Jump to content

1/350 HMS Exeter (1939) - York class cruiser


Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm going to use porridge oats for the next one and see how that goes. No, seriously! 

 

Well that's certainly got my attention :lol:

 

Cheers,

 

Stew

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:
11 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I'm going to use porridge oats for the next one and see how that goes. No, seriously! 

 

Well that's certainly got my attention :lol:

Mixed with some Irn-bru :rofl:.

Seriously though, their is nothing wrong with your sea bases but if oats offers more scope, carry on sir and I'm sure it'll come out geat.

 

Stuart

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I hear, the rolled oats can be used in place of tissue paper and can contribute to a more regular-ish surface pattern to the water. Milled oats won't work - that would just be Ready Brek and nobody wants that. I shall make a small test piece I think and see how it goes. :)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

That is shaping up beautifully Jamie. Rolled oats for water effect, this I must see. :) I'm also curious as to what that long tubularish shape is behind Exeter in your last photo, sorry if I've not been paying attention but its got me beat, it looks sort of subbish but there I'm into the unknown. :unsure:

Steve.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/07/2019 at 12:26, stevehnz said:

That is shaping up beautifully Jamie. Rolled oats for water effect, this I must see. :) I'm also curious as to what that long tubularish shape is behind Exeter in your last photo, sorry if I've not been paying attention but its got me beat, it looks sort of subbish but there I'm into the unknown. :unsure:

Steve.

Yes, I am also very much curious. The Exeter is 50cm long in 1/350 so this tubular subject would be about 1.2 meter... A huge scale kit, or a real sub for chipmonks?

 

:-)

 

Tamas

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

A brass mast set is the one thing I've been waiting for to complete my model. I've tried using the supplied plastic ones but they are way too fragile and unstable, they won't stay upright while they glue dries and tend to break as soon as you look at them so, your post was the best news I've had for some time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Geoff Bizley said:

A brass mast set is the one thing I've been waiting for to complete my model. I've tried using the supplied plastic ones but they are way too fragile and unstable, they won't stay upright while they glue dries and tend to break as soon as you look at them so, your post was the best news I've had for some time.

 

Here's a taster then :)

 

1ab5acbe-6efb-4520-ba15-a90354c0cf39.jpe

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive my lack of familiarity with Royal Navy nomenclature, but it appears that Infini doesn't provide any extra detail for the open section (closed off on the Trumpeter kit) of the structure immediately forward of the main gun director on the bridge / compass platform. I have a couple of overhead shots (linked below) but no close ups. Does any one know of a close up or drawing that labels what the configuration of this space is?

 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:HMS_Exeter_(68)#/media/File:Overhead_view_of_HMS_Exeter_(68)_in_the_Panama_Canal_Zone_in_the_1930s.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Exeter_(68)#/media/File:HMS_Exeter_(68)_at_anchor_in_Balboa_harbor_on_24_April_1934.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The release date is supposed to be the middle of September...

 

d181c8f3-4899-4a03-b8eb-6ab86b471c91.jpe

That looks rather splendid Jamie!

 

Is that a wooden overlay deck, surely not brass?

 

Terry

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tracy White said:

Forgive my lack of familiarity with Royal Navy nomenclature, but it appears that Infini doesn't provide any extra detail for the open section (closed off on the Trumpeter kit) of the structure immediately forward of the main gun director on the bridge / compass platform. I have a couple of overhead shots (linked below) but no close ups. Does any one know of a close up or drawing that labels what the configuration of this space is?

 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:HMS_Exeter_(68)#/media/File:Overhead_view_of_HMS_Exeter_(68)_in_the_Panama_Canal_Zone_in_the_1930s.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Exeter_(68)#/media/File:HMS_Exeter_(68)_at_anchor_in_Balboa_harbor_on_24_April_1934.jpg

@Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies has done a lot more research on Exeter than me, but (assuming I’m looking at the right area) I’d say it looks like the Gun Direction Platform.  At least, that’s what the analogous area of later RN warships was called.  Over to you, Jamie!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like some sort of tub with torpedo aiming sights or lookout position?

I've the NMM plans for Exeter stored safely. When I get a while (probably tomorrow) I'll unroll them and take a look. They're about 8-9' long (1/98 scale if I remember) so they're a bit cumbersome.

Tom

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 30/08/2019 at 11:18, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

The release date is supposed to be the middle of September...

 

d181c8f3-4899-4a03-b8eb-6ab86b471c91.jpe

Hi Jamie

 

Your Exeters looking fine, looking forward to seeing it finished, any ideas when the Infini detail set will be due/cost ? I have Exeter down as a possible winter project and would be good to pick up the set at telford f they are available by then.

 

Oh and do they plan on doing a set for HMS Cornwall??

 

Gary

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, salmo G said:

Hi Jamie

 

Your Exeters looking fine, looking forward to seeing it finished, any ideas when the Infini detail set will be due/cost ? I have Exeter down as a possible winter project and would be good to pick up the set at telford f they are available by then.

 

Oh and do they plan on doing a set for HMS Cornwall??

 

Gary

 

Hi Gary,

 

We're not trading at Telford this year after all - it turned out we forgot to book it after the fire (previously we have booked in January) but after the grim year this has been in the modelling market we decided not to bother as I'm convinced we'd have made a loss at a show as expensive as Telford this year. It's usually only just worth the effort, but not by much.

 

The Infini Model HMS Exeter set is released though. We haven't yet taken delivery of any in the UK but we have them up and listed. There are various sub-sets for those who maybe don't want the whole thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I have made a start on the Infini Model brass masts for my model.

 

resized_2c833e24-305e-46b0-878c-492534ce

 

There are still ladders, footropes etc to be fitted. The parts count is rather high, however the PE is sturdy and folds nice and predictably, and furthermore the tolerances with the turned brass masts and yard arms is good so it's not too hard to put together.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...