Airfix 1/16 Ariel Arrow

Spad

Hello

Please allow me to show my Airfix Ariel Arrow to 1/16 scale.

Once again, built to support the Car and Motorcycle SIG at Telford and just slipping in for 2018 due to lack of pics. As finished for the SIG stand it was lacking the screen - I've managed to get that on now so more or less done.

Another model that's been in the stash for far too long. Bought by housemates as a birthday present back in 1982 and part assembled. I tried to "chrome" the exhausts using cigarette packet foils which worked quite well - then I realised I stood not a cat's chance of doing the wheels in that, so it got shelved while I thought about it. As with the Zodiac, things have changed a bit over the years, skills have improved and products are available that just weren't around then or, at least, I knew nothing of.

So, the kit is fun and remarkably detailed when compared with the real thing. For the paint job I used AK Xtreme Metal Gold and Zero Paints white with Zero prethinned lacquer.

An assortment of silvers were used including Alclad Chrome and Molotow pens. Kit markings were used and behaved remarkably well after they had been stuck to a sunny window in the summer.

A bit of wiring was added and a garment tag gave itself up for the fuel line down the left side.

Anyway, enough chat from me - here's the bike, hope you like.

C+C welcome!

31604654227_24d3f6adbb_k.jpg

31604667797_5c2efe3269_k.jpg

44727540520_596bade6b3_k.jpg

32671811538_e727102c67_k.jpg

Thanks for looking - see you all next year!

ATB
Rick

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

I tried to build one of these kits as a teenager (a very long time ago!) and binned it as the Humbrol white enamel just wouldn't cover properly.  I really want to biuild one again now but the evilbay prices are just extortionate.  Seeing your lovely model though make sit quite tempting to spend too much; it really is gorgeous.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bill.B said:

That’s turned out really nicely, especially given that this Airfix kit isn’t exactly one of their finest efforts. Well done! :thumbsup:

I believe I'm right in saying, this is one of the kits Airfix inherited/bought from Kitmaster when they went belly-up in the early '60s.

Tommo.

• Like 2

Great Spad, A neighbour had one of these in the day! He and his wife on the back went to the Isle of Man TT Races every year. Firstly on a Matchless then on a BSA, a few others then this.

• Haha 1

Thanks chaps for the kind comments. She was a bit of a trial but gave in eventually.

@PatW- he was an adventurous soul going all that way on one of these!

@The Tomohawk Kid - you're quite right, it was Kitmaster, originally (along with a surprising number of other well known "Airfix" kits of that time! - think railways etc)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Arrow was the "Bike to have" for the ground-crew guys on the Bomber squadrons at RAF Coningsby around 1960. There must have been a dozen at least, along with a few Ariel Leaders. I can hear the high pitched buzz still. I only had a little Garelli and quickly moved onto cars.

John

• Haha 1

Nice build of the model.  I always thought it looked weird in the Airfix catalogue though.  I think I built their BMW and Honda kits that looked like motorcycles rather than a step-through gone wrong.

There was one of these bikes at the local classic meet on boxing day.  It was in fantastic condition but incredibly ugly compared to all the AJS, Matchless, BSAs, Triumphs and classic Hondas!   Actually ugly is not a strong enough description  - if this was the British idea of the future of motorcycling no wonder the Japanese took over.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Very nice indeed. I'm on with one of these as we speak. How did you get such clean lines on the wheels and tyres, masking?

Also were there any clock and Ariel logo decals with yours?

Edited by Ryedale Wolf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments Ryedale Wolf!

I did get logo and dial decals but the looked pretty grim - I will put them on as it does look kind of naked without at least the tank badges.

The wheel/tyre is airbrushed Alclad Chrome and the tyres are brush painted white and a home-brew tyre black - no masking.

How are you getting on with sticking it together? Mine is in a weird plastic - felt kind of soapy and took ages for the cement to melt it and get a good bond. Especially the fork to lower yoke joint - took several re-applications of various liquid poly before it took!

ATB
Rick