Busy 1/35 2019 for HobbyBoss Too

Kingsman

This is HobbyBoss' new list for 2019 in 1/35.

Type 63-2 APC

Spz Puma

Leopard 1A5

T30 Heavy Tank

T34 Heavy Tank

Tiger II Feb 45 production

M706E2 APC

Pukguksong-2 IRBM

12.8cm FlaK 40

KrAZ6322 Truck

Marder IIIM (ex Tristar)

Flakpanzer 1A (ex Tristar)

MBV-2 railcar with F-34 guns

VK601 tracks

M2A2 Big Foot tracks

• Like 2

Or never to see the light of day, like the Bronco Suzuki Grizzly quad and Logik trailer from several years ago.  At least the Meng Husky has appeared, although it still only seems to be available directly from the Far East.

I know that Supacat collaborated with Accurate Armour on their kits, and indeed use them as their own publicity models.  Not sure they collaborated with Airfix as the latter didn't make a very good job of their 1/48 offerings.  But I can't imagine that Supacat would turn down an opportunity to collaborate with someone on a decent mass-market kit.  However, since the Accurate Armour kits were mastered the British design owners of the Supacat HMT family suspension, High Mobility Technology, have been bought by Lockheed Martin - although Supacat remains independent.  So there may be a licensing or licence fee issue.

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

However, since the Accurate Armour kits were mastered the British design owners of the Supacat HMT family suspension, High Mobility Technology, have been bought by Lockheed Martin - although Supacat remains independent.  So there may be a licensing or licence fee issue.

Rightly or wrongly, since when have licence agreements got in the way of certain model companies bringing a product to the market place, they simply release it without mentioning the Manufacturers name or a trade marked name. 

For instance  how many jeep kits have been released simply by calling it a "US 1/4 ton 4x4 utility vehicle" or "SAS Commando Car" etc. they seem to get away with it, even though we all know it's a jeep.

Which is fine if you have access to adequate data independently of the design or trademark owner.  But if you want to deal directly with the design or trademark owner, for example to get all of the hidden detail like the chassis right, it is bound to come up. 

Coyote are unique to the British army, although some other countries like Denmark and Australia have different HMT600 versions (Oz) or the HMT 400 with the Extenda 6x6 conversion kit (Denmark).  Jackal is also a UK-specific HMT400 variant, although broadly similar to others.  So getting hold of independent data isn't exactly straightforward.

Jackals 1 and 2 are of course different and both are different from the original Special Forces Minacity vehicle from which they were derived.  There is an SF Coyote derivative too: can't recall its name.

Maybe I'm just too cynical for my own good, but with the AA kits already out there, it's not beyond the realms of fantasy to imagine somebody getting hold of one and reverse engineering it into an injection moulded form, it's happened before. 

Of course I may be casting unfounded aspersions, and all is above board and HobbyBoss were just well premature with the timing of their advance announcement.

• 2 weeks later...

On closer inspection, nothing listed as new for 2019 in 1/48.  This is the listed range, below. 

But they appear to have pulled a rabbit from the hat in 1/35 by announcing something not in the catalogue within a couple of weeks of announcing the catalogue!  On the other hand, the catalogue doesn't show other 1/35 things they said they would be doing.  So I'm not sure just how trustworthy the catalogue is.

fVtrlVU.jpg