Advice painting resin kits

Whofan

Just a quick question that I'm sure someone here has a good idea on.

I've picked up a couple of the retrofit R2 -Bananaas kits, which are simply R2D2 as a minion, and I'm wondering is there a preferred preparation for painting resin?

Other than a wash in mildly soapy warm water, is there something else that would help primer/paint adherence?

I intend to use halfords white primer on it and Tamiya white acrylic  paint.

Edited by Whofan

i used the mr hobby resin primer, didnt seem to stick any better than anything else.  just wash it well. i use mr surfacer, tamiya and halfords and they all stick about the same. (halfords tends to be "dustier" than the others though)

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I intend to use halfords white primer on it and Tamiya white acrylic  paint

Perfect, wash and prime with Halfords...………...some prefer black primer, others grey, just a matter of preference...….I have been making resin kits for years and do exactly as you do without ever, any problems

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, noeyedears said:

i used the mr hobby resin primer, didnt seem to stick any better than anything else.  just wash it well. i use mr surfacer, tamiya and halfords and they all stick about the same. (halfords tends to be "dustier" than the others though)

Interesting about the Halfords. As I've got two of the little kits, I might try the halfords on one and something else on the other.

Edited by Whofan

mr surfacer 1000/1200 seems to go on much smoother than halfords cans. mind you that could be that its much easier to thin mr surfacer to perfection.

halfords primer polishes up nicely though, and sticks like____ to a blanket.