Martin Mariner, Mach 2

Hi,

I Poland we say: "if you you want to fall from a horse  it is better to take the high one..." IT means that one have to takes challangies. So instead of doing one Mach 2 model I will do two.

The second one is Martin Mariner

44726781140_5fc59766ee_b.jpgSome 

Someparts looks OK

44726774610_3658b06e40_b.jpg

44726775650_c800af75ce_b.jpg

But mine Mariner has some additional problems with quality of surfaces :

44726772400_59d1b87fe7_b.jpg

Im not sure if I can do anything with it.

I will try to sand it and then rescribe

31603976167_67836bc87d_b.jpg

The transparent parts:

31603977317_fd52bbb19f_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
mispelling corrections
  • Like 11

This looks like a challenge! Some of those parts look very rough. And I'm not sure "transparent" is the word for the clear parts! Will be following, it'll be interesting to see how you tackle it. 

Good luck

Z

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zebra said:

And I'm not sure "transparent" is the word for the clear parts! 

thanks, you are right. I will edit it :)

regards

J-W

Good luck Jerzy,...... another great choice mate, it would look good in RAF Coastal Command colours! 

I have an old Rareplanes one which I built many moons ago as a US Navy Korean War aircraft,..... I`m currently converting it back to WW2 transport configuration and repainting it as a RAAF Pacific based transport boat.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tonyot said:

Good luck Jerzy,...... another great choice mate, it would look good in RAF Coastal Command colours! 

I have an old Rareplanes one which I built many moons ago as a US Navy Korean War aircraft,..... I`m currently converting it back to WW2 transport configuration and repainting it as a RAAF Pacific based transport boat.

Cheers

Tony

Thank you. That will be very interesting - I remember a photo of RAAF Mariner with very worn paint cover...

Regarding mine - I would like to do this MAriner from South Atlantic patrols (PBM-3s). Which is in white/gull gray livery. There is another one from VPB-74, from summer 1943 so with red outlines on stars also from Brosil with two u-boats victories on nose - but is standard blue-grey/lt grey colours...

PBM%20Martin%20Mariner%20(4).jpgPBM%20MARTIN%20MARINER%20RIO.gif

Cheers

J-W

• Like 6

On 1/2/2019 at 9:37 PM, tonyot said:

Cheers

Tony

Like this one

IMG_3748

These were based in Oban, so I'm a bit biased !

I would love to know where this picture was taken, surely it would have easier to bring a car home from work, it must have been a swine to park, and the lawn isn't going to be too clever either !

Cheers Pat

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Like this one

IMG_3748

These were based in Oban, so I'm a bit biased !

I would love to know where this picture was taken, surely it would have easier to bring a car home from work, it must have been a swine to park, and the lawn isn't going to be too clever either !

Cheers Pat

Great photo Pat,...... the photo was taken at Beaumaris on Anglesey where they were upgraded to RAF specs at the Saro factory before issue to squadron service in Oban. 

https://www.coflein.gov.uk/en/site/270847/details/beaumaris-flying-boat-station-saunders-roe-factory

http://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/airfield-finder/beaumaris/

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Brilliant thanks Tony

I convinced myself it was taken locally, I can now call off the search party !

Apologies for hijacking your thread Jerzy :sorry:

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Started to work on Mariner. 

Painted inside

46551745212_ab07e49197_b.jpg

Started to work on cockpit

45689417135_9ed1d2d092_b.jpg

Sanded connection surfaces of all tail parts to make it fitting well and I glued them

31662678207_c19f8a21dc_b.jpg

Not together yet

Similar for wings

31662674767_2be8c2ff7c_b.jpg

Please note the filler spot - this is the most problematic piece of surface 

I sanded all surfaces with 600 paper (wet) to make them smooth (not loosing panel lines) and too removed places with very rough surface

To be cont.

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 8

Hi,

After looking at the cockpit photos of Mainer in Net it appeared that the instrument pannel in Mach 2 has is not very comparable with the original. So I painted all blak and will try to do some immitation from decal... It was the same in case of Coronado, BTW.

Nevertheless I glued in all small windows using Humbrol Clearfix and glued fuselage halves together

46678641492_cf2afbbbe8_b.jpg

As you see the wings were alredy glued and even sanded. The fuselage was also filled and sanded.

So I joined all parts: fuselage, tail and wings:

45815831545_84a8065f5c_b.jpg

A close up to canopy which is not finished. I will work on this more, but nottoo much - it will be limited by transparency of canopy, which I will try to improve, but no miracle is expected anyway...

46731359761_c8177bcbe0_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 8

Hi,

I am trying to build version PBM3s, which was a viariant for South Atlantic, where no enemy airplanes were expected and therefore the defence armament was reduced. Some MGs were left since they were suitable in battle with U-boot, however for example a mid-upper fuselage turret was removed. So I had to blind the opening.

45854073205_7214ba5e81_b.jpg

It was a circle from a plastic sheet a bit formed to follow the radius of upper fuselage, glued in opening and then cover with putty.

After first sanding and with new putty on

46769285721_0304ec5f03_b.jpg

The nose and rear of fuselage gunner positions will involve more efforts, since they are not a turrets and are not provided in kit

To be cont

J-W

• Like 10

Many thanks for good words...

I made a instrument pannel as painted decal

39911135273_7ae5ab5cd4_b.jpg

45961525005_24dc91d5a2_b.jpg

The canopy was painted gloss varnish (acrylic, by Tamiya, diluted with 96% ethanol). I had to use a piller to fit it into fusalege. It was aout 1 mm too high...

The present transparency of canopy is as ypu can see. I am going to sand it using sanding paper 600 and 2000, than polish it with cotton cloth and finally cover with varnish (like inside)

31934686507_b8121a1ed7_b.jpg

to be continued

J-W

• Like 6

Since the frames on canopy is certailny too wide I had to sand them down,

46886176591_cc1f1dc7a6_b.jpg

Meanwhile I started to meke the turretless nose. I used the glass from turret but glued up side down

39921238373_3353cc8af1_b.jpg

Polishing with paper 600 and 2000:

39921239513_fb52518593_b.jpg

39921242163_925471429f_b.jpg 

Covering with gloss varnish brings some transparency back, although the plastic is very thick here:

39921238843_a817af64af_b.jpg

Cheers

J-W

• Like 4

11 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Wow that is a real putty monster...love what you are doing by the way...as you are a brave man tackling a Mach two kit...

cheers, Jan

Thank you! In stash I have almost whole range of WWII machines which are in Mach 2 range, one day you have to start :) So far I did only He 114. However, they are really not that bad in work as the fame says... I mean mostly how the parts fits together. Still the canopies are the most problematic parts for sure.

Cheers

J-W

• Like 2

Hi J-W.  I'm really enjoying this build as it brings back memories of me building Mach 2's Dornier 26. 

As you say, the transparencies are the worst part.  As is often the case, I found that dipping the clear parts in Klear made a big difference.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 1