Old Airfix Do17E

Adam Poultney

How is the old Airfix Do17E kit? What can I expect from it? Raised panel lines? Awful fit?

Is the detail decent? I'm not too bothered by it being too detailed, especially on the interior. 

Anything else I should know about it?

I built one years (and years) ago and haven’t revisited the kit. I don’t remember anything about accuracy beyond it looked like a Do 17E. It is from the raised lines and lots of rivets era but what I recall was reasonable fit and adequate detail for the time

Well worth the effort and one of the best Airfix kits of its era,...... I have happy memories of this kit. As others have said, nice detail, good fit and recessed panel lines as far as I can remember,..... what I do remember being surprised by was the excellent tread detail on the tyres and detailed undercarriage.

Good luck if you build it,....one of the better kits from the 70`s,

Cheers

Tony 

• Like 2

Raised rivets, but not that many as on their older ones and not as pronounced as on some contemporaries as e. g. the Islander or Hurri IIb. Main panel detail IIRC is actually mostly recessed. Basic cockpit detail for a rather confined space. I‘d rate it as one of their better kits from the era. 

• Like 1

Not bad overall, typical Airfix from the era, some scribed (soft) panel lines and limited rivits, Engine nacelles were complex to assemble and IIRC are supposedely oversize. limited cockpit detail, heavy tread details on the wheels, very much a product of its time.

Edited by Charlie Hugo

I started one years ago- from peeking back in the musty old box, (Don't you just love the aroma of old kit boxes?) it was actually pretty nice for its day, as has been pointed out. Nacelles were over-complicated; wheel bays had no structure or detailing, transparencies were thick but clear and fit fairly well; fabric needed to be sanded down quite a bit to be more in scale, and if so, you would really need to replace all the flap actuator fairings. For some reason, which escapes me now, I replaced the kit horizontal stabilizer and fins with the ones from the Monogram Do-17Z, which just needed a very slight trimming to fit...maybe it was the chord/shape of the kit  stabilizer. With new transparencies (Falcon or Squadron?) and some cockpit detailing, (I think I was using those bits from my Monogram kit as well as its MG's to dress it up.) and some work in the wheel bays, I would think you could get a very nice model. The Monogram wheels were also better in appearance, I haven't seen the RS kit, but it would probably be better, but a lot more expensive. I still have an unbuilt Airfix kit in my stash. Bet @tonyot would be the man to see for more information. It sure is a handsome airplane!

Mike

Hello,

I had the Airfix to be used with a Frog Do 17Z to make a Do 17P. My impression was similar that one of the best Airfix kits of the era. I can't comment RS E-type but at least the P has better detailing level in general and clearly more detailed interior and thinner clear parts.

I would say that Airfix is a good kit and RS even better. Both are definately builadle depending on modeller's preference.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Like 2

Nice kit. Softer scribed lines small amount of rivets (airfix riveter was on vacation that day), nice canvas under wings

AFAIK

there is a bit of a hump on fuselage - wing joint but nothing a file and sandpaper wouldn't cure.

BTW While there is no interior Extratech produced a rather comprehensive PE set for this kit which included quite comprehensive cockpit detail.

15 minutes ago, TISO said:

Nice kit. Softer scribed lines small amount of rivets (airfix riveter was on vacation that day), nice canvas under wings

AFAIK

there is a bit of a hump on fuselage - wing joint but nothing a file and sandpaper wouldn't cure.

BTW While there is no interior Extratech produced a rather comprehensive PE set for this kit which included quite comprehensive cockpit detail.

Never used photoetch. I tend to build straight out the box, except the decals sometimes (mainly swastikas for my Luftwaffe aircraft). I'm trying to find a masking set for it though with no luck so far.....

• 3 weeks later...

The kit is eminently buildable. sanding off the rivets is easy - rescribe if you want to.