Gas Turbine Conqueror

• 5 weeks later...

Got some dark green on the running gear and lower hull some weeks ago and have been long fingering the next stage. I am not much of a painter and one of the nice things about armour is that I can usually pick a single colour scheme, or at worst a disruptive hard edge that I can brush on. This thing needs a two tone scheme and I have been struggling to come up with a way to mask it. Eventually settled on the idea of a card box that the model can sit in - probably not the simplest solution, made more difficult by my lack of forward planning that resulted in the sprockets being fitted before the side skirts and therefore not removable for painting! The box - 140gsm card - is in three parts to facilitate fitting to the model and will be assembled with masking tape for painting.  

UPG1oiT.jpg

HrNw1bd.jpg

eXBlD9l.jpg

kGvbnqb.jpg

a9VAEZm.jpg

• Like 10

Neat and does the job. Apart from damp kitchen roll and masking tape, which always looks a bit of a mess, can't think of a better option.

Nice work on the Conqueror btw.:thumbsup:

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Murdo said:

That box itself is a "model".

Nice one!

Thanks - thats what I was thinking while building it!

Took me back, - nearly seventy years ago in Post-War England I started into modelling by building card models as they were all we could afford, ie free. Seems that I have come about full circle!

• Like 1

On 22/01/2019 at 20:06, Kiwidave4 said:

Yes, I was wondering about the point of scrapping it myself - as you say the cost of shifting it would be more than the scrap value. As part of my modelling reference I subscribe to the HMVF site, and some Facebook military pages. From comments I have read from restorers the MoD seems to have a bit of a reputation when it comes to disposal of vehicles and parts. Seems a shame, but things are what they are.

Aircraft as well Im sad to say. There was a serviceable Canberra up in Wales that the groundcrew kept in top condition despite t not flying.

The MOD had it scrapped over a weekend when no one was there without any warning :angry:

• Sad 1

Straight out of the paintshop! Got the silver on the upper hull and just had to take a pic. Not experienced in spraying large areas of silver so was a bit concerned. End result does not look too bad, though it does highlight some of my 'mistakes' during the build phase. Now to leave it for a few days then start the detail painting and final assembly. Suddenly its getting exciting!!!

FK3usdq.jpg

Edited by Kiwidave4
  • Like 8