Short Sunderland in 1/32nd scale

Modelling is a funny hobby - well for me anyway - as I lose interest in a project and not touch it for months, sometimes years, and then suddenly the mojo returns and off we go!

50446263043_e3cb644752_z.jpgSunderland by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The big Sunderland is back on the bench (or in this instance, the kitchen table) baby!

• Like 27

Get to it Tom .... Sunderland's under lock down so no excuses.

Or in other words finish the year with a bang. You will at least be able to say something positive came out of it. 

Looking forward to the progress reports.

Dick

Would be nice to meet up again sometime next year been a long time.

Edited by jenko

2 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Good to see the return of this Tom, I hope yourmojo last a long time so we can enjoy the kits progression . . . . . . . . .

Me too! My problem is I hop about from build to build too much as the interest wanes in one and then I get distracted by another. It’s funny how I’d not fancied working in this at all for an absolute age and then suddenly it’s a case of let’s go!

2 hours ago, jenko said:

Get to it Tom .... Sunderland's under lock down so no excuses.

Or in other words finish the year with a bang. You will at least be able to say something positive came out of it. 

Looking forward to the progress reports.

Dick

Would be nice to meet up again sometime next year been a long time.

Thanks, Dick - I very much doubt it’ll be finished before the years out but I am hoping to get a big of decent progress going on it. 

And yes - it’s been a while. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that this saga will soon be over and we can get back to some form of normality next year. 

Tom

1 hour ago, Spookytooth said:

Tom, I have just caught up with this "Beast" an by god she huge.

Especially when you see in comparison with the kitchen table.

Keep up the good work sir.

Simon. 

She sure is a big girl, Simon - just the way I like ‘em 😂

• Haha 2

Evening all,

I've been making some good progress this week on the big Sunderland. Lots of plastic card and Evergreen strip to the rescue, combined with a fair bit of reference checking and head-scratching, and I now have the basic structures of the bomb room and forward fuselage/flightdeck completed.

The bomb room has been kitted out with the basic structure - the doors are actually open on the real aircraft but as I'm not detailing the areas either fore or aft I've used a bit of creative licence and added some doors:

Pic 1

I've made the basics of the bomb racks which will eventually carry the depth charges and added these to the roof structure, which slots nicely between the bulkheads:

Pic 2

The whole structure then sits nicely into the fuselage, which has had its sidewalls detailed with Evergreen for the ribs and stringers:

Pic 5

I've also been busy detailing the underside of the flightdeck floor and added the stairs:

Pic 6

And I've also begun making the basic structure of the flightdeck itself - again the door in the real aircraft would be open but I'm adding large spars to support the wing here so have added a closed door:

Pic 7

This again fits nicely in the forward fuselage section, with more Evergreen for the sidewall structures:

Pic 8

I've also begun making the floor for the forward nose section which has numerous perforations, I imagine for water drainage. I think I may have made these a little large but we'll see how they look under some paint:

Pic 9

The fuselage is doing its best to come apart here, but you can see how the internals sit in the model:

Pic 11

Here's a sense of scale - a Halfords' rattle can is dwarfed by this beast!

Pic 12

A few more bits to make and add before I can give a first squirt of paint to see how it all looks - a nice mixture of interior green and natural metal should bring it all to life nicely.

Until next time, 

Tom

• Like 34

Excellent job so far Tom As always. What amazes me and am a tad jealous of, is how you keep all your interior bracing so straight and practically, perfectly perpendicular in every way. No mater what, mine always looks like the path of a drunken sailor. I Salute you Sir!:worthy:

• Like 1

On 10/18/2020 at 7:57 PM, Marklo said:

Very impressive. Lots of scope for detail on such a vast model.

Indeed there is - although I'm only going to be detailing the parts that are visible. I've learnt the hard way in the past that hours can be spend making parts for interiors that will never be seen again...

On 10/18/2020 at 8:00 PM, patmaquette said:

Wow, lovely work! I'll follow along if I may,

Hope all goes well,

Pat

Of course, Pat - the more the merrier!

On 10/18/2020 at 9:41 PM, jenko said:

Is this model classified as a second home??

Great work as always,

Dick

I hope not, Dick - the Council Tax bill will be astronomical!

23 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Excellent job so far Tom As always. What amazes me and am a tad jealous of, is how you keep all your interior bracing so straight and practically, perfectly perpendicular in every way. No mater what, mine always looks like the path of a drunken sailor. I Salute you Sir!:worthy:

Thank you, kind sir! I can assure you it's more luck then judgement. 

10 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Flipping heck. That’s mahoosive. Excellent modelling skills on display as always.

Trevor

Thanks, Trevor - appreciated!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

I hope not, Dick - the Council Tax bill will be astronomical!

Telling them you live in Sunderland might help. ..... Sort of true,  :whistle:  :doh: :P

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Can I suggest a trip to Southampton to the Solent Sky Collection? 

They have a Sandringham S25V, inside the building... and it is normally open to visitors. 

OK, it is an evolved Sunderland, but it may provide inspiration and ideas...

https://www.solentsky.org/exhibitions

Peter

Agreed. A great local museum. Me and my son asked politely, and were allowed to mooch around the flight deck.

36976545622_21afbb3aa5_z.jpg

Sandringham flying boat flight deck by Mike, on Flickr

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

I've learnt the hard way in the past that hours can be spend making parts for interiors that will never be seen again...

Talk to me. I’m mostly WWI and interwar these days and the amount of interior detail that is totally invisible is almost depressing. Still I do enjoy finishing off an interior well.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 9:38 PM, wellsprop said:

I'm glad there are people on britmodeller mad enough to firstly make such a model, but secondly, share the process for all to enjoy 😂

Really looking forward to seeing this take shape!

You don't have to be mad to undertake projects such as this, but it certainly helps 😂

Good evening ladies and gents,

I've not updated this thread for a while but I've nevertheless been beavering away with the mighty Sunderland...

I've made four small tabs on the sill of each porthole which will support the glazing when the time comes. Once these have been painted black and the 'glass' is in, they should be all but invisible:

50600922833_cc4c3b300b_z.jpgPic 1 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've also sprayed the bulk of the interior and the bulkheads black for the areas that won't be seen. The forward section and basic flightdeck structure has been given a coat of British Interior Grey/Green:

50601782032_d1686d7a50_z.jpgPic 2 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50601665516_a7cd58ed27_z.jpgPic 3 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50600921938_bf2d482f73_z.jpgPic 4 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There's obviously lots more detailing to be done here, but the basic shapes are coming together quite nicely.

The 'bomb room' in the centre section has been given a base coat of Aluminium in preparation for more detailing:

50601664861_933b5cc738_z.jpgPic 5 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

When the fuselage is closed it should look busy enough when depth charges etc are hanging from the racks:

50601664536_bc2c64137c_z.jpgPic 6 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've begun making interlocking tabs to help alignment and the joining of the fuselage when the times comes - a must for vacs:

50601664326_160763096f_z.jpgPic 7 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

This will give a lovely strong join:

50601666236_22949fed3e_z.jpgPic 8 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Still lots to keep me occupied on the interior, so until next time...

Tom

• Like 22

So no armchairs and Chesterfields on the smoking deck then?

Lovely stuff as always, Tom. My other question would be....

Beaching gear or hanging from the ceiling? Or indeed, occupying the bath/hot tub? :laugh:

20 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Beaching gear or hanging from the ceiling? Or indeed, occupying the bath/hot tub? :laugh:

I did spy some lovely padded chairs just aft in the Billiard room.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Just imagine the delight of the crews on a 24hr patrol if that was the case!

This will eventually be sitting on beaching gear. It might be a bit big for a full on-water diorama...

10 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

I did spy some lovely padded chairs just aft in the Billiard room.

...where they’d go for a few celebratory frames and smoke after destroying a U-Boat...

Tom

• Haha 2