2018 Builds - didn't quite make the one a week goal

Howdy Y'all and Happy New Year!

I've been "lurking" on this site for years, and I've always really appreciated the quality, engineering and works of art this site showcases. It's my go-to site for new inspiration, and to be frank, the quality is a bit intimidating. To put it mildly.

I've finally had the chance to start modelling again, after a long absence. And to make a serious attempt to whittle a large (200+) stockpile of kits, accumulated over the last 10 years. My Resolution for 2018 was to finish a kit a week?!? I had some setbacks through the year - oldest Son's wedding, got Flu A and B early on ???, and dealt with some major changes at work. I didn't succeed, but I came darn close, and feel pretty good about the quantity, if not always the quality. Most weeks consisted of straight out of the box - which I rediscovered can be a lot of fun. And more than a few times I made such a costly error, that I shelved or trashed a project, and had to knock out a weekend project just to get back on track.

I apologize that a couple of these are not aircraft related, but with one exception (Porsche) they are all 1/48 scale. Here is my 2018 builds, in no particular order;

X-47B Nice kit, easy to build. VERY thick plastic, but it wasn't ever an issue. Unfinished base!

noGt7Z10Zu_s08Oc3hEHXAESlt7VlQDqgi9U6PW0

Hasegawa F-22 - fun kit, good engineering, LOTS of parts!!! This kit does not photograph as well as the others. I suspect it has to do with the special finish, but it looks much more subtle in person.

xZwfe72VGLHKgPR19A4FvodmS6_FNH0u8_pLlyq5

Hasegawa P-47 - fun build, got the markings on the backside of three of four prop blades, D'oh!

6XhBc-Lua4rPkvBSRGeF12--QkPej_NHH5MU9Z6U

Saab J-29 - nice kit, and the base lights up to illuminate the acrylic rod that exits the contrail. 

_EMBQkV_PSJ0ywegdyNh2-Xk3d7SJWKWs9MoEeN1

Some carrier and airfield support equipment - very nice filler for weeks where the original project went south.

yOHV3ML0pS4pKL3s14vpvoX07ynnbDpB9KBnv3we

04DJie3aQygXI3CSDsvpBXhhzXyAtM-efUYEZkoz

PUy3D4Kg3IxIfOiK-QSjQnZoKPW8hn6S7xrSh9_y

5p0m3VqtesGqllMJ9JJ0m9ztQ1n1Ot59vXpGuihR

-h8JZuUPlk6PfcP04yiKrnisor1CEhkmhSZIBJlR

The only non 1/48 scale kit for the year. Again, sorry for off-topic, but it's easier to post everything in one spot.

aMHbJdrryE_bC3W7KWpFtLjSs6iwx_3_WXgsD-nA

I always thought the YF-23 should have won the contract. Love this kit so much I have a couple more waiting to be built in other liveries. Also note the unfinished base, it will be a running theme, unfortunately.

B6qxGJzNRjVe71Y9lEpgBLjNnch8gWonkm3enxPO

This was an OK kit, though a couple fit issues kept it from being as fun as I had hoped.

l1RtXIT4fUszIO7CKPGf32LBBS1ej83CQS7D_xNd

Loved this kit! Quite a few parts fit so well (canopy, wings, flaps) that I didn't use glue at all. Also my first time using E Z Line.

c-vi9O4dtulWvHXkMwdXYIX0zsV40DS-WnDa5HsE

Another in flight model. This one "plugs" into triangular brass rod and displays in the takeoff position

ZIL_noRTiPqhYv5aIu6UW-lAYW1MVuARmEqrKedW

I really built this in a week! The only fit issue was tailplanes, the tab/slot was much too fragile/small for such a large piece. First time using oils to weather. 

rRg6godOvHKOpKQ5AzbfxNtastBC0n1JQbPX77Mt

H-21 - This was the least fun kit of the year. Canopy would not fit after lots of filing. filling and fiddling. Super glue eventually did the trick, but ended up crazing inside despite my precautions.

k2yRMvpzVF5SDkwVqs7wQtiu1JWs64v4SH3ZDamC

RQ-4 Global Hawk - Great kit, easy to build, very few pieces.

-kUas59PVzEqZ8ow5fR6v8SMQrJlCJbPdD9A1S4u

I think this deck tractor is from the Monogram B-24 kit? I just needed something to display with the P-47

fHrXDtHOE8uB3TIC1AcCQeM_iYLR_LWLWuNpfOpa

Old Revell 1950's kit. I just primed and beat it up as a test bed for the Vallejo rust wash. The wash looks terrible until it dries, then looks very convincing.

vI9CVTjDvJJm_EE63P-vxVjK-GEkQ6TKOq19WZ-A

F-104G - Fun kit, great build. Lesson learned building two kits at the same time (F-104C) - don't get variants parts mixed up! i accidentally glued the wrong tail halves to each other and had to perform unnecessary surgery.

Wkeqb0bZJ2LJcMbFUNUvLiYLOL-3hIM9W6O1IyOe

F-15E - R/M kit. I LOVE this kit. I've built three and can say everything about them is great, except the decals.

pSAndXbK6ZyN0ulw6lIc5hOkEEwlGwZf-TeCK9n6

T-38 - Wolfpack kit. Really nice kit. White finish was no problem on this kit, but will haunt me later in the year...

TY5CqnxVPF4myw3VK3C5jsLa3B75eN0aukmGlo2c

D-558 Skystreak - one of my last and worst kits of the year. Started having issues with white finish on a couple kits (which is why there's no Thunderbirds F-16 in this post) and didn't solve it until recently.

If you look at the wings closely, you'll notice the 'alligator' cracks in the white. Tamiya white acrylic and future do NOT play well together - FYI.

NnXot4mki_opcGxGSat9NZfXTVbnbmu5GWND4nnL

F-16XL - fun build, with one or two challenges. The biggest was the fit of the canopy, but since I display it open sometimes (custom painted NASA test pilot) I can't really clamp it down.

o84mjeWc-WzWvEDmngDcw8Sq5_UGa0rc7i4Z7-tJ

F-104C - also the hasegawa kit. Free handed the Tiger Meet scheme. Decals were old Cutting Edge

foQ5qNhkC74YwacBtsjNghXvydZdHR1euJgQ6qEg

Verlinden V-100 armored car. Air Force, so it still fits this group? No? Worth a try.

7WkYKHyCZtT0gP-1vd1I5mDrY5UuzJ_0K930vSDc

Eduard X-1 - Nice kit, spartan, but the only game in town, so...

eMQKOzAa_DWH1KN7rfKTWJITXUx4eVnQGX7tlq0F

T-38A - Wolfpack kit. Nice build, but not 100% accurate for a Shuttle chase plane.  

4qpCztmwuAreXHZsTkBKcavp_9A8kJzTovkD_SjF

Voyager Space Probe - Hasegawa kit with Eduard PE and a little scratchbuilding. This might be my favorite result of 2018!

QFXrqpyAmJ4-BTOmPhUHEtrUB0MIS9DNv6rFQPsf

RkXAbtvIu1NX-JXKY0EGeRlrxSkEhBxIlbqeWUuC

AsGPN9LWAq1MTh24UT4XDGRsC-V7WE7Pvli2xF3d

I'm not even sure where I got these, they were in a baggie. It's my first attempt at figures (early in the year) and I was still using Enamels with watercolor wash. I'm now experimenting with oils and like the results much better.

yt_GDA-xVn9_iftbXFkZK4f1-8nUGZF6VUBEKDVI

Armor, sorry.

wbKaPS6S4wMkDEGh4b4pj6heVvyrQhormILY_1G4

dF8p_VFrGRdt8_HS8uAXg6iincPuAMh-QZq8H1xa

ZdCJKb7i_zMnYpiscbsZw98q8ctAWEg64Y4CeHuO

Xc_jVDXvx5W58H6hyhvZBRCHT7trG6F1YlJZ5ArM

SmgN1_VVzaOcPlQBiyYBbCRMyTSTri1-cNvXE1ph

MQ-9 Reaper - Easy build, fun to finish

H2owj8u0_ydJpoQtnhVYsOO38XM-bYf7DLBJJR61

RQ-7b - this thing is tiny!!! My first attempt at showing worn, grimy with undercoating exposed.

n09LOwQtfEJc35tjv16FmT3-1gaoWTCw7X2gDTKU

S. E. 5 Revell kit. This is a GREAT fitting kit, and I'm very glad this was my first ever Biplane kit. And my last kit of the year. Very pleasing way to finish up 2018!

1ox_0Cx9j_RLArtvGjV9GkU_TlhyDK7ViIN1Uz26

Thanks for looking. If you have any comments, please don't hesitate. I'm still working on my photographic skills, so feel free to advise on that as well.

Edited by markmcguire25
realign
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3