1/350 HMS Exeter (1939) - York class cruiser

VeryFire are supposed to be releasing a set very soon. :)

I can't seem to interest Infini Model in covering Royal Navy subjects. They are very dependent upon the Asian market and unless Japan sunk it, they're not really interested in that part of the world.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I can't seem to interest Infini Model in covering Royal Navy subjects. They are very dependent upon the Asian market and unless Japan sunk it, they're not really interested in that part of the world.

I second that! it annoys me that Tamiya, for instance, only produce a KGV in her very late war configuration when she was in the Pacific and totally ignore her as of May 1941 when she took part in the sinking of the Bismark, probably her most famous action. I believe that the major reason none of them produce a large scale Royal Sovereign class is that they did not play any significant part in the Pacific war. All this makes me more pleased that Trumpeter have issued Exeter in River Plate condition first rather than the Java sea version.  

• Like 1

Pontos do a very comprehensive etch and detail parts ( tripod brass masts , brass barrel and brass deck vents etc sets - )

that can be altered to either be the December 1941 action or the May 1941 Action - for the Tamiya 1/350 Kit for the Prince of Wales

On 2/1/2019 at 8:28 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

I have just received some 3D printed main gun turrets from Shapeways they far outstrip the kit parts for detail and accuracy 

J

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Francis Macnaughton said:

Actually issued as for December 41 - when sunk by the Japanese - without the  UP rocket system and some other minor secondary AA changes which can readily be corrected 

That's exactly what I did using UPS projectors from WEM with scratch built splinter shields. My point was, to illustrate the Pacific bias. I actually quite like doing conversions like this but changing a KGV or Warspite into (for instance) H.M.S revenge would be betond my capabilities.  

Here is my attempt at representing the inclined ladders to access the bridge using spare PE bits from previous models. The close-up reveals some unimpressive moulding on that range finder so I shall clean that up before detailing and painting!

resized_da6aa1f4-f65d-4b7a-9ea2-2777477f

• Like 10

I think even you'd need to lose a bit of weight first for these :D

I have had a crack at giving an impression of the platforms on the funnel too using more spares from past builds. These are admittedly quite inaccurate, but I wanted to represent something rather than nothing which is what the kit provides (besides one big vertical ladder which goes nowhere). I still need to add the steam siren things but will worry about that when the funnel is secure and no longer needs handled.

78441ba0-52f3-405f-b716-eb08564b10f6.jpg

resized_c51766b5-c515-4b66-b65b-193cf60c

• Like 14

Hi Jamie

Looking good so far, the extra work your putting in is paying off, one thing i've noticed looking at the pics I have is that the forward funnel extension seems to be a narrower width than the vertical main part of the funnel, probably too late for you to do anything about it on this build but others may want to be aware of it. If I ever get the kit (and the thought of a veryfire detail set makes it more tempting depending whats included) its probably something I will look to amend.

Keep up the good work!

Gidday, I don't have many pics of Exeter that clearly confirm what Salmo has said above, but I have quite a few that show it is definitely the case with her sister ship HMS York, a ship I am building now. But Exeter's bridge and funnels were a little different to York's. In the photo above it appears to me that if there is a difference in the thickness of the parts of the funnel it is not great, whereas in York it was quite noticeable. It is a superb model Jamie which I have been following with interest, and I am looking forward to seeing it when complete. Regards, Jeff.

got to add that the Model of Exeter is lovely , AND the extra work involved on the Funnels is really great and adds to the detail - stunning work

I also agree that the SHAPEWAYS turrets ( when printed with the very best materials ) really DO add to the Model -

this is my Repulse 15 inch Turrets , that were finished by Steve Bowe for my own Repulse

zEh24Dm.jpg?2

r5kpFLk.jpg

Edited by 73north
  • Like 4

Hi folks,

The 3D printed turrets for this do look nice and indeed I used a lot of Micromaster 3D printed goodies on Imperial but for this build I will probably pass on them. Partly that's in the interest of trying to just do an OOB build (and if I get 3D printed turrets I'll then need to buy brass barrels to go with them) and partly because I've had to change to a "permanent" staff job last month and frankly my pay felt like I'd taken 2 weeks of the month off as a freelancer.

Our house is still precisely nowhere with still not even acceptance of liability from the insurers and as such the couple of thousand pounds emergency payment didn't happen either, but that didn't mitigate the requirement to buy new matresses, bedding, toiletries, clothes etc to live in the mean time. In summary, I am absolutely skint.

• Sad 7

22 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

These are admittedly quite inaccurate, but I wanted to represent something rather than nothing which is what the kit provides (besides one big vertical ladder which goes nowhere).

Looks great, better than a ladder leading to nowhere.

Stuart

• Thanks 1

It's taken much too long, but our house insurance claim has just been accepted and we will soon have our roof boarded over, contents removed, plaster and floors ripped out and drying equipment put in. Woo hoo.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It's taken much too long, but our house insurance claim has just been accepted and we will soon have our roof boarded over, contents removed, plaster and floors ripped out and drying equipment put in. Woo hoo.

I'm very pleased for you. Life can be difficult with something like that keeping you in limbo so to speak.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a small update. I managed to be an illegal immigrant for just under a day this time last week. During a management meeting on the Thursday I let slip that I knew both the development and the client contact named on a communication that an important invitation to tender was coming in to our Stavanger office. There was a pre-tender engagement meeting with this individual scheduled for the Friday so I was asked to fly over. There were no flights on Friday morning so I had to get the last plane over the North Sea the same night. I already had a meeting with another client in Houston arranged for the afternoon and thought it would look back for them to walk in to work in the morning (for them) to find I'd cancelled so I asked my wife to bring my suit, passport and overnight stuff in to work as getting all the way home and back in time would be quite tight. I hadn't slept well the night before and was already tired. When I landed in Stavanger and walked up to the immigration kiosk the usual "Hei"-beep-smile-and-wave-you-on routine was "Hei"-beep-confused-look-and-call-the-Chief-Inspector-over. Somehow, Gill had found and brought me the passport I had lost, reported as such and replaced in 2016. Thus, at 11pm in Stavanger airport I was explaining to Norwegian police why I was travelling on a passport that their system told them was stolen. Norway is a great place though and they knew I actually had a valid passport - it came up on their system at the same time. The chief inspector asked me for my phone number, email address, home address and where I was staying that night and let me go. She kept my "stolen" passport and boarding pass for the return flight and asked me to come back to the police station within Sola airport the next day after my meeting, where I was given a certificate telling me and anyone else interested that I was rejected at the border. The Police both sides of the North Sea were great actually, and whilst I had Gill bring the valid passport to meet me at Aberdeen airport she was assured by the officer who took it that she probably needn't have worried.

Anyway, fiascos like that are why I haven't done much modelling lately.

In addition, there's the fire damage. If anyone is interested we reached an important milestone today. No, nothing has *actually* happened yet, but the cleaning/drying company has visited and reported back to the loss adjuster, and their proposal has been formally accepted. They have been instructed to proceed with gathering up our personal effects, trying to salvage what they can, taking a detailed inventory of the total-losses (probably most of it now since the insurance has farted about for 6 weeks - the guidance is to start within days if you want anything recovered from smoke damage) and storing what can be saved until the house is big enough to receive it back. In addition, my preferred architect, the man who built this place with his own hands almost 30 years ago as his family home for most of that time has written his proposal to act as Principle Designer and project manage the rebuild and that today was formally accepted by the loss adjuster on behalf of the insurance too. There is a mandate I, as the client, have to sign on paper in order for the loss adjuster to pay the invoices he'll be sending her directly, but we are now finally on the rails. Within a few weeks he should have written the scope, had his Quantity Surveyor draft a bill of quantities for the building contractors to bid against and will have had a structural engineer do some member sizing on those big beams which were original but are now charcoal and must be replaced. 

Today I sprayed all the fiddly plastic bits in Colourcoats NARN22 507C Light Grey, having masked over the dark deck grey (NARN23) I had sprayed hitherto but had not deemed worth telling the world about.

resized_01cff6b5-a0eb-4a59-86d4-85469ffc

The big piece of Oroko is being edged on an industrial router by my step-father and the finished top is supposed to be coming back to me measuring 28" by 8". When I have verified that that is indeed what has been done I shall cut a chunk of pink styrofoam and begin the sea base. Nothing fragile is glued on to the hull yet - I want the sea base ready to receive the ship first to avoid any accidents in "robust" handling of the hull.

• Like 9

That is looking rather lovely Jamie B) 

Sounds like quite an interesting day's work you had. Also I'm glad to hear the post-fire recovery is - finally - getting under way. 

Finally:

10 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

had a structural engineer do some member sizing

I LOL'd. I know. I couldn't help it :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Haha 1