Short Sunderland in 1/32nd scale

18 hours ago, JohnT said:

Tom

those close up photos of the portholes gave me an idea on glazing. They appear to have a metal ring around the glazing. I have not thought it through but given their appearance might an option be to make round glazing with a “collar” and add from the outside once completed?  

Just a thought. You could make loads and only use the ones that work out best. 

I was thinking along the same lines, John - certainly for the opening portholes. 

17 hours ago, Julien said:

Looking good, you must be mad. I have a set of pics of the one at Hendon if you need them.

Julien

Thanks, Julien. If I need anything specific, I'll give you a shout. :)

14 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Tom, again happy to help - ask away anytime, I have the Sunderland manual for Mk I/II Sunderland which has

a lot of information regarding differences between early and latter marks.

I also have a truck load of Interior shots if they help? An example below

Photo, looking from Rear Spar in flight Engineers Station, past Main Spar onto rest of Flight Deck

The Glazing Transparencies (1:1 Diameter = 30.5cm) are sandwiched between the outer ring

(1:1 Diameter = 37.5cm) and an inner ring - I have an "Opening Porthole" from one of the RNZAF

Sunderland's my Dad worked on - have photos if needed

Bear in mind that the opening portholes (outer rings) are only found  on the forward section

of the Sunderland. There were only about 6-7 each side of hull. All the rest of the portholes were fixed

(glazing same diameter as opening)

Regards

Alan

Thanks again, Alan. I'm thinking about having the nose turret slid back so do you have anything showing the area immediately behind/below the turret? I've got some picture references but ideally I need the view you'd have standing on on the decking immediately below the turret looking out to the bow.

10 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

if you want a white one, a few Mk II Sunderlands survived to wear the later scheme

Here's my WIP (I think the first post in this link shows a 1/32 model)

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234930547-italeri-sunderland-mk-ii-raaf-10-squadron/

and finished model

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234940047-italeri-sunderland-mk-ii-raaf-10-squadron/

Yours is looking great so far and I will watch with interest.

I'm useless, and I mean useless, at getting a decent finish in white unless it's a pristine airliner, so I'm settled on a sky undersides and slate grey/dark sea grey uppers scheme. I like your work though!

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

You're off to a good start. I hope it's better than the Sanger kit. There's virtually nothing usable in the latter. The wings are different cross sections (and both completely wrong) and the fuselage halves are different in profile and also completely wrong cross sections. Even the other flying surfaces are all assymetrical / weird / plain wrong cross sections so in summary all the plastic in the packet is junk.

That doesn't surprise me to be honest. I've been working in Sanger's 1/48th B-52 and have run into all sorts of trouble... maybe the Combat Models' 1/48th Sunderland is better...?

4 hours ago, Mike said:

Blimey! :blink: It's not like you to start a massive model Tom... is it? :hmmm:

Indeed - at the moment it's finishing them that's the problem! The trouble is I have a lot less time for modelling these days with a young family, and I start a new project with the best intentions but run out of motivation - not like the old days before children when I could model all through my school holidays. Still - once the interior is done on this it'll be pretty straightforward as there's no landing gear and bays to have to scratch (the beaching gear looks pretty simple to do) or bomb bays to detail, etc., so I'm hoping motivation remains strong on this one :)

I've made a start on some of the interior bulkheads and have begun with the flightdeck, making the floor and rear section. The rear bulkhead has a door on the real aircraft which leads through the centre fuselage sections, but for strength I'll be keeping it solid. 

A top-tip to avoid wasting expensive plastic card when making kits like this to use a profile gauge and transfer the initial shape on to cardboard (I use an old cereal packet) and then, when the shape is perfect, copy it on to plastic card. This way, if you make any mistakes it doesn't matter!

45878649964_ac395fccdf_z.jpgIMG_0690 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Now you have a perfectly fitting floor and bulkhead with no wastage:

45878655784_f22edf96f1_z.jpgIMG_0692 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Next up will be the many bulkheads needed throughout the fuselage to keep things rigid - I'm back to school tomorrow though so progress will slow for a while. It's a shame when you have piles of books to mark when there's an exciting project like this on the bench :(

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 14

7 hours ago, tomprobert said:

Thanks again, Alan. I'm thinking about having the nose turret slid back so do you have anything showing the area immediately behind/below the turret? I've got some picture references but ideally I need the view you'd have standing on on the decking immediately below the turret looking out to the bow.

Hi Tom,

For what you need I think the following will hopefully help.

While photos are good for reference, sometimes perspective can be a lot

more insightful/enlightening, to this end I have included some of my Sunderland model photos

to help where things fit in (and having crawled through every imaginable part of a Sunderland,

my model rendition is reasonably accurate) even though in 1/72 scale

The Bow - note the roofing - in this photo (not so readily apparent is the bottom of the Bow

Tunnel Bulkhead which splits the roofing - you can make it out just in front of the tubular item

-that is the winding mechanism for the turret to retracted or wound out, handle is extreme right

f35f7f7c-d7fb-4c02-92d3-823b0d30db20.jpg

to give perspective note how the bulkhead lower sits further down - yes, you have to duck waddle in

there :D

c0e77c66-1e8c-4794-990c-73cac549d682.jpg

This is the Bow bulkhead looking at the forward side in Turret tunnel section

17bd54d3-0014-496e-8250-af9b57d3a1c9.jpg

Perspective red line annotates forward wall

c7fbf44d-0602-4925-8947-33bdfc01b2d1.jpg

Bow Section - note the Bow gunners footrest is currently stowed. it folds up onto the two triangular pieces

on the decking and forms a platform between the two horizontal side steps

35344a80-29fe-4f42-afc3-83477f602370.jpg

Gunners footrest un-stowed - also provides addition flooring for Mooring crew during mooring operations

d70741cf-b945-4584-8433-d249e941bd17.jpg

More of the bow, note Mooring bollard which stands upright and usually protruding over bow lip a little

when mooring, and turret is wound back - you can also see the turret entry from below

54d29aa1-92f1-4e75-b31c-2d3f5bc1d9e8.jpg

The Turret tunnel is accessible through a hatch  a little further aft of the turret

b3f8f910-c056-4189-a8ca-47520a795fd2.jpg

Standing up inside the bow tunnel looking forward (The yellow Bulkhead photo above is behind me)

55ef3018-acbe-4f92-bff9-cf2875a119bd.jpg

The turret/fairing section slides fore/aft on triangular shaped rails (which currently the photo is on another

hard drive (lets not go there))

In this photo, you can see the Turret ring bearing through the roof cutouts

7a0632d3-c2ff-42eb-bd7b-d32731f419b0.jpg

Finally this photo link will hopefully give you some more perspective of the bow roof upper

- Scrapped RNZAF Sunderland - Chatham Islands

Bow Section upper

Hope this is of help?

Regards

Alan

• Like 8

Alan those shots are just what I need - thank you so much. Looks like a lot of Evergreen strip is going to be needed!

All the best,

Tom

Afternoon all :)

Some more progress on the Sunderland to update you on...

One of the main problems when building big vacs like this the fact that due to the nature of the plastic and the fact there's no interior provided, the fuselage lacks structural integrity - especially when it comes to adding the wings and tail, etc. Therefore, lots of internal reinforcement is needed to provide enough strength for the model to be able to support itself.

So it was out with the profile gauge and thick plastic card, and slowly bulkheads began to emerge...

39637662803_34e5d4e853_z.jpgDSC_0039 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

For anyone familiar with the internal layout of the Sunderland, you will quickly see these bulkheads and floors are far from resembling reality, but considering next to nothing of the interior will be visible I went for strength over accuracy. The centre-section 'bomb room' as well as the nose section and cockpit are more in keeping with the real thing, however:

45878655334_1f9e1fe60e_z.jpgDSC_0035 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The other fuselage half...

45878654264_259145c9fc_z.jpgDSC_0037 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

..now slides nicely over the other...

45878652084_bf19dfa451_z.jpgDSC_0041 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

...apart from the fact that the starboard fuselage is approx. 4-5mm deeper than the port - a bridge I'll have to cross at a later date!

The sheer bulk of the fuselage and the size of the real aircraft is quickly becoming apparent:

39637660663_c35a21576f_z.jpgDSC_0043 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A few more bulkheads to fabricate, and then it'll be on with making the finer details of the interior areas that will be visible.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 19

12 hours ago, tomprobert said:

For anyone familiar with the internal layout of the Sunderland, you will quickly see these bulkheads and floors are far from resembling reality, but considering next to nothing of the interior will be visible I went for strength over accuracy. The centre-section 'bomb room' as well as the nose section and cockpit are more in keeping with the real thing, however:

Hi Tom,

Looking great (wish we had a Mk V in 1/32 - I could go to town on the interior) -

Just an FYI The lower decking is the same height in each station, from the front ward room through to the

rear crew ward room.

These photos hopefully will help - you can see the Bomb bay floor is same level also

Front ward room - looking stern ward through  galley hatch to bomb bay to rear

ward room (before step up to rear deck)

3d0ba84b-bc8d-4ee2-8843-973df3e0ba4c.jpg

Looking Forward in reverse - looking into bomb bay is through crew ward room door

fc3d0bc7-ffae-46e1-a71b-5923b9bf9455.jpg

Hope that's of help?

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

this truly and amazing subject - a perfect scale and a perfect choice of aircraft. I am already really enjoying watching your hard work and look forward to following your project.

Maybe this might help persuade Airfix to pop out a 1/48 Sundy one day soon although pushing them up to 1/32 is more than could ever be expected of them

8 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Tom,

Looking great (wish we had a Mk V in 1/32 - I could go to town on the interior) -

Just an FYI The lower decking is the same height in each station, from the front ward room through to the

rear crew ward room.

These photos hopefully will help - you can see the Bomb bay floor is same level also

Front ward room - looking stern ward through  galley hatch to bomb bay to rear

ward room (before step up to rear deck)

Looking Forward in reverse - looking into bomb bay is through crew ward room door

Hope that's of help?

Regards

Alan

Thanks again, Alan - really useful! I did consider converting the step and making a III or V out of this, but decided painting that much white on a model this size and getting it looking decent would be well beyond my capabilities - the sky/slate grey/DSG scheme lends itself much better to my limited painting skills!

2 hours ago, Gimme Shelter said:

this truly and amazing subject - a perfect scale and a perfect choice of aircraft. I am already really enjoying watching your hard work and look forward to following your project.

Maybe this might help persuade Airfix to pop out a 1/48 Sundy one day soon although pushing them up to 1/32 is more than could ever be expected of them

If Airfix were to do a 1/48th version it'd be a licence to print money. And as for an injection-moulded 1/32nd kit... you never know. Five years ago, who'd have thought we'd have a B-17, B-24 and Lancaster in 1/32nd scale..?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon, folks :)

Not a huge amount of progress of late due to work commitments, but I've gradually been adding the interior structure of the forward bow section. My measurements have only been approximate and don't look at this as an example of accuracy, I am just hoping to fill out the interior and make it representative of the real thing.

First up has been the forward flooring and ladder up to the flightdeck:

33082417558_7fe487a227_z.jpgIMG_0759 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The raised pierced flooring for the tapered front section is yet to be made - I'm trying to come up with a plan to avoid drilling hundreds of holes...

I've added some detail to the areas of the sidewalls that will be visible:

46043843845_a0585142b6_z.jpgIMG_0765 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

46043843325_ff2afea1bb_z.jpgIMG_0766 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The door on the rear bulkhead is, as far as I can tell, not present on the real aircraft and it's an open doorway, but as I'm not going to detailing the room behind I hope the Sunderland aficionados can forgive me..?

It looks as if a fair bit will be visible through the forward door, so lots more detail to add in due course:

46043842365_c7e54e8087_z.jpgIMG_0768 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Nice update, great as usual. However, I think with a model of this size you could be stuck inthe interior for some weeks!

Stuck or lost ?

Thanks for sharing another one-of-a-kind build Tom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, mackem01 said:

Nice update, great as usual. However, I think with a model of this size you could be stuck inthe interior for some weeks!

Not complaining though as it means loads of entertainment for us, thanks.....

Yes indeed - it’s going to take a while. That is partly the reason I’ve only chosen to detail the centre section, flightdeck and nose as to the entire interior would take years!

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

After walking through the one in the RAF Museum, I would vote lost - it’s huge! Sadly when I went just before Christmas the museum has been rearranged and you can’t walk through any more.

Regards,

Adrian

I’d heard there’d been some changes - not necessarily for the better. I’m hoping to get up there soon and have a look for myself. 

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Magnificent work Tom! At this scale an epic and thoroughly engaging undertaking.

Don't you need some kind of Home Office license to work with that amount of plastic? 😄

Ha! My local model shop owner always rubs his hands together when he sees me walk through the door... he knows I keep his stocks of Evergreen and plastic card lovely and fluid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Don't you need some kind of Home Office license to work with that amount of plastic?

No, he needs planning permission for the new shed this huge beast will become once it's finished.

Brilliant work so far Tom, very humbling.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

Brilliant Tom.

But why when I look at this thread do I think  "Noah and his Ark" ???

Could be that you could get most of the BM  members In it 2X2 

Dick

See you at North Surrey on Saturday???

Edited by jenko
  • Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 4:48 PM, tomprobert said:

46043842365_c7e54e8087_z.jpg

To quote Douglas Adams, “Hell’s Donkeys!” That is mahoodive.

I’d baulk at cutting the parts out, let alone doing anything constructive.

Hat duly doffed to you.

Trevor

• Like 1

On 2/3/2019 at 11:27 AM, Wez said:

No, he needs planning permission for the new shed this huge beast will become once it's finished.

Brilliant work so far Tom, very humbling.

Shed? As I said earlier in the thread... the local boating lake is on standby!

On 2/3/2019 at 9:41 PM, jenko said:

Brilliant Tom.

But why when I look at this thread do I think  "Noah and his Ark" ???

Could be that you could get most of the BM  members In it 2X2 

Dick

See you at North Surrey on Saturday???

Hi Dick,

I wasn’t aware of this show - will keep an eye out for next year. I’ll hopefully catch you at Hornchurch..? 

On 2/4/2019 at 7:37 PM, Max Headroom said:

To quote Douglas Adams, “Hell’s Donkeys!” That is mahoodive.

I’d baulk at cutting the parts out, let alone doing anything constructive.

Hat duly doffed to you.

Trevor

The size actually helps - a lot less fiddly than 1/72nd scale. The only challenge is moving it around on the workbench... for which it’s too big. Therefore the majority of construction takes place on the kitchen table... much to the delight of the missus! 

On 2/4/2019 at 7:40 PM, redcap said:

Your scratch building and model engineering skills are phenomenal and this is a truly epic undertaking - kudos !

Gary

You’re very kind, Gary. Once parts are cut out and the bulkheads are done it’s actually pretty straightforward - much like building a limited run injection kit. 

Not much progress to report of late but I’m slowly working on the centre section ‘bomb room’. Half term next week so hoping to crack on. 

Tom

• Like 1