Future/klear help!

rkp111

Greetings to everyone

I am new to Britmodeller and hoping someone could tell me why I can't get an even coat spraying klear I keep the psi at 15lbs and I have good air brushes I haven't had any problems spraying clear Cote or paints, seems that the future puddles and is very spotty. Thanks in advance for any input.

Robert from the USA

Hi, Robert. 

Welcome to Britmodeller. I'm sure you'll find it a great place to be. 

How old is the Future? Is there any chance that it has been stored for a while in sunlight (not a good idea with this product).?

All I could suggest is that you try spraying it at both a higher or lower pressure, to see what PSI works best. 

As I'm sure you know, one of the great characteristics of Future is it's made to "self-level" very well in most situations. It's so good at self-levelling that you can paint it on with a wide brush and it should level out and thus eliminate any brush-marks. 

The only time I've heard of anyone having real problems with Future was with a batch in Canada which the user believes had been allowed to freeze whilst in transit, which made it go onto a model with a very uneven finish. 

Hope this is of some help to you. 

Chris.

PS: Are you thinning it with anything? Some folks cut it with water or Isopropal Alcahol.

Edited by spruecutter96
Adding some info.

I was cutting it with windex with ammonia about 50/50. I believe my pressure was around 12-15 psi. Though I've since stopped spraying it temporarily. I was having serious issues with it drying before i could clean my A/b. When i went to clean it my solvents weren't getting it all out, and it was causing painting issue’s.

When i can pick up a cheapo A/B i will use that for future/clear coats. My Iwata was to expensive to use for that. Currently i have resumed brushing it. As its self leveling i dont get brush strokes. Takes a bit longer but worth the piece of mind for my A/B and wallets sake.  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Maybe being a brush painter makes me biased but painting undiluted Klear on gives a superb finish, it self levels & brush marks are not a problem. I use a largish flat brush of decent quality. It is quite forgiving stuff. On the other hand, I have seen more than a few photos on here of airbrushed Klear that appears to have an almost stippled finish. I assume that it dries sufficiently during delivery so it does not self level properly. Regardless of other opinions, it makes a very good clear coat & accepts a matt coat over the top or can be matted using tamiya x-21 flat base.

Steve.

I've used Klear, the old UK formula, for many years without any problem in my airbrushes. I have sprayed this straight from the bottle but currently I prefer to add a couple of drops of retardant for acrylic paints. This solves or at least mitigates the problem of the product drying on the airbrush tip.

Spotty coverage sounds like a problem with a too high pressure, I'd just try lowering this a bit. 15 PSI should in theory not be too high a pressure, I usually keep it just a little lower at 12. Guess you can try lowering your pressure and see what happens.