My Introductory Builds - 1/72 I-16, Yak-3, & BF-109

Hello, and a very nearly happy new year!

I'm Greg, and I just finished posting my introduction. I realize that it is most appropriate to post only one build per topic here, but because it's my first post and I recently finished three little builds which I think are worthy of sharing, I'll just do all three here to start... I admit that I am slightly intimidated due to the tremendous skills I see displayed by many members here, but one does have to start somewhere and I realize that this is a very supportive community!

So far I have not acquired many tools or materials specific to modeling. I dabble in landscape painting, and prefer to use acylics for my work and have plenty on hand, so I've used those exclusively for these builds. I mix all of my own colors and apply the paint with brushes. I use micro set and micro sol to apply decals.

The first is a Polikarpov I-16 built by ICM, which was a decent little kit that went together smoothly, though it lacks fine details. The second is a Yakovlev Yak-3 by Zvezda, and the third is a Messerschmitt BF-109 by Zvezda - I hand painted the swastikas on due to lack of decals. I also made a mistake and left the rear landing gear down on that piece. The last two kits came in a single package as a "dueling" set. My wife is Russian and her mother has sent me several kits that she's acquired in Moscow, most of which have been Zvezda. I do enjoy the quality of those kits and am looking forward to building a couple more in the near future!

Cheers!

-Gregory

(p.s. Please excuse the dust and specks of sand on all three models - yesterday they were used in an outdoor war game!)

IMG_7263

IMG_7264

IMG_7267

IMG_7270

IMG_7272

IMG_7275

IMG_7274

IMG_7277

IMG_7279

IMG_7280

IMG_7287

IMG_7290

Edited by Kilroy1988
  • Like 21

4 hours ago, HansReggelsen said:

Are you concentrating on the planes from the Eastern Front in WW2? :hmmm:

Thanks, guys!

Hans, to some extent I am concentrating on the Eastern Front - I've become interested in the VVS since I began taking trips to Russia to visit my wife's family, and am looking forward to making my first tours of the Great Patriotic War Museum and the Central Air Force Museum in Moscow during our next tour in March!

However, I also have three Italian kits waiting to build, and am interested in most aviation technology leading up to and during the war. Cheers!

-Gregory

• Like 1

Good stuff there.mate.  I agree some of the builds you see on here can be intimidating if not downright terrifying.  I'm convinced some of these lads ain't human... I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Fruit of the Loom labels on their pilots' underwear.    Any time you want to feel unintimidated, have a look at my gear... I'm the eternal newbie!

• Like 1

Welcome!  And a very nice way to introduce yourself. I like to think of my own efforts as mid range in the skills set but sometimes wonder what I am doing compared to some of the masterpieces on here. However, I enjoy what I do and find inspiration on here to keep improving forward with my efforts and just try that little extra thing to improve here and there. I used to play squash and golf with my younger brother and the fact that he was better than me certainly improved my game , and I get a similar feel sometimes from modeling. Carry on and enjoy your modeling and we will enjoy your results with you. 

Keith 

• Like 4

Thanks, folks! I'm glad the the Zvezda pieces seem to inspire some enthusiasm. I myself am also a bit let down by the I-16. I'm thinking of trying to re-paint areas of the landing gear to resemble reality (like some shiny silvered sections to represent hydraulic rods) and to do some additional weathering on the paint.

I'll keep posting my stuff, as another kit should be completed this weekend! That'll be an Italeri JU-88 in a winter coat as well. Cheers!

-Gregory

• Like 1

I'll go ahead an post a single photo of the I-16 after some weathering work was done. It's definitely "finished" now, as I don't think the overall quality of the build justifies any more time spent... Onto the next thing!

-Gregory

IMG_8137

• Like 1

Hello Gregory,

very nice little birds here! As I was a hand-brusher for years, I know how difficult it can be.

On 31/12/2018 at 18:37, Uncle Pete said:

I wouldn't be surprised if I saw Fruit of the Loom labels on their pilots' underwear.

I wore the Fruit Of The Loom sweater back in the school days... What’s wrong with it?! 😶

20 hours ago, Putty Animal said:

I especially like the Yak. 

Me too.

42 minutes ago, Kilroy1988 said:

It's definitely "finished" now, as I don't think the overall quality of the build justifies any more time spent...

Great weathering work! Now she looks finished 👍

44 minutes ago, Kilroy1988 said:

Onto the next thing!

Right decision!

Cheers! 🙂

• Like 1