RMS Carpathia, Scratchbuild, 1/500 Scale

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Yep! 👍

I tried so hard to keep you out of a hole, from here on in, any jokes about the Aussie workforce are upon your own head. :tease:

Martian 👽

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

We tend to slack off a bit whenever the guards aren’t watching.

In any case it’s hard for us to get much done with manacles around our ankles. 

I blame it all on your collective ancestors. If they had been able to run a bit faster, they wouldn't have been made into Australians in the first place! 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♀️

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Keep voting for lights mate and yours definitely will be! 💀 

Don't worry, my blurglecruncheon and I will protect you.

I'm beginning to think Steve is going end up putting way more effort into avoiding putting lights into this model than it would take to pop them in. If he hasn't yet reached that point, I'm sure we can make it so.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

No ship has ever deserved more beeng spared for torpedo attacks, than the gallant Carpathia. She, whom had so gallantly rescued all those Titanic survivors, coming from all over Europe. Never asking them race or belief.

Yet, that was her sad faith..

RMS Carpathia bering

Edited by Nils
  • Like 5

On February 16, 2019 at 4:06 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Great suggestion about the lights gents and great idea about using the principles of democracy to guide this project, 👍

Last I heard Britmodeller had about 21000 members.

Blinds were visible in all of those portholes. Not necessarily patterned. 

15w bulb or 75w overhead lighting? Oh the choices I know the direction I would take. Calico in beige. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SA80A2AR said:

@Martian Hale

your a custom's officer (even if you are an ex one) so that means that you can stop @Bandsaw Steve coming over!!:innocent::tease::wicked:

He will be way too busy inserting tiny LEDs into bits of wood to be going anywhere! Anyway, if he tries flying Qantas, according to their maps that he showed us he will end up landing in the middle of the Atlantic so customs officers, rubber gloves et al will be superfluous.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Whoops!

Each of my threads seems to contain at least one yawningly boring 'Inspect, Fill, Sand, Repeat' post and this one was going to be it.  Luckily however during that boring bit I discovered that I had made a really good mistake / omission that needed to be fixed quick smart. So this post might be at least a bit more interesting. 

The commentary will be very brief until the glorious moment of 'Whoops'. 

We start with a primed suspect - she looks OK at first... 

nWpfziz.jpg

But on close inspection we find several surface flaws that look like this.

pCaUQnY.jpg

So we scribe over them in a criss-cross fashion...

vvQuiQY.jpg

and fill with Vallejo putty - which is just terrific stuff - sand the surface back and start again.

a2jYC4V.jpg

Whoops!  Just noticed - the forecastle is missing! 😦

Do a bit of measuring off the plans.

oc5BEpE.jpg

Use some dymo tape to mark out an appropriate rebate on the sides of the bow where the forecastle walls will sit.

lF680NP.jpg

Use the dymo tape as a straight-edge to scribe the margins of the rebates and...

3jiFCzW.jpg

use a chisel to gently, carefully carve them out. 

ASCAZOx.jpg

Ahhhh,  There she goes - came out alright.  Was OK on the other side too. 🙂

0Zj5EZp.jpg

Cut out two pieces of brass sheet to the correct size and shape. Use two-part epoxy araldite to glue each one into the rebate. Great stuff that glue!

CD3dYyW.jpg

Sand the brass to clean it up.

Fh6Edhv.jpg

Now the little gap between the two walls, right on the stem of the bow, must be soldered up. I probably could have cut a single piece of brass and wrapped it around the bow's stem but  chose this way, mostly because it promises a sharper edge and because it gives me a chance to play with soldering again. I'm getting a bit addicted to this soldering lark.  

fwNaXtm.jpg

File off the excess solder.

IXd4IJR.jpg

And here's the result.

jVKJEWu.jpg

Obviously the whole ship needs another coat of primer and some more inspect, fill, sand sequences but there's no need to publish pictures of that entirely unremarkable sequence of events. 

Suffice to say things are under control - albeit probably a bit tight against my WASMEx schedule.

Best Regards,

Steve

• Like 12

Sell-out

Work is sending me away from Perth more and more with no sign of letting up and the WASMEx is approaching. So I'm starting to feel a bit apprehensive about whether this will be completed for the 4th of May deadline. It's starting to look like a repeat of last year's sprint to the finish.

About two weeks ago, completely out of the blue, an old mate of mine rang up and told me that he had just bought a brand new home use 3D printer and that he was dying to try it out. 'Did I have anything I wanted 3D printed?' he asked...

Well - here was a dilemma. On the one hand I consider myself an old-fashioned scratchbuilder - cobbling together whatever I can find to make a passable representation of 'the subject' whatever it may be.  but on the other hand I'm running out of time and need 16 lifeboats for this project...  'Do you reckon you could do some lifeboats for an early 20th Century ocean liner?' I replied, and off he went to do some research.  A day later he came back with this, a 'One to Whatever' scale lifeboat from the Titanic - design downloaded from the internet. 

NG05R5H.jpg

'Nice' I told him - in fact it's actually pretty awesome! Now I have no idea of the accuracy of this model, either for Titanic or Carpathia, but it did look the part and so far had cost me one telephone conversation and a brief catch-up for lunch. 'Can you shrink that to 19mm long and do 16 of them?'

Two day's later he came back with 16 beautiful little lifeboats that when positioned on the ship look like this...

MvbZ3K0.jpg

and this...

yIIPjIe.jpg

So that's it. I’m going to sell-out and use these things.

I have been known to use some after-market  stuff in the past so my hands aren't entirely clean but this is my first foray into the dark field of 3D printing- a discipline that will ultimately render any  scratchbuilding skills I may have completely obsolete.

In a way it's a shame, but you can't stop progress and I've got a deadline to meet. And the model does look much better with them onboard!

Best Regards,

Sellout Steve.

• Like 11

Those lifeboats certainly add another dimension to the model.

Just a suggestion but maybe the Titanic lifeboat could form the basis of a diorama? Personal possessions, some clothing, but otherwise empty?

Trevor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sellout Steve

No 'sellout', when your back's against the wall...

When I get round to doing my liner, I'll be looking for lots of life boats and stuff and I won't hesitate to go aftermarket. Life is too short, I have too much to build, not a lot of time left to do it all, so, if I can, I will take the 'short cut'. It's all about balance.

She is looking lovely by the way.

Stuart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Just a suggestion but maybe the Titanic lifeboat could form the basis of a diorama? Personal possessions, some clothing, but otherwise empty?

Hmmmm..... there’s a thought. Or maybe go full out and get some Edwardian period civilian survivors printed. Will dwell on that. 🤔

• Thanks 1

Hello Steve, This is looking great! It was a good recovery for the brass bow, and very neatly solved. As you say, good stuff brass. All I have to do is try some...

As for 'sellout' - no way! You did the 'Sensible Thing' and saved yourself a lot of work. They look fab, and I bet you are secretly glad you had your old mate call you, even if it was for nefarious purposes!

Keep up the good work,

Ray

• Thanks 1

Gidday All, I don't think using the lifeboats is a sellout. Steve, will your model have anchor cable (chain)? If so, will you be making it yourself, each individual link, or will you use a piece of chain the correct size? If you choose the latter (and I would), what is the difference between using pre-made chain and using pre-made lifeboats? They are both part of the model but are both accessories to the ship, not the ship itself. I am currently building a model of HMS York, Exeter's sister ship. I have used two Ajax hulls to get the extra length, and have scratchbuilt all superstructures and weather decks, as those of the Ajax kit were unsuitable. But I have no qualms about using parts from other kits when they suit. To me, it is the end product that matters (personal opinion, I know).

And when I saw those boats just now, with their detail, I turned bright green with envy. Alright, I exaggerate, make it dull green. And Stuart (#172), I understand about life too short, too many models to build and not enough time left to build them.

Enough of me rattling on, regards to all and Steve I hope you make the deadline. You might have to forego democracy and forget the lights. 😁     Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1