1/350 HMS Exeter (1939) - York class cruiser

5 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Do not worry about us Jamie more urgent things to attend to come first.

Hope all the family are OK

Keith

Everyone is fine thanks Keith. It's just me with a few very minor burns. We got everyone out. It was our 6 year old who smelled smoke and told us. Good girl she is...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Everyone is fine thanks Keith. It's just me with a few very minor burns. We got everyone out. It was our 6 year old who smelled smoke and told us. Good girl she is...

Thank goodness she did, glad you are all safe and hope the damage isn't too bad

Cheers

Dennis

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Good Lord Jamie!  Sorry to hear this and pleased you are all OK.

It sounds pretty traumatic.

Kudos to your daughter

Best Regards

Rob

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

After returning to day-job-work today, I have tonight got to the stage I thought I'd be at around lunchtime on Friday; ready to paint some Admiralty Pattern 507C Light Grey on various bits and bobs.

resized_910f70aa-5edd-4803-980a-c10cf02f

Funny coloured thinners your using their Jamie  :hmmm:

beefy

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

My thoughts exactly, those cubes don't look very nice, what ever they are.

Stuart

They are whisky stones. They go in the freezer and you use them to gently chill your whisky without polluting it with icecubes which melt and ruin the whisky!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

They are whisky stones. They go in the freezer and you use them to gently chill your whisky without polluting it with icecubes which melt and ruin the whisky!

Never heard of them but their you go. I hope is 'real' whisky and not that fake stuff that seems to be taking over...

Stuart

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Never heard of them but their you go. I hope is 'real' whisky and not that fake stuff that seems to be taking over...

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

I like to keep a small selection. I'm a bit limited on rum presently though being restricted to the naff ones I never touch, and too skint to buy replacements for the time being. Sigh...

Oh, there's a Japanese whisky on the shelf above too I forgot about. That's quite good.

resized_b808eaed-69d0-4349-9fc3-c60f19c5

• Like 5

Today I've been working from home whilst waiting in for the loss adjustor so during lunchtime I sprayed these bits in the corrected Colourcoats NARN22 507C. In addition, I penciled in the corticene tie-down strips on the bridge and noticed there were 2 access ways to the bridge with inclined ladders which Trumpeter missed so I added those.

resized_a076f20e-33b7-4d33-bfcc-6b157a10

resized_b6ed10df-e378-4ac0-9ea5-60bc278f

resized_3fbf0f7f-c0dd-4249-9c49-94de4ff2

This could be a personal record for time taken to get the first parts glued together on a ship, but I am quite pleased with the results thus far.

• Like 15

34 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Looking great Jamie but can you explain what...

...are? :shrug:

Stuart

Sure!

The corticene is a brown linoleum stuff. It was very widespread pre-war as it helped stop people slipping and falling, and also added a certain softness to the floor to improve comfort and crew fatigue/noise from clanky footsteps etc. Once the war started and ships started getting hit it was realised that the stuff burned so it was stripped out again.

Anyway, the stuff came in rolls just like household linoleum does today, and on the ships it was secured by metal baton strips at the edges of each section.

If you get good B&W photographs and you can see thin metal strips round the edges and around the middle, it's a very good indication that the deck is covered in linoleum rather than non-slip paint and vice versa.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got my Exeter between Christmas and new year and have been an avid follower of this thread ever since. I have just (yesterday) received my replacement main armament set from Shapeways and, having already de-waxed them and applied a light coat of Tamiya primer, I cannot sing their praises too highly. The surface detail is superb and vastly superior to those supplied with the kit. Unfortunately, I had already painted my bridge deck in AP507A (colourcoats of course) since this was indicated by Trumpeter's colour guide and I will now have to re-paint it Corticene which leads me to ask , would the deck of the after steering position (Part B15) similarly be Corticene  or would this be AP507A as shown by the colour guide?

Geoff Bizley