Tamiya 1/48 Vought F4U Corsair

This started off as a hairspray chipping experiment, but I decided to push on and finish the model before the end of the year. I don't "do" New Year so have used the time today finishing this off. There's a replacement bomb on the way for it and I will improve the bomb cradle and add them both later - but this is it for now. I hope you like it. I gathered a lot of photos of beaten up USMC operated F4U-1s and 1As in the Pacific and have tried to take inspiration from a number of them. The 100 mission markings on the particular aircraft here indicates that it was quite a well-used machine and indeed the photo I found of it online indicates likewise.

resized_61a2dfc0-30f9-4e3e-8307-fce0668b

resized_af3040dc-23ef-463b-a9f6-fa8bb115

resized_c16e8ad9-f0e5-41c9-a206-700ad9fa

resized_c02aa100-f480-4dbf-abd9-5fbff2dc

resized_8ba0d6b5-bebc-4ecb-b6e7-744ff038

resized_0d1896f1-6bb8-4bce-99cb-06d451ad

resized_6630366c-1a4b-4aad-b093-4effa851

I've been asked via a social media page post already what I used for this colour-wise so here are the main ones shown. The dark blue wasn't used as-is but instead was blended with ACUS08 - ANA608 Intermediate Blue to fade it towards a blue-grey.

resized_418be308-a7c2-4cb3-9f9f-ada1179a

• Like 38

Efficient and real looking weathering makes for a very convincing replica. Especially the fuselage stars'n'bars look painted on, and then subjected to the ravages of the elements. 😉

Great modelling and a good eye for detail!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

Thank you all so much. I confess that some aspects of the weathering, and staining in particular, came out a little less controlled than I had in mind however I've learned some more valuable lessons here to take forward to the next time.

Hello Jamie !

Really good Corsair and a well worn one !!

Congratulations !

Usually, the Marines used handmade bomb throwers in the Pacific, well before dept of Navy allowed it !

Then VF 17 have their own one designed after the Marines's one

So In Fine, there are différents design used at this time...

Whatever, you did a great Corsair and I really like it !!

:partytime:

See you in Telford !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...