RMS Carpathia, Scratchbuild, 1/500 Scale

Very nice update Steve. 

4 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

so let's not get too hung about the big blobby bits of solder left over.

and one of the nice things about solder is that it is so soft, that you can remove it very easily by slicing with a sharp blade, or a few swipes with a small file. Simples.

I'm not sure how much you know about this soldering alchemy, but once you've finished soldering you should clean up the joint or it will tarnish and corrode pretty quickly.  I keep a tub of acetone and an old toothbrush handy.  A quick scrub and it's all done. 

Then I can put the wife's toothbrush back and she's none the wiser!

3 hours ago, longshanks said:

Not bad for someone who claims to work for  Bodge It & Leggit !!

oh, I think he's won that claim!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, hendie said:

I'm not sure how much you know about this soldering alchemy, but once you've finished soldering you should clean up the joint or it will tarnish and corrode pretty quickly.  I keep a tub of acetone and an old toothbrush handy.  A quick scrub and it's all done. 

Hello Hendie,

If you assume I know nothing about soldering you won’t be far wrong. Thanks for the tip regarding the acetone. I’ll pick some up at the next opportunity,

4 hours ago, hendie said:

Then I can put the wife's toothbrush back and she's none the wiser!

Thoughtful! Don’t want her teeth to tarnish and corrode now do we. 🤔

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, hendie said:

Steve, IPA will work just as well for clean up

Too late Hendie; I bought half a litre of acetone yesterday. It cost a whole $7.50. 

I’ll send my invoice to the usual address. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

nice bit of building.  any more happening on the 504 or is that ground to a halt

like i said before nice bit of making

• Thanks 1

The Avro is temporarily ‘on ice’ (but not in the Titanic sense) and I will back on it as soon as this project is complete.

That’s part of the reason I’m pleased with this one’s progress; I’m quite looking forward to getting back to the Avro. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Redshift said:

Starting to look pretty good. Whats the plan for details like lifeboats , winches and railings etc.?

Plan....? 🧐

Plan?   🤔

I’m not sure I understand the question - what are these ‘plan’ things you speak of?

• Haha 2

Brass in Pocket...

In this post I'm 'gonna use my, my, my, imagination...' to do some new stuff - for me at least - with brass...

Carpathia needs a rudder and I think that while the hull is split in half is the best time to add it. Mark up and cut out the relevant 'rudderish' bit, as shown below, and cut out the shape with a good strong pair of scissors or a nice precise set of tin-snips.

i9JsX15.jpg

Now chisel out a rebate for the brass piece to sit in.

HCvnvOC.jpg

Here's the rebate, or 'pocket' cut out...

oryrh0W.jpg

and here is the 'brass in pocket'. Held in place very firmly with two-part araldite. 

wGJDhxM.jpg

Here's the effect when the two halves of the hull are dry-fitted together.

uMDpxfg.jpg

And now to the bow.  I was a bit concerned that the stem of the bow was not visibly sharp enough to be convincing but that if I carved it sharp enough the wood would be vulnerable to chipping and denting on the leading edge.  So here I have essentially repeated the process at the stern except with the rebate cut at the very front of the ship and the brass sheet inserted so that a thin edge is exposed at the tip of the bow. In this case the stem will be made of brass embedded on the centreline of the ship. I'm hoping that the metal will be both stronger and able to hold a shaper edge than the wood.

ttv7x55.jpg

And now the two halves of the hull are ready to stick together.

AHujCOW.jpg

Just glue 'em up and stick 'em together.  Simply using PVA for the wood and more araldite for the metal-to-wood contact. Let it sit in the clamps for 24 hours.

uTsHR0U.jpg

Done! One hull. 👍 Note how the paper on the deck stuck on with spray-on photo adhesive has survived the whole process. That cheap spray-on adhesive is very impressive!

K7x2fOV.jpg

So that's that - a bit of brass work completed. If you look closely at the bow you can just see the metal leading edge sticking forward of the wood. It still needs a bit of cleaning up but I think it worked well.

Brass is a material that I have only discovered relatively recently and I am really enjoying finding out some of the great things that can be done with this strong, affordable, available and highly user-friendly modelling material.  I enjoy using brass and now keep some 'in my (proverbial) pocket' at all times.

I could tell you that I'm now an expert in the use of brass, but if I did I would be lying and I'm sure you would all see me as a Pretender. :penguin:

Best Regards,

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

Your choice of materials and techniques is always big surprise to me ;) I like to watch your builds, to see how to do something out of material I would never and I mean NEVER even consider for the job. Its refreshing, keep up the good work :) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nils said:

Great progres on a little boat 😊

I’m really tempted to try this

Don’t try it Nils! 😱 Scratchbuilding is incredibly difficult and requires extraordinary skills that take decades and decades of diligent daily practice to have even the most basic grasp of... 

Nah! Not true! 🤪

Have a crack mate! 😀

Start with something simple that interests you. Get some appropriate drawings, a handful of tools and some half decent wood (or plastic if that’s your thing). Don’t get tied up with trying to achieve the standards that expert kit builders reach (some of their stuff is unbelievable) and just get going. 👍

It’s a good idea to post a WIP on this site because there’s plenty of know-how available here!

Have fun! I’m sure I’m not the only one waiting for the WIP now!

Steve

• Like 4

Gidday Steve, I've been following this build with interest. I also have the book, received it as a gift. I like your idea of reinforcing the bow, I might try it with styrene or brass with a build I have in mind. And I remember the song, and the group. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Superstructure and Super-Organism...

So far only the two halves of the hull have been glued together.  Now lets get started on fixing the main components of the superstructure.

At the moment the position of all of these structures are indicated solely by the paper plan that's stuck on the deck of the ship. As this paper will be removed very soon, the first step is to transfer the exact position of all of the major components onto the underlying wood. This is achieved by simply pricking the corner points of each major structure using a sharp pin and thereby leaving a series of tiny marker holes in the wood below at a few critical points.

sXQ4X0i.jpg

For one or two linear features we can mark the wood below with a cut from a razor blade.

gZig65x.jpg

Now we can use white spirits to dissolve the spray-on adhesive that's held the paper in position for all of this time...

wk1obwU.jpg

and simply peel the paper off.

k9Shnso.jpg

Now - using everyday PVA glue - we can stick the major superstructure components into place. I spread the glue out a bit more evenly than shown in this photo, but you get the idea.

Ps1mbu4.jpg

Clamp it and leave it for a few hours - in this case the join is perhaps a bit less critical than the split down the hull so I only left this one clamped for about 6 hours - which was more than enough for a good firm grip, especially in +35C summer heat. Note that I've left a very slight 'step' between the vertical side of the hull and the vertical side of this bit of the superstructure. There's a reason for this that will become apparent in a later post.

DDuOGgA.jpg

Now it's a fairly simple matter of attaching selected smaller blocks, using the hull join as a guide to the centreline and a small set-square as a means of setting them accurately at right-angles.

Nztfq3W.jpg

Make sure to clean out any excess PVA that seeps out the side with a toothpick or whatever other convenient tool comes to hand.

XPF7htg.jpg

Here's the current state of play. Everything you see here is now permanently glued down.  I'm happy enough with this.

apxGDow.jpg

And here's your free woodworking tip for the day; when sharpening chisels don't use linseed oil.  I had some surplus linseed oil left over from a bit of oil-painting I'd been doing and thought that I'd try it on the oilstone. This seemed like a great idea, and it actually worked pretty well - but there's a catch.  Perth is basically built on an enormous ant-hill. Ants love our warm summers, mild winters and sandy soils. It also turns out that they love linseed oil, so this was what greeted me the following morning... The Ant Super-Organism had found my factory and claimed it as it's own.  There were thousands of these little blighters.

8MlGTsH.jpg

So it was out with the Mortein and back to petroleum-based rather than vegetable-based products for me. So much for my attempt at sustainability.

I wonder if people have the same problem with bio-fuels?

Steve

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

That is WA for sure. Have to get back to my Home state for a visit. That is one superb piece of Workmanship you have going. Insanely good.....Cheers Mark

• Thanks 1