Ferrari F189 F1 Nigel Mansell

Redstaff

Been a lucky boy this Christmas and ended up with a few Tamiya 1/20 F1 kits :) 

Haven't built an F1 car for years, so I thought I'd start with the oldest and hopefully easiest (plus I've got red paint ;)) Nigel Mansells Ferrari F189

Typical Tamiya quality, but loads of pre painting. Got engine assembled tonight with just a bit of paint touching up to do tomorrow to get rid of gluey finger marks 🙄

20181230_220752_resized

20181230_220400_resized20181230_220433_001_resized

• Like 3

This one takes me back - it was one I built back in my mid-teens when it was a new kit. Needless to say mine is nowhere near the standard that you are demonstrating just from that engine and suspension. I'm looking forward to seeing this done well.

• Thanks 1

Cheers Spiny :) 

I must admit, since coming back to the hobby a couple of years ago, I take my time a bit more

When I was a teenager I would have built it in a day and painted it all the next day as it had to be done 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Redstaff said:

When I was a teenager I would have built it in a day and painted it all the next day as it had to be done 

I obviously was slow even back then - if memory serves me right it took about 3 days, although one would have been for the brush-painted body to dry. But I know exactly what you mean about models "having to be done" back then - having to give up the kitchen table for meal times was another incentive too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

if memory serves me right it took about 3 days

Thinking about it, that's probably right

1st day to glue

2nd day to paint

3rd day to put decals on

• Haha 1

Had to get up early today to take daughter to work, so had a bit of time before I get to go to work myself.

Got a little bit more done on the car, 

Forgot how much pre painting there is before a couple of minutes assembly 

20190104_102224_resized20190104_102249_resized20190104_102234_resized

• Like 3

• Redstaff changed the title to Ferrari F189 F1 Nigel Mansell

Amazing isn't it - in our younger days probably 70%+ of time was spent getting the parts off the sprues and putting them together. As you say though, now it seems as though 90% or so of the time is spent painting. I have to say though that the painting is looking great so far on this one.

Cheers Spiny

There is a lot of painting, looks hell of a lot better close up without my glasses on rather than being able to zoom in on the computer 😂 😂

but thanks for the compliment :) 

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Working lates this week so managed to get some more assembly work done.

Also managed to get the body into gloss yesterday, not a bad finish, another couple of days to harden and I will try to polish the blemishes out

Not going to go mad detailing as I intend to build it with our Nigel in the seat :) 

20190115_104123_resized

20190115_104141_001_resized20190115_104327_001_resized

• Like 1