Airfix Ford Zodiac Mk.3 - 1/32

Spad

Hi all - seasons greetings to you all!

May I present my Ford Zodiac by Airfix in 1/32 scale - just slipping in under the wire for 2018!

Actually, it was built for the Car and Motorcycle SIG display at Telford this year - theme was "Best of British".

It's a kit I have had since the very early '70s and I had always wanted to build it as my dad's car from that period, a car which I adored then and still do.

Needed a bit of work to get it "right" to correct the sit and a lot of fettling due to mould wear (even then!) not to mention I had lost or broken a couple of parts in the intervening years.

Painted in Japlac BRG in an attempt to replicate the Goodwood Green of the original and a combo of Alclad Chrome and Molotow chrome pens. The glazing needed a good sand/polish routine followed by a dip in Klear. The back of the front seats were blanked off as hollow otherwise. I had lost the meter bezel so that needed to be scratch built. I added an indicator stalk and the gearchange lever - 4 on the Tree here plus "kick-down overdrive" on 3rd and 4th - 6 speeds in a 1963 car! Dad also had a small stainless bracket under the dash to house 3 additional gauges (oil pressure, vacuum and battery charge) so that was added. Missing also was the horn ring on the steering wheel so one was fabricated from nickel wire courtesy of Albion Alloys. So that all of this could be seen (ha!) I dropped the driver's window (well, just cut it off the side glazing!). The hub caps are unnaturally deep as the kit features rotating wheels so they must house a plastic retaining washer, so they were sanded back to a more realistic height and chromed.

The instructions will have you glue the dash assembly to the firewall on the floor part so that's what I did. If you're building one of these I recommend you don't. If you do, he whole thing disappears under the windscreen scuttle leaving just the steering wheel in view. After Telford I took my courage in both hands and gently levered the joint apart and then fixed the dash to the bottom of the windscreen which was already installed in the body shell - much better, and there's already a depression moulded into the dash to match the windscreen so I don't understand the instruction error. Oh well, never mind, sorted now.

It still needs number plates to give it it's original identity but I'm calling it done until I can sort them out.

Enough waffle - here's the model - hope you enjoy looking. C+C welcome as ever!

31603894087_43f73d7583_k.jpg

I lost the original front bumper so carved a new one from plastic stock and finished with Alclad Chrome

46492232122_84be36f117_k.jpg

This is the kit I had

46492257972_69e282928e_k.jpg

As you see here, way too much rake!

31603929307_8591b892f3_k.jpg

This is how I lifted the front end - spacers on the Macpherson Struts

32671009708_da27593755_k.jpg

I lost the front cross member so needed to make a new one - five bits of tube in there!

46492251272_10e6d93c31_k.jpg

Broke one of the rear leaf springs in a previous failed attempt to build it!

46544173901_1334dbe5d8_z.jpg

Dash installed in original location

32671000408_d620c875dc_k.jpg

And here she is on the SIG stand

45820380424_151f87bcee_k.jpg

A mighty long time coming but I am pleased I didn't actually do it back then - the hobby has moved on so much since, the products available now make it so much easier to complete a reasonable job and to do it now would have been prohibitively expensive when you see how much these things are commanding on a well known auction site!

Thanks for looking and have a terrific New Year, all of you!

ATB
Rick

• Like 26

Nice build, brings back memories of when I used to drive them in the army, same colour, Commanding Officers staff car 77EL41...………...don't think it had those wheel trims though!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

Sorry, Rick, It;s been a while since I was out there.

I'll see if I can remember though next time I do get that way.

And, oddly, just South of Lincoln today I saw a Ford Zephyr.

Same body but single headlights, in dark blue and lovely condition. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And, oddly, just South of Lincoln today I saw a Ford Zephyr.

My dad had a Zephyr 4 in the late 60's. White with Red upholstery. Had to get rid of it as he found that a previous owner had stuffed the gearbox with sawdust to keep the noise down.

Cheers, Alan.

• Like 1

I've got a couple of these in the stash. One bagged and one boxed for the American market, but not modified. I built one many moons ago, and have driven the Zodiac and Zephyr 4 as taxis about '71-72. I never got to own a real one. The oil crisis hit, and running costs were too much for me then.

Nice looking model, and I will keep your modifications in mind, I will build at least one of them. Got a Lotus Cortina too!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

My dad had a Zephyr 4 in the late 60's. White with Red upholstery. Had to get rid of it as he found that a previous owner had stuffed the gearbox with sawdust to keep the noise down.

Cheers, Alan.

My Grandfather had an identical model, fortunately without sawdust in the gear box, and I remember feeling very important when he gave me a lift to school every Thursday morning whilst he smoked his pipe.  Needless to say: different times !!

• Like 3

A lovely rendition of a British classic. My mate Barney had one just like that in the early 80s. We felt like Sweeney villains driving round the back roads of Berkshire in that beast. My overriding memory of it though is breaking down on the A34 and the two of us pushing it up a slight hill for about a mile to safety. I couldn't believe the weight of the thing!  Happy days and great nostalgia.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today walking home from a hospital appointment. a Ford Granada Mk2 2.8 Ghia with non-standard alloys.

Looked a bit tatty and rattly (The exhaust was really loose!). Engine still sounded sweet though.

Cheers, Alan.

1 minute ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I will part with, but it ain't cheap.

The wife would kill me!!! :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Today walking home from a hospital appointment. a Ford Granada Mk2 2.8 Ghia with non-standard alloys.

Looked a bit tatty and rattly (The exhaust was really loose!). Engine still sounded sweet though.

Cheers, Alan.

The wife would kill me!!! :)

Go with a smile on your face, I'll do you a deal for the Cortina and the Zodiac.

20 hours ago, Alan R said:

a previous owner had stuffed the gearbox with sawdust to keep the noise down.

I had a Triumph Herald like that. Did your dad buy it from a used car lot in Fulham? Weekly Motors, I think it was called. Or was it Daley? 😏

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bhouse said:

Did your dad buy it from a used car lot in Fulham

I think he bought it locally in Rochester. This was about 1967, so I was only about 12 then. I think Daley motors is a franchise all over the country... :)

Cheers, Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks stevej60 - I've been told that this mould got butchered when Airfix tried to spice it (and some others) up for the US market and made a kind of hot-rod cum dragster out of it!  🙄

Edited by Spad

Thank you for posting this.  I made mine in the early 70's when I was about 8 or 9.  I remember it was in dark green plastic.  Trying to get the body on the chassis was a nightmare and there were little squidgy glueyfingerprints all over the glazing but I was proud as punch.  It sat next to my Folland Gnat with collapsed under carriage because the glue haddnt tried when I put it on by bedside table.  That had little squidgy gluey fingerprints on the canopy !!

• Like 1