RMS Carpathia, Scratchbuild, 1/500 Scale

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:32, JohnWS said:

If you have trouble sleeping, here's a link to some light late night reading - The Oxford Handbook of Maritime Archaeology - Illustrated Glossary of Ship and Boat Terms :pirate:

Just the sort of thing guaranteed to keep this particular alien wide awake, its clearly a page turner!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

I'v been lurking around here for a while, and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only that can mess up a posting.  Keep up the good work.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RichO said:

I'v been lurking around here for a while, and I'm glad to know that I'm not the only that can mess up a posting.  Keep up the good work.

Hi RichO, I was looking at your Russian Frog Prime mover today... awesome job mate! 

See we’re neck and neck for ‘reputation points’. Last one to 3000 buys the beer! 🍺👍

• Haha 1

Step Change

Sorry about that rather dud previous 'nothing to say' post. I don't know if any of you have noticed but accidents do sometimes happen with these electronic-computerizor-binary-abacuses you know. 😢

Here are the drawings of Carpathia's 'counter-stern'. A real-life term that one. If I understand it correctly it means a stern with a distinctive undercut shape with the rudder tucked away under an overhanging 'counter' at the rear of the ship. If you ask me the carved shape here is OK...ish… but I'm not happy with how there's no representation of the distinctive horizontal step in the contouring as shown on the plans beside the tip of the pencil.  It's fairly tough trying to carve a sharp step like that as opposed to a rather gently curved contour, so I'm going to try a new trick.  Well, new for me at least...

a79T9DO.jpg

Use a jeweller's saw to cut a slot where the step should be...

SgYjRnD.jpg

Slot in a sheet of brass...

47wqga3.jpg

Cut the brass shim to the correct shape of the 'step'...

6jzh9Bk.jpg

Slop a whole bunch of automotive bog filler all over the relevant area and let it fully set.  Slowly file and sand your way down to the brass shim ensuring that the angle of sanding above the shim is different to that below it.   So now there is a nice sharp 'step' in the stern's contour exactly where the brass sits. It shows up pretty well in the photo below I think - although there is a bit more cleaning up required at this point.

OrfEdWP.jpg

Kinda useful stuff this brass.

Sorry to, once again,  write as if I'm teaching you all how to do something. I don't actually think of this thread as any kind of 'tutorial' it's just a record of what I've done. I write this way as I find that it's more economical and prevents a plodding 'And then I did thing A' 'And then I did thing B' kind of narrative.

Will aim to post my attack on the dinglehoppers tomorrow.

Best Regards,

Bandsaw....

Bandsaw Steve....  😎

• Like 10

54 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sorry to, once again,  write as if I'm teaching you all how to do something.

Why do you think we follow your posts? I regret to inform you it's not your good looks 😉

That's a neat way out of a tricky situation, duly noted for future use.

Kev 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Gidday Steve, don't apologize about the way you write, you ARE teaching some of us. I've picked up a couple of ideas from this project. And I'm so looking forward to finding out just what a Dinglehopper is! Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

... Sorry to, once again,  write as if I'm teaching you all how to do something. I don't actually think of this thread as any kind of 'tutorial' it's just a record of what I've done. I write this way as I find that it's more economical and prevents a plodding 'And then I did thing A' 'And then I did thing B' kind of narrative.

Will aim to post my attack on the dinglehoppers tomorrow. ...

No apology necessary Steve.  Your threads are always fun to follow.

I'm even learning stuff too.  Just think, before I read your posts I couldn't even spell ‘flimingale’, let alone 'dinglehoppers'. :laugh:

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Gidday, there you go Steve. Not only are you a talented model maker but a combined dictionary/thesaurus as well. Multi talented.

In all seriousness I thought your method of creating the ship's counter stern was quite clever. And the brass reinforced stem, but I think I've mentioned that. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Steve

One (most likely totally unecessary) advice from an very much ex carpenter. It looks from your images that you’ve clamped your wooden hull in a vice? I think you should sandwich it between two wooden bits in the vice to avoid nasty marks from the vice tk your lovely work.

BTW, what type of wood do you use? It looks a bit like beech?

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2019 at 1:45 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Sorry to, once again,  write as if I'm teaching you all how to do something. I don't actually think of this thread as any kind of 'tutorial' it's just a record of what I've done. I write this way as I find that it's more economical and prevents a plodding 'And then I did thing A' 'And then I did thing B' kind of narrative.

Feel free to tutor away mate, I enjoy what you do & am avidly absorbing the details of your work, I can see it being useful for several  potential projects.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nils said:

I think you should sandwich it between two wooden bits in the vice to avoid nasty marks from the vice tk your lovely work.

BTW, what type of wood do you use? It looks a bit like beech?

Hi Nils

Good advice that. I only got away with that careless bit of vice-clamping because the vice has removable plastic guards or ‘shoes’ to protect the wood - they are the blue bits you can see in the photo. Wooden protective blocks would be a safer bet though. 

As as for the wood it’s a New Zealand native timber - ‘Kahakatia’ is the Maori name but it’s also known as NZ white pine. It’s a lot like basswood to work - absolutely beautiful carving properties. Have never worked with beech so don’t know if it’s similar or not. 

Thanks for following along and always remember;  ‘Jesus was a carpenter’ 👍

Steve

• Like 3

Dinglehoppers

I've done some research and apparently 'dinglehopper' is actually a real world nautical term. It's the term that wayward mermaid princesses use for cutlery found on the sea floor following a shipwreck. I was going to provide photographic proof, but Disney has a very strong copyright law division and I don't want to risk the wrath of  @Mike when he finds that Britmodeller's about to get sued...    Google 'dinglehopper' if you want to know what I'm on about.

Anyhow with that term now strictly out of bounds I had to revert to some 'research' and have discovered that, absurdly enough, the little round windows down the side of a ship are called 'port-holes'

Consider these important logical points:

• approximately 50% of all 'port holes' are actually on the starboard side
  • the entire point of a ship's hull is to not have holes in it...  holes are dangerous things in a ship

So the term is both inaccurate and disconcerting and should be replaced with something like - 'Port and Starboard transparencies...'  I'm writing to the European Union to see if I can get this terminology adopted. :penguin:

Here's how to make some very basic portholes in short order.   Take some dymo tape and lay it out on your laminated copy of the master plans. Use a fine line permanent marker - ideally finer than the one I used here - and mark of along the tape where all of the transparencies sit.

BEOK3Hy.jpg

Mark out the distance down the side of the ship that the portholes sit on and stick the Dymo onto the correct spot. Now take a pin and mark a small dent where each one needs to go.

oyjVacX.jpg

Using the indentations as a starting point, get the Dremel out and drill out each hole with a suitably small drill bit.

E4mod82.jpg

Do the superstructure too and after a pleasant evening's work you should have something that looks a bit like this. She looks a bit rough here but this is a quick build. 😐

cmK3D7j.jpg

Looks better from a distance... 😁

1AdrfbM.jpg

So now I reckon it's time to hit the bits that have been all stuck together with a bit of primer.  On all of my previous scratch-builds I've slopped some white wood primer onto the model before spraying, but over time I've come to convince myself that it's not necessary. In this case I think it's undesirable because it'll clog up the dinglehoppers - sorry the 'Port and Starboard transparencies'.   So I'm going  for Mr Hobby 1200 primer straight onto the wood and brass. Wish me luck.

b8hZJoV.jpg

Ta Dah - there she goes. So far so good.

3oIWxwW.jpg

She looks a bit like a troopship at the moment but rest assured she will be finished in those beautiful world-famous Cunard colours that I'm sure you all know and love. To my knowledge Carpathia was never camouflaged, she wore civilian colours right to her sad end on 17 July 1918 when she was torpedoed and sunk by U55.

Best Regards and keep building

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 11

Gidday Steve, I thought "He's bullsh . . . , telling porkies, he's gotta be!" So I googled 'Dinglehopper". I will never doubt your knowledge and skills with language ever again.

Oh, and the ship's not looking bad either. I take it you will be putting lights behind each and every port and starboard transparency? After all, her mad dash to fame and glory was done at night time. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

. I take it you will be putting lights behind each and every port and starboard transparency?

Yes - of course - the ship would look unfinished without them!

And Yes! I do sometimes tell porkies. 🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Consider these important logical points:

• approximately 50% of all 'port holes' are actually on the starboard side

okay, it took me a while but I got there in the end!   :doh:

3 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

So the term is both inaccurate and disconcerting and should be replaced with something like - 'Port and Starboard transparencies..

or we could go really wild and call them something outlandish, like.... windows !

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, hendie said:

or we could go really wild and call them something outlandish, like.... windows !

Unacceptable suggestion Sir...

Picture this...

A ship at sea - mid ocean - battling a severe storm, it’s very existence threatened by swell and wind and wave, The captain orders ‘open windows’ and without hesitation his crew comply with the order, thereby allowing a mass ingress of water and sealing the ship’s doom.

A completely avoidable catastrophe, made all the more tragic given that all the captain wanted was for someone to start his PC. 

No Sir..,

.’Windows’ is an unacceptable suggestion!... 🧐

• Haha 7