Martin Mariner, Mach 2

Hi,

Thanks for coments :)

I started to work on engines.

39997619423_fdaaab453a_b.jpg

I counted cylinders and discovered, that Mach 2 gave the same 18 cylinder engine to put inside PBM-3 (should be 14!) and PBM-5. So I removed them before I realized, that the fan isntaled just behind prop in PBM-3 does not allow to see the engine, so it does not matter how many cylinders are there...

I have an aricle on Mariner in Aero Journal, there are drawings in 1:144. From those drawings (and from @KRK4m - many thanks) I know, that the propellers should be in 1/72 of 6.3 cm diameter, whereas the kit one are some 5.8 cm.

So I took spare props from Academy B 29 A and redued their diameter and reshaped a bit blades(white is Mach 2 original)

39997613263_01364b5797_b.jpg

39997611903_c33847e777_b.jpg

Then I made some work on engines and attached also floats

39997618093_a464d216cc_b.jpg

46048169105_5eb9f13b96_b.jpg

The props will be rotable.

Basing on those French drawing it is clear that Mach 2 has much too small slots on horozontal tail. The right one should be 16 mm long in 1/72 each, so about twice more than in kit. I hope to do this before night today...

Regards

J-W

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Your Mariner is looking good J-W

The Clipper looks gigantic in comparison

It is !

I built the Airfix 1/144 version and it looks like it's really 1/72.

You are a brave man Jerzy !

cheers Pat

• Like 3

Many thanks for support! :)

She is coming:

46073785775_84fb53e6a5_b.jpg

I made the turetless rear gunner position. Windows cut and glued one by one. They origin from a bon-bon box ...:

46073787035_dd26340654_b.jpg

To be cont...

Cheers

J-W

• Like 6

This looks great J-W 

I love your opening words with the superb Polish saying about falling off of a tall horse. A great attitude 👍.

That attitude is really paying well here. The windows and framing look very good now, the scratch built rear gunner positon is trés bon (bon) 😉.

Quite a formidable model in size and shape, yet it is dwarfed by the Clipper! Very much looking forward to your build of that one too.

A very belated happy new year J-W, great to see that you’re still here with inspirational builds.

Best regards

TonyT

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

A very belated happy new year J-W, great to see that you’re still here with inspirational builds.

Hi Tony

Thank you. I am very glad to see you back on BM, unfortunatelly you have not been here for a pretty long. I do hope that your come back means your better feeling!

Wish you all the best in good shape in 2019 :)

Keep in touch and regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

It looks very elegant in this colour scheme.

Thanks!, Tony. Indeed, this looks a bit immaculate, at least before I will add smoke stains behind engines! I wanted to have at least one US Navy machine in this Atlantic (South in this case) livery.  I am planning wildcat FM 2 in similar colours, but the North Atlantic variant.
Cheers

J-W

Some further progress

47030942431_77d2f8acb3_b.jpg

US stars on fuselage  and props factory markings from Mach,, wings stars from B24 by Italeri, small inscriptions on fins self design and print.

Black 12 on nose in black frame is not ready yet due to serch for proper font (or search for ready decal in drawer).

Engine gondolas will be rather dirt, so this is likely the last take of clean machine...

Beach u/c is not ready at all yet.

Regards

J-W

• Like 7

Super skills there. 

I read that the Polish pilots here in WW2 were thought to be either very brave or very crazy. Good to see you following a great Polish tradition in tacking more than one Mach 2 kit !!!:D

I am well in awe of what you are doing with those lumps of plastic. Brilliant 

• Haha 1

On 08/02/2019 at 22:49, JWM said:

Black 12 on nose in black frame is not ready yet due to serch for proper font (or search for ready decal in drawer).

Just re-read your post J-M. Do you use any graphics software?  

It isn't quite Amarillo, but that 12 shouldn't be too hard to make up.

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Just re-read your post J-M. Do you use any graphics software?  

It isn't quite Amarillo, but that 12 shouldn't be too hard to make up.

Thank you - for small text on tail like NAVY, PBM-3S and serial I just used Paint and Arial font, then copy-paste into MS Word, scale to small size and print. But finall the "12" in box I made from Techmod Decals: US Numbers Black, and frame I did from some decals "H" and "L".

Many thanks for all comments. I have more Mach 2 kits  in stash: Bloch 131, Amiot 354, Ju 352, BV 139, Ar 232 - so I have to start one day!

Goig back to Mariner, I think I a bit overdone black staind from exhaust: 

46138720515_099c4e2604_b.jpg

40087561423_42f82b2fa9_b.jpg

I have to lighter it a bit... Anyway it is almost finished

They are rather dark, thouh

46510943551_3a0537ecd7_b.jpg

PMB_Renton1946.jpeg

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 6

I made the exhaust fumes stains lighter

40110391273_db9d39dfbc_b.jpg

I think - that is it! Let say -  it is finished. I go with 5 photos to gallery and more in RFI :)

Regards and thank you for watching and comments 

Jerzy-Wojtek 

• Like 6