TheRealMrEd's 2018 End-Of-Year Completions

TheRealMrEd

Well, once again it's time for the year-end ritual of tallying up the builds. I have more completed than actually built this year, as I dug in and finished a couple from the Shelf Of Doom along the way.   Some are unusual subjects or even conversions; some are almost out of the box. In some cases, I had to develop my own artwork, which I have included in the build threads for any who may be interested.

And now, the ledger:  First off, a Shelf of Doom completion, the Nostalgic Plastic resin rendition of Anigrand.'s 1/72 YF-102A prototype:

2v2EHJwdsxfzdhW.jpg

This was done for a Shelf Of Doom type group build over on ARC:  YF-102A Build

Next up is the 1/72 Matchbox RF-101A, with some much-needed refinements:

2v2EHJwyPxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJw5kxfzdhW.jpg

This was done on BritModeler for a Matchbox Group Build:  RF-101A Build

Next, the aged 1/72 Monogram P-36 kit, done up as a P-36A:

2v2EHJwNixfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJwrDxfzdhW.jpg

This was also a model started years ago, but completed only this year: P-36A RFI

Next we have the brand new (at the time) 1/72 Hasegawa F-35B in Marine Corps markings, with a couple of tweaks:

2v2EHJwj4xfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJwMTxfzdhW.jpg

This was sort of a kit review, with a few small mods for realism: F-35B Build

Then the 1/72 Maintrack XF-88 vacuform kit done up as the rarely-seen XF-88B:

2v2EHJfosxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJf2PxfzdhW.jpg

There were more than a few challenges with this one!  XF-88B Build

Now, as another years-old project,  we have the conversion of the Tamiya F-84G to an F-84E, this time in the most colorful livery of the several F-84E's flown by George E. Laven:

2v2EHJf3kxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJfvixfzdhW.jpg

The actual mods to convert from a "G" to an "E" model are covered in the build thread. As you might imagine, the extensive decals were the hard part here!  F-84E RFI

It was about here that I realized that I had become a George Laven groupie, and that I'd just have to do all his major models!

Next up, the Muroc Models conversion of the Academy F-8E Crusader in 1/72, backdated to an F08A (F8U-1 in old Navy-speak):

2v2EHJfUDxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJf94xfzdhW.jpg

The Build and RFI are combined here:  F8U-1 Build & RFI

Back to George Laven again, this time for his most colorful 1/72 Revell F-104C:

2v2EHJfumxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJfJTxfzdhW.jpg

He had a couple of other renditions of the F-104, but I thought this one was the "bees knees": F-104C Build

Then, another Laven aircraft, this time his First P-38E #76, from the RS 1/72 P-38E kit:

2v2EHJfHVxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJfaPxfzdhW.jpg

Build thread for this one is here:  #76 P-38E Build

And now for the second less-known of Laven's aircraft, the F-84B, "Itsy-Bitsy III", this time a conversion of the Heller 1/72 F-84G:

2v2EHJfekxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJfZixfzdhW.jpg

There were several steps to the conversion, as well as the custom artwork. All are to be seen here:  F-84B Build

Another of Laven's birds, this time the 1/72 Hobby Boss P-38L-5-LO done up as "Itsy-Bitsy II":

2v2EHJfQDxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJfb4xfzdhW.jpg

The arrow  in the pic, and other mods are explained in the build thread, found here:  P-38L-5-LO Build

Next, the least-known of Laven's aircraft, this time a modified Trumpeter 1/72 F-100D kit done up as the aircraft which Laven flew, leading the first F-100 mission into the north, during the Vietnam War:

2v2EHJfKmxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJf1TxfzdhW.jpg

The tiny white stripes between the colored stripes probably did not exist in real life, but as the only known photo of this aircraft known to exist is terrible, I took the liberty.           Anyway, here's the build thread: F-100D Build

Now something a little different, this time Anigrands 1/72 resin XF-84H Thunderscreech:

2v2EHJfpSxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJfcVxfzdhW.jpg

This was another "Shelf Queen" and as such, not a lot of build to show, but here's the RFI:  XF-84H Done

And finally, to round up the year, an addition to my Wild Weasels collection, a 1/72 Monogram rendition of Thorenson's Medol-Of-Honor mission F-105F Thunderchief:

2v2EHJfwhxfzdhW.jpg

2v2EHJffkxfzdhW.jpg

This was just about "out-of-the-box" with some aftermarket decals and weapons: F-105F WW Build

I hope you enjoy these models as much as I did researching and building them, and a Happy New Year for your modeling efforts!!!

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
bad photo links, again
  • Like 13