Concorde engine nacelle colours...

Any help much appreciated... is the rear section of the engine nacelle on Concorde actually black, or is it dark burnt metal? I have three sections to paint: the rear of the nacelle under the wing; the hot end of the engine both under and above the wing, and the thrust modulation buckets/eyelids. From what I can see after looking at lots of online pictures, where you can see the above the wing part of the hot end, it is burnt iron coloured, and the eyelids vary from silver-ish to dark matt grey depending which Concorde you're looking at and the lighting. The trouble is, the underneath is in shadow, and usually there's also a lot of white in any picture, so the nacelle section does LOOK very dark, or black. I can convince myself the rear nacelle skin is anything from black painted to grey burnt metal and everything in between. I'm inclining towards gunmetal for the nacelle bit, Tamiya dark iron for the hot end, and Metalcote steel for the eyelids, with a bit of blue/brown heat staining. But guidance from anyone who has seen one close up in the flesh would be very welcome!

best,

M.

Hello,

I faced the same dilemma recently as I was building my Revell 1/144 Concorde. I didn't finish it but did visit G-BOAF in Bristol Aerospace Museum. 

Please see below 

IMG-7196.jpg

IMG-7199.jpg

IMG-7203.jpg

IMG-7204.jpg

IMG-7210.jpg

IMG_7213.jpg

So make if these and more if you need them, what you will.

Bear in mind it's been out of service for over 10 years.

I always thought and saw in pictures and drawings that back end was black but I was happily surprised when I saw this up close. I did think about ebony black Rub'n'buff paste but never having used it I think it may be too black.

Jeff

Edited by pinky coffeeboat