Short Sunderland in 1/32nd scale

I'll start by wishing all Britmodellers a very happy 2019 :)

So... a new year means a new project. I've had this ID Models' 1/32nd Sunderland MkI/II vacuform in the stash for a few years now, and decided that it was time to give it a go. The inspiration is in fact a multi-engine group-build that's going on over at Large Scale Planes for the duration of this year, and I thought this fitted the bill perfectly.

I'm hoping to get this completed by the end 2019 - the fact that there's no landing gear/undercarriage bays or bomb bays to worry about having to scratch-build should mean this is doable providing the motivation remains. I'm planning on a fully-detailed flightdeck as well as opening up the bomb hatches on the sides of the fuselage.

This thing is massive - the plans below are laid out on our kitchen table. The cutting mat is in fact A3 sized!

46507205132_03424de2b5_z.jpgIMG_0639 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I'm busily rubbing down fuselage halves and opening various portholes etc. at the moment, so a pictorial update will be coming in the next couple of days.

Until then, happy modelling!

Tom

• Like 24
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Just the thing for the garden pond, where else could you display it?

I have an agreement with the local boating lake :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I remember the Sunderland which was based down at Calshot in the early to mid 1980's, Calshot itself was a former flying boat station, I was also fortunate enough to be in Southampton the day it left to go to sunnier climes and watched as it overflew the city, I was in a busy street and I'm sure I was the only one stopped and marvelling at the sight!

What mark and what markings are you planning?  I have an ambition one day to make a post-war Mk.5 but that will be in 1/72nd and will be a long way off, I'll be following this build to pick up some tips.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1

i:popcorn:

Are you old enough to remember the West Malling air shows with the Sunderland that was based on the Medway ??? 

As an aside.

Warning...………………… in a few months time there will be a Liquid Poly and white paint shortage.:whistle:

Dick

Edited by jenko
Ex teacher still cannot spell.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Hello Robert !

I'm used to your " Bigger in Kentrica" modelling style… But that Big...

Did'nt knew that someone has dared a 1/32's rendition of the Sunderland !!

No bomb bay ?? That sliding bomb racks will be Something funny enough !! I Think so !!

So, I'm in for the ride ! 2019 start on the Wheel hub seemingly !!

Sincerely

CC

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

No bomb bay ?? That sliding bomb racks will be Something funny enough !! I Think so !!

The Tracks for the Bomb racks are closed off when not in use, by sliding covers,

easily enough to scribe in in 1/32 scale.

The bomb bay doors can be manually opened on all marks, without the tracks being open,

or bomb racks out

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmm, so that's the Shackleton, B-52 and now a Sunderland. Your work in progress shelf must be very large.

Looking forward to this one (or any of the others TBH). I hope you can give us a "parts" shot. I'm curious to see how big the sheets of plastic are!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Ahhh... Nothing like starting the year out in style! This build will be Epic! I have the puny little Combat Models 1/48 in the stash. That's a build farther down the line., so notes will be taken.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jonners said:

Blimey...this will be interesting! I think that building in enough strength to keep it locked together will be quite a challenge, never mind the detailing. 

Jon

Bulkheads, bulkheads, bulkheads and more bulkheads will be the key - in fact I've cleared my local model ship out of 1mm plastic card sheets! The kit plastic is pretty thick though, so it's actually fairly rigid but the wings are going to need some serious supporting.

9 hours ago, Wez said:

I remember the Sunderland which was based down at Calshot in the early to mid 1980's, Calshot itself was a former flying boat station, I was also fortunate enough to be in Southampton the day it left to go to sunnier climes and watched as it overflew the city, I was in a busy street and I'm sure I was the only one stopped and marvelling at the sight!

What mark and what markings are you planning?  I have an ambition one day to make a post-war Mk.5 but that will be in 1/72nd and will be a long way off, I'll be following this build to pick up some tips.

I too have visited Calshot and spent a week doing water sports down there in 1995 - many of the hangars were being used by the activity centre and we actually stayed in the old barracks - great fun!

In regard to markings - as it's a MkII it'll be in the early 1940/41 Coastal Command scheme of Slate Grey/Dark Sea Grey over sky. There are no markings available for this kit though, so they'll all be home-made masks.

9 hours ago, jenko said:

i:popcorn:

Are you old enough to remember the West Malling air shows with the Sunderland that was based on the Medway ??? 

As an aside.

Warning...………………… in a few months time there will be a Liquid Poly and white paint shortage.:whistle:

Dick

Yes I do remember seeing the Sunderland fly - my Dad and I also got inside it when it was anchored down at Rochester. Good times!

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Hmm, so that's the Shackleton, B-52 and now a Sunderland. Your work in progress shelf must be very large.

Looking forward to this one (or any of the others TBH). I hope you can give us a "parts" shot. I'm curious to see how big the sheets of plastic are!

Regards,

Adrian

I know... I've run into major problems with the BUFF (mainly undercarriage related) so have had to shelve it for the time being. The Shackleton is still in storage and will be finished one day, I promise!

3 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Ahhh... Nothing like starting the year out in style! This build will be Epic! I have the puny little Combat Models 1/48 in the stash. That's a build farther down the line., so notes will be taken.

I've often looked at the 1/48th kits available - I had a drool over the Sanger one but have not had the chance of a close examination of the Combat one. However, having built a few Combat kits, I imagine it's best to avoid it!

• Like 1

I've had a productive few hours on the Sunderland and the fuselage halves have been removed from the backing sheets, rubbed down and prepared for the detail work to begin. 

The first job was to open up the cockpit, front and rear turrets as well as the bomb windows on the fuselage sides. I'm now having to deal with the numerous portholes along the fuselage halves. I did consider removing the whole window area and replace it all with sheets of clear plastic card, masking the round portholes and then painting. However, there is a real danger of dust and debris getting into the fuselage (especially with amount of filling and sanding that's going to be ahead of me) which would prove to be impossible to remove with the fuselage being sealed and totally ruin the look of the model should it get on the insides of the glazing. So, I've done down the more demanding route of removing each porthole individually and then they will be glazed when all the filling and sanding is complete later in the build. It'll mean cutting glazing individually for each porthole, but will remove the risk of the glazing being ruined by dust etc. 

So, careful measuring of the plans meant the layout of the portholes could be transferred onto the fuselage. These were then drilled first with pilot holes:

45766736334_db2b061edb_z.jpgStep 1 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Using a pair of old sprue cutters, the plastic in the centre is removed:

45577094885_d03f58cfa1_z.jpgStep 2 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Using a sharp blade, the window is then opened up to the correct size and shape:

45766735824_165e136f4a_z.jpgStep 3 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Finally, the porthole is neatened up using some sandpaper:

45577094285_685f214664_z.jpgStep 5 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And this is the progress so far - the left side fuselage is taking shape (still some portholes to be opened up before completion though):

45577093925_601ce466bc_z.jpgStep 6 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I have a completely free day tomorrow so I'm aiming to get the remaining portholes opened up - stay tuned!

All the best,

Tom

• Like 25