Supermarine Swift stencils.....a few questions...

Artie

Hi all....

Trying to guess some things about it. We've seen some colour profiles showing the stencils in red colour, others in yellow colour (Warpaint book), and the Airfix kit gives you a full set of black stencils.....We're finishing the design of the decal sheet, and need to know who's telling the truth..!!!!

On the other hand....is there any decal sheet or stencils diagram, were we could find out what's written in each and one of those tiny signs???? We haven't got the Airfix kit by hand, and ordering one from the big H is not an option because it would take some time.......... we want to finish the kit ASAP and start delivering it....

TIA and best regards

DSC_0046_4.JPG

Neither surviving FR5 has authentic stencil markings, and no-one seems to have surviving documentation. Airfix had to work from what photos they had available for their kit. There are colour photos available that show the ones on the nose are yellow but the rest are mainly back.

Artie, watch out for published sources and preserved examples. Most have too large roundels at 30ins. My own conclusions are that correct sizes are 27ins in all six positions although I'm sure that I'm about to get jumped on for saying this. Modeldecal have it wrong on their roundel generic sheet, copied by Xtradecal on their version. Underwing serials are 30ins, not 36ins. 

Main problem I ran up against with my 1/72 models was the paucity of 27ins roundels either from spare old decals or from the above mentioned Xtradecal/Modeldecal sheets, i.e. Not many of that size provided anywhere.

Regarding kits and roundels, Freightdog and Xtrakit have it correct (in my view) at 27ins. Airfix are totally different at 30ins all round. CMR had a mix of 30 and 27ins, Pegasus were good at 27ins. Falcon (1/48) provide a mix of 4 x 27ins and 2 x 30ins. I did buy some Xtrakit Swifts primarily for the decal sheets which have correct roundels, stencils, fin flash and serials. Coincidentally, the Xtrakit 79Sqn. markings also have a red outline (correctly) a detail also missed on the Airfix decals.

The answer is to be quite careful with roundels and underwing serials since different kits and references give vastly conflicting sizings.

Your question regarding stencils is very valid. Contemporary colour photos generally show yellow stencilling but there might have been a switch to black at some point. Could you perhaps make a case to print two sets on each sheet, one yellow and one black if there is room ?

There is a long long thread from 2015 here on BM:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234989089-swift-roundels-correct-size/&page=2

Finally, there is also the thorny question of belly tank size and shape. I think the issues might stem from the old Aviation News/Warpaint plans. The Airfix belly tank matches the plans perfectly but is very wrong. If you want a good template, the CMR kit has a well shaped tank as does the Pegasus kit. Colin at Freithdog also does a nice replacement 1/72 belly tank. Again, a forum thread here on BM:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986323-airfix-swift-belly-tank-size-question/

Don't forget to put me on the list for a kit!

Nige

If I were you Artie, concerning the roundel decals, I would do as ALL the other manufacturers have done on this and other subjects?  Go with what YOU think is right, their are plenty of choices out from manufactures of roundel decal sheets, plus, I would imagine plenty of roundels in peoples spares boxes...………...discussions on this topic in the past have opened a can of worms and as you can see, that discussion is still going on and will forever...…………….go with your instinct, 

3 hours ago, rayprit said:

If I were you Artie, concerning the roundel decals, I would do as ALL the other manufacturers have done on this and other subjects?  Go with what YOU think is right, their are plenty of choices out from manufactures of roundel decal sheets, plus, I would imagine plenty of roundels in peoples spares boxes...………...discussions on this topic in the past have opened a can of worms and as you can see, that discussion is still going on and will forever...…………….go with your instinct, 

Probably reasonably good advice Ray but your observation on roundel availabilty (see the comment on my own post above) is not so straightforward when it comes down to 27" roundels. I have a huge spare decal bank and all the generic sheets and said 27inchers are few and far between. It might be that only one or two types ever used that size.

Hi all......first thing first: I wish you a very happy and joyful 2019.

After two days "off" for obvious reasons (single malt and jamaican rum can play havoc these days), i would like to give you all a big thank you for all your answers, both here and through PMs.....I'll take good note of all your advices, and make Juan aware of them.

Last week, we went to purchase some resin to our local supplier, and to our surprise, it will be closed until next january, 8th. On the other hand, the cardboard boxes are still on itheir way from Germany (we buy them online there,).......The kits will be shipped in two weeks and, IMHO, this is by far our best kit, you won't be dissapinted. Juan is also working with a new instructions sheet, we've been thinking about that since we received some inouts from fellow britmodellers who purchased our Supermarine Scimitar.  This is how they are looking by now:

45647035415_17058f48c7_c.jpgWhatsApp Image 2018-12-30 at 22.13.29 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

45647036445_b0b8344c26_c.jpgWhatsApp Image 2018-12-30 at 22.13.51 by Arturo Navarro, en Flickr

• Like 1

• 1 month later...