Simon.

I think you are right, Simon - however, as you suggest a bit of 'modellers' licence' can come into play here :)

• Like 1

I'm glad this thread has revived again as I've been watching it quietly from the sidelines. As others have said, it's superb work.

Mention of the depth charge racks has reminded me that I recently came across a fascinating clip on YT showing the procedure for arming the racks on each side of the Sunderland. It was quite a procedure and I've been looking for it so that I can post a link here, but I can't find it anywhere, not even in my viewing history. It seems to have completely disappeared. If I do find it, I'll post it.

On 22/03/2021 at 10:24, tomprobert said:

At some point in my future I'll learn to focus on just one model at a time, but I seem incapable of that at the moment...

I have a similar problem, but compared to me, you're laser focused and committed, as at least you finish something! :doh:

Good work.  Seeing how stretched your thumb and fingers were holding that fuselage, it's maffiss - my 1:48 kit seems tiny by comparison.

• 2 months later...

Evening all,

It's been a while since this build saw any action, so time for an overdue update...

Last time I'd been working on this I had made some good progress with the interior and was more or less ready to join the fuselage halves. I finished off adding some details such as the radio operator's chair to the flightdeck and the depth charge racks to the centre section, as this would be impossible to install once the fuselage was together. I'd also fabricated some beefy wing spars and attached these to the appropriate internal bulkheads:

DSC_0091

I also added some low-tac tape to the interior of the cabin windows to keep dust and debris entering the fuselage to the minimum - this can easily be removed after painting is complete:

DSC_0095

It was then that disaster struck - I was happily working away on the kitchen table when the need for a cuppa meant I got up from the table and unbeknown to me, my hoodie had caught on the rear fuselage and whole lot went crashing to the floor. Typically, it was the side where all the bulkheads were glued and as you can imagine, when it hit the tiled floor it was carnage. The interior sections all came away, some breaking into smaller parts. The nose section was totally destroyed and the flightdeck, stairs and forward floors all smashed into an unknown number of pieces. A mammoth, and totally morale-sapping repair job was needed. I simply picked the whole lot up and put it all into a bin liner - manging to overcome the desire to bin the whole thing - and put it into the back of the attic until I could gather my thoughts and find the mojo to repair it all...

...fast forward a few months and I was in the loft having a rummage and I came across a rather sorry bag of Sunderland parts. Suddenly the accident seemed a distant memory and it was time to get going again. The interior was painstaking rebuilt over a few evenings and then it was a case of adding the two fuselage halves together. This went without a hitch, and here we are now:

DSC_0131 (2)

DSC_0133

DSC_0134

DSC_0136

DSC_0138

DSC_0143

It sure is a big old brute - here it is alongside a 1/32nd F-4J that's entering the home straight, and that ain't small!

DSC_0146

Barring any further mishaps, this build is back on track!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Was wondering where this had got to, and I'm rapt to see it back in production.

Not sure my mojo would have stood up to repairing the damage described, but delighted that your has. Onward and upward !!

Rog

• Like 1

Phew!!! My heart was in my mouth when I read the words disaster struck ! So glad you didn't bin this and have done a fantastic job getting it all back together, great work and good to see this huge beastie back on the go again. 

Chris

• Like 1

Great save, so pleased it didn't get binned. I've never seen a 1/32 Sunderland before, this is going to be immense in every possible meaning of the word!

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, folks - it's good to be back on this build again...

The long process of scribing the panel detail has begun. This is the culmination of two nights' work so far - with at least another long session needed to finish the upper fuselage:

51235572285_32f584f87f_b.jpg

51233802212_c624a4e050_b.jpg

51235285229_4fb2c39507_b.jpg

51234506451_1f81390d5e_b.jpg

Back soon with an update over the weekend, all being well.

All the best,

Tom

• Like 16

26 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

(.../...)This is the culmination of two nights' work so far

Hello, Tom,

reassure us: when do you sleep? :sleeping:  🤪 😂

It's a fantastic job, and a fantasy as this "shoe" is big!

The mishap of the fall is a memory now, and there is no apparent trace.

I admire the regularity of the portholes that you have dug.

Do you think the dewclaws will hold the wings well, or are you going to add stems, like knitting needles?

Regards,

Eric-Snafu35