This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Kiwidave4

Gas Turbine Conqueror

Been a while since I posted any modelling related stuff here, and those of you who frequent the ‘Funnies’ section will be familiar with the contributions I have made in lieu!

After completing my MAZ 7310 build at the end of 2016 I had trouble getting motivated to tackle my next project. In early 2017 I started a Trumpeter JS-3M as an OOB quickie but just could not ‘get into it’. Then early in 2018 I dragged my stalled Conqeror ‘twin build’ out and made a little progress before again finding the task too daunting.

While working on the Conquerors I went to the BNA website to order the PannzerArt Bromide extinguishers that both Conquerors needed. They just happened to have the Amusing Hobby Conqueror Mk1 on special, so I thought I might get it on the off chance that there would be some injection moulded parts I could rob for the ‘twin build’, while at the same time giving me a donor kit for the gas turbine Conqueror that I had fancied building for a while.

That was back in May, and no modelling happened from then until just before Christmas when I decided that I had to tackle the gas turbine project or simply accept that my modelling days are over.

I knew nowt about the Amusing Hobby kit before I started so was a little disappointed, but not surprised, to find it is not very accurate. However, I do not want to get bogged down in lots of corrections so have made a conscious effort to only address the most significant visually wrong bits while concentrating on the conversion work.

Not a lot of progress so far but thought I would start a build thread now so I can add new pics as I progress.

Initial work concentrated on the basic mods to prepare the hull. This included removing the engine decks, adding a 2mm bulkhead at the front of the engine bay to stiffen the hull, and a 40 thou false rear plate. Redundant locating holes were filled, and some moulded on detail removed. A hole was cut in the floor to allow the crew to be added after painting.

The kits stowage bins are a bit of a disaster area. They are inaccurate, a problem compounded by the method of assembly which recesses the tops into the sides instead of the much neater method of placing the lids on top of the sides. A lot of time has been spent on trying to fix these and I rather fancy I should have scratched a set which in hindsight would have been easier. In the photos they are just 'posed' for the pics, still work to do before they are fitted.

I have made the falsework that covers the glacis top and bottom seams, cut out the co-drivers hatch and started on the turret ring cover.

So thats where we have got to so far! If anyone can help with any info on this vehicle beyond the handful of pics, and Pathe newsreel, - all taken on the same day at FVRDE, - then I would appreciate it. I would also like to know more about the Parsons gas turbine. And before someone says “Google it”, I have done multiple searches on four search engines in three languages!

t2Nyuof.jpg

3MFh7PE.jpg

Z4y07Wf.jpg

ZC0AHfX.jpg

ZnVVMED.jpg

Some very nice scratch building going on there. GT Conqueror is not a vehicle that I'm familiar with I'm afraid.

John.

Thanks John. The GT Conqueror was a Caernarvon hull modified by CA Parsons to prove the feasibility of using gas turbines in tanks. It still exists in a different form today as the Tank Museums mobile commentary box. Although the GT trials went on for several years at FVRDE and MEXE it seems the only time it was photographed was on the 30/9/1954 when FVRDE had a demo day for Press and Top Brass.

Posted (edited)

It seems that the engine for the Conqueror was specially designed by Parsons and was one of only 2 gas turbines they built for vehicles, the other being for a railway locomotive.  Their total involvement in gas turbines was only about 8 engines over about 15 years.  So the chances of finding out much are slim.  They were, and remained under RR and later Siemens ownership, world leaders in marine and industrial steam turbines.

You might find this document useful if you haven't seen it already, particularly page 23 paragraph C2.  It's about 7 years old and references another document in C2 for which I can't find any evidence of publication.  Maybe idgtE can help further.  Contact details are on the frontispiece.

https://www.idgte.org/IDGTE Paper 582 History of The Industrial Gas Turbine Part 1 v2 (revised 14-Jan-11).pdf

I presume you've tried Bovington's archives?

Edited by Das Abteilung
addition

30 minutes ago, Das Abteilung said:

It seems that the engine for the Conqueror was specially designed by Parsons and was one of only 2 gas turbines they built for vehicles, the other being for a railway locomotive.  Their total involvement in gas turbines was only about 8 engines over about 15 years.  So the chances of finding out much are slim.  They were, and remained under RR and later Siemens ownership, world leaders in marine and industrial steam turbines.

You might find this document useful if you haven't seen it already, particularly page 23 paragraph C2.  It's about 7 years old and references another document in C2 for which I can't find any evidence of publication.  Maybe idgtE can help further.  Contact details are on the frontispiece.

https://www.idgte.org/IDGTE Paper 582 History of The Industrial Gas Turbine Part 1 v2 (revised 14-Jan-11).pdf

I presume you've tried Bovington's archives?

Thanks for that. Yes I had already found it....I think I can safely say if its on the Interweb I have probably seen it!

I have not tried the Tank Museum - their charges rather put me off when I dont know if in fact they will even have any info.

Have you tried contacting idgtE about the other document or to see if they can put you in touch with the author?  It sounds as if he might be the nearest thing to a font of knowledge.

Bovington don't charge for just telling you if they have any info on a subject as far as I know.  They do charge for visits and copies, but I don't imagine you'll be visiting from the Antipodes!  As they have the vehicle chassis it is conceivable they also acquired some documentary information about it.   I haven't seen it there for a long time: since the permanent commentary tower was built in 2009 I don't think they've been using it.  It isn't in the Conservation Centre or anywhere else immediately visible, but it might be under a cam net at the back of the arena: there are a few things parked over there.

The library and archive contact email address is on the museum website

14 hours ago, Das Abteilung said:

Have you tried contacting idgtE about the other document or to see if they can put you in touch with the author?  It sounds as if he might be the nearest thing to a font of knowledge.

Bovington don't charge for just telling you if they have any info on a subject as far as I know.  They do charge for visits and copies, but I don't imagine you'll be visiting from the Antipodes!  As they have the vehicle chassis it is conceivable they also acquired some documentary information about it.   I haven't seen it there for a long time: since the permanent commentary tower was built in 2009 I don't think they've been using it.  It isn't in the Conservation Centre or anywhere else immediately visible, but it might be under a cam net at the back of the arena: there are a few things parked over there.

The library and archive contact email address is on the museum website

I have fired off an email so we will so what transpires!🙂

Small update! For some light relief from the scratch building I spent some time assembling the kit tracks which went together more easily than any other individual link tracks I have built. 

Then it was back to the hull. Got the mesh and handles fitted to the transmission cover, and on my third attempt got the centre panel for the engine bay done! Also made the three ventilators for the top of the turret ring blanking plate, and added mesh to the air intake.

70YLHV8.jpg

T5NKyH7.jpg