RMS Carpathia, Scratchbuild, 1/500 Scale

Don't forget also that where two waves meet, you have to add them together. A bit simplistic, but two peaks give a big peak - the cusp wave on the diagram, this is typically where the bow wave will "break"; two troughs give a deep trough; and a peak and a trough will tend to cancel each other out (this is part of the thought behind a bulbous bow).

You've got the height of both bow and transverse waves about the same, the transverse wave is a lot lower in height than the bow wave.

For the remodelling I'd suggest a slight gentle deepening of the background wave pattern in the region of the transverse wave troughs, this may be enough to give the impression of these waves after you've smoothed out the tops of the crest you've already put in.

Also if @Martian Hale is going to enforce the vote for the actual night, you're going to need to source some fluorescent turquoise paint to represent the bio-luminescence in the wake....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Also if @Martian Hale is going to enforce the vote for the actual night, you're going to need to source some fluorescent turquoise paint to represent the bio-luminescence in the wake....

Don't panic, if all else fails, Martian snot is both fluorescent and turquoise.

Helpful of Mars 👽

• Haha 2

Hi Dave - all good points- I’ll have another look at this tomorrow and re-model - as far as possible - with some bog filler.👍

hopefully this thread read will prove a useful reference to future wake-makers too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Does anyone have any ideas who we can get to perform the grand switching on of said illuminations? It clearly needs to be some sort of celebrity.

Martian 👽

I was thinking of Kate Winslet...

but it then again, as a rule, I am generally thinking about her.  Sometimes I find it hard to think of anything else... 🤫💕

• Haha 5

18 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

The two colours mean nothing more than that I ran out of one colour. 

or that you need to work on your forward planning skills?

welcome back!

Edited by hendie
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Nice work on the wake Steve. Of course, if its the actual night to remember she is going to need that lighting we all voted for. Does anyone have any ideas who we can get to perform the grand switching on of said illuminations? It clearly needs to be some sort of celebrity.

Martian 👽

What about Steve's Wife, who has been a long time observer of all the activity on this model?

Very nice work Steve, keep it up. We wait anxiously to see the final result when you are satisfied with it!!

regards, Barry.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barry Marchant said:

What about Steve's Wife, who has been a long time observer of all the activity on this model?

Fair point Barry - perhaps my poor long-suffering wife has competed with Kate Winslet for long enough! 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:21, Bandsaw Steve said:

I was thinking of Kate Winslet...

but it then again, as a rule, I am generally thinking about her.  Sometimes I find it hard to think of anything else... 🤫💕

Cold shower for the member for Western Australia! 🚿

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 07:07, Bandsaw Steve said:

Fair point Barry - perhaps my poor long-suffering wife has competed with Kate Winslet for long enough! 😀

Hopefully she has not been reading the last few posts! I can't help but think that if we ask the poor woman to switch on the illuminations, she is going to be a weensy bit disappointed if Steve hasn't actually fitted said lights! 😞

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Nils said:

Illuminati ... reminds me of something, can’t remeber what

Reminds me of Kate Winslet.

But then again, everything reminds me of Kate Winslet! 🤫💕😍

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Get on track man, you've a deadline to make! :whip::rofl:

Stuart

Yes work faster! :poke:

Martian 👽

• Haha 1

Update as promised

I seem to be constantly stretched for time these days so here’s a very brief update! 

- I’ve done some maths and apparently the wake as modelled has the ship travelling at 19 knots. This is a shame given that Carpathia’s maximum speed was about 17. Still, it adds visual drama!

- The Seascape is almost complete but might be up for a repaint as some of the pale frothy colours carried a bit too far while I was airbrushing them and they got onto areas where they probably shouldn’t have.

- Most of the decks and all of the hull is now painted!

Sorry about the lack of photos. Might get some posted tomorrow. Not a great update maybe but remember the old showbiz adage - always leave them calling for more!

Bandsaw 

Steve

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 11:13 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

update tonight. 

On 3/18/2019 at 12:24 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

maybe tomorrow night

48 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Might get some posted tomorrow.

Are you sure you're not a politician :rofl:.

That aside, we're all busy people and we can only do what we can do within the time allowed.

Another adage, a picture paints a thousand words :poke:

Stuart 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 3/17/2019 at 1:39 PM, Martian Hale said:

Cold shower for the member for Western Australia! 🚿

you just had to use the 'm' word in that sentence didn't you?   Where's the peperami-shredding-his-head-on-a-cheese-grater-gif when you need one?

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Another adage,

Put up or shut up?

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Might get some posted tomorrow.

well, since you brought the subject up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Update as promised

<snip>

- I’ve done some maths and apparently the wake as modelled has the ship travelling at 19 knots. This is a shame given that Carpathia’s maximum speed was about 17. Still, it adds visual drama!

<snip>

Head or tail wind? Wind speeds across deck? 

Those shall be fine waves. 

G

• Like 1

Trial and Error

This is only my second attempt ever at making a seascape so I have lots to learn and @Dave Swindell is playing a very important role in helping me along my learning curve.

Prior to his posting above I had completed the following...

Covered the original seascape with Ezy-Kote liquid resin - which is the same stuff I used to put a shine on the AE2 seascape.  Great stuff this - makes for a hard, resistant and shiny finish.

4hHYqjS.jpg

Here's what it looks like prior to paint. What a mess - do not be disheartened however - all will be well... I think.

YZoRozf.jpg

Following Chris Floodberg's advice I then set about trying to paint the seascape a 'dark denim' shade that was achieved by mixing these three acrylic colours.

q4Xb7yc.jpg

It came out a far too blue-saturated hue so while it was still wet I added a few dashes of orange...

Q02i0ZN.jpg

Which 'backed off' the blue to a more realistic shade.

IkoxuHZ.jpg

It was about now that @Dave Swindell posted posts numbers 198 and 201 on this thread. I started to think that maybe there was significant  room for improvement (great post by the way Dave - very good advice and very clearly explained).  At this juncture I decided to at least have a go at making the transverse waves a bit lower and a bit less pointy as Dave suggested.

First step was to try to knock their height down a bit with some sandpaper...

4lMZgnE.jpg

and the second step was to try to round out their sectional profile to a more sinusoidal shape just as Dave described. Here I've used automotive putty to try to build up the sides of the waves so that they look a bit more 'rolly' and a bit less 'sharp'.

LpQ5PmB.jpg

Following another round of paint it looked like this - not ideal but somewhat better. I'll know for next time.

41bP6PM.jpg

With the ship in place it looks like this... 

My4ERRg.jpg

Now according to steel navy (see the shortcut Dave posted in 201) the...       Transverse wavelength in feet = Ship's speed in knots squared / 2   

Therefore we can work backwards to determine this ship's modelled speed using...       Ships Speed in knots = The Square Root of (transverse wavelength in feet * 2)  

(I think that's right!)...

Hence in this case having scaled off the wavelength and found it to be 180 feet - we can conduct the following maths...   180 *2 = 360   and the square root of 360 = 18.97 = 19 knots...

Given that Carpathia probably had an absolute maximum speed of about 17 knots I have modelled this ship travelling a bit too fast.  Oh well - it will add some visual drama to the model and add to the legend of her ploughing headlong through the night to rescue the beleaguered survivors.

Given the extreme speed I had accidentally modelled I figured I had better use an airbrush to start building up copious froth and foam. Chris Floodberg recommends a base colour of 'peppermint green' with a light spray of white to finish.  Here I've used Gunze Sangyo Japanese army grey-green instead of peppermint and have just started with some white.

Looks a bit of a rude shape actually - but that was not my intention...

jseW4RC.jpg

Looks OK here and I probably should have stopped at this point but carried on with some more white and now I think I might have overdone it...

gXjsw1X.jpg

Might just paint back to a blue base and start again.

As is so often the case with weathering, less can be more...

Best Regards and sorry about all the delays,

Steve 

• Like 5

Very reminiscent of the North Atlantic on an April night in 1912. Now lets see if we can think what's missing, :hmmm: If we think hard enough, perhaps one of us will have that light bulb moment 💡, well if we can find a light bulb on board that is.

Martian the Subtle 👽

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Very reminiscent of the North Atlantic on an April night in 1912. Now lets see if we can think what's missing, :hmmm: 

Good point Martian,

I have seriously considered adding an iceberg but am unsure that I could make a convincing one. ❄️

• Haha 1