Airfix Chinese P-40 B markings...

Eduardo Soler

Yes you can use pale blue as Jure points out the colors on top of AVG/Chinese planes did weather quite a bit and fading is part of weathering. Though not chinese these are p-40’s from India a similar environment. You can see the weathering these took. nHtyWO3.png

DuFsQ2k.png

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 4

What bugs me is that kits persist in using such a light blue for all Chinese markings.  In reality, fading would be far more pronounced on the upper wings than on the underside, so the markings on the lower wings surfaces would be much darker, closer to the image at Post 2.

My frustration is that it's much easier to add a white wash to lighten the upper wings markings than it is to try and darken underwing roundels that are incorrectly light.

Sorry for the rant but it's one of my pet peeves.  Recent Revell reboxings of the old Monogram 1/48 P-40B have Chinese markings that are almost turquoise!  YUK!!!!

• Like 1

I have several old Monogram kits in my stash and they still have decals with dark blue freshly painted look markings. Through the years I somehow accumulated so many P-40 B kits and AM decals for them that I could probably build every single AVG Hawk 81 A-2 in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales. I figure if I cut few corners (closed canopies, undercarriages up etc) I could finish the lot by my third or fourth re-incarnation. Cheers

Jure

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On the AVG's p40B, the chinese insignias had different rays and different space between the rays. these insignias were probably painted.
for the P40E allocated to China, the chinese insignias were decals purchased from Di-Noc MFG. The blue was  "Dark Curtiss Blue  No 1262"(1942, paint) or "No 1282"(1943, decal Curtiss ref 464)

Is these two shades are variations of this Curtiss Blue 1263 below? (darker or lighter?)
Berryloid1263CurtissBlue.jpg

source: aviationofjapan.

Edited by BS_w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1