1/350 HMS Exeter (1939) - York class cruiser

On 4/13/2019 at 9:34 AM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

For the benefit of my own reputation here, I will state that Jeff's email reached me safe and sound. The offending article is shaped like a boomerang :)

And for the benefit of us all, is it possible to post the picture  here?

Marco

Gidday All, the photo in question was very large so I cropped it, You can make out the bracket/frame mounted on the bulkhead behind "A" turret.

HMS Exeter frame

Below is a photo of HMS Welshman in Malta, with a similar but lighter frame around the bow. As she streamed her paravanes on her way in I assume this is what the frame is for, hence possibly for Exeter also. All this, however, is an educated guess on my part. 

BRITISH CRUISER DELIVERS ANTI AIRCRAFT AMMUNITION TO MALTA. 10 MAY 1942, MALTA. HMS WELSHMAN ARRIVED ON THE MORNING OF 10 MAY, LADEN WITH AMMUNITION FOR THE ISLAND'S ANTI AIRCRAFT GUNS. NAVAL RATINGS AND TROOPS AT ONCE GOT TO WORK UNLOADING AND DESPITE TH

I hope this helps. 

As a separate topic, HMS Welshman is wearing her disguise as a Vichy-French destroyer, a disguise she wore on her first two blockade runs to Malta, in May and June 1942.

I shouldn't digress any further. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Oops, sorry Jamie, I sent the above post before seeing your response. I apologize if I overstepped the line. After all, it's your thread, not mine. Regards, Jeff.

Not a bit of it Jeff - you saved me a job! 😂

• Like 1

Hi folks,

Tonight I did a tiny little bit on this model. Mostly painting bits of PE I will need to fit in order to move forward, so nothing much to look at. I did get the little cradles folded up for the catapults though, and have placed the first Walrus in. The Walrus still needs its propeller, machine guns and the undercarriage, tailplane struts, (and maybe rigging wires?). Those parts are amongst those painted and drying, but I wanted to check how it fit in the cradle first before adding the wheels because they didn't have a huge amount of clearance in real life and some out-of-scale proportions somewhere could have caused a messy clash. If the second Walrus does get added, it will need its wings folded which doesn't lend itself to how I made the cabane struts this time around. Thinking about it, I've missed the inboard interplane struts too. Hmm...

resized_ab73a700-404a-49af-a845-6a4d0e49

Supermarine_Walrus_SLV_AllanGreen.jpg

• Like 16

On 4/22/2019 at 8:22 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

It looks rough under flash

Don't we all? 😄

Now I see where that ghost Walrus materialized Jamie. That looks excellent in situ on the catapult.

Addenda: reading back through this thread just now is mightily impressive - including the sea effects. Lovely to see it drawing together over time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to add something to the 8in turrets using spare PE. Next I have to repaint these in 507C, then cut masks for the EX lettering to go on top (I think black is more likely than Profile Morskie's / Trumpeter's red decals).

resized_117626d6-2408-45a8-a926-95e8c326

• Like 13

Yup!  I think that is the way to go with the turrets!  I ‘ll keep this thread at hand when I start my Exeter (currently work and kids about to graduate and leave to college keep me more than busy!)

marco 

• 1 month later...

There has been a bit of a gap, but the big piece of hardwood I wanted to use for the base delaminated at its old glue join when being power planed. It was completed separated taking care to avoid splitting or pulling any big splinters out, and I reglued it with aviation laminating epoxy resin and clamped it all up good and proper. It has now been finished to a standard I'm happy with.

This has allowed me to wet-sand down the edges of my styrofoam sea base to suit, and once the sanding water has dried from the styrofoam the edges will be painted and the foam glued to the timber. The foam has bowed slightly, but the adhesive holding it to the timber shall eliminate that.

resized_c9eaab56-0ac3-4bb9-bd29-9f9373c1

The reason I paused the model build is because it's heading towards the more fragile details and I want it securely mounted so that it doesn't need constant handling. Progress shall resume shortly.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I'm still awestruck by your water bases Jamie B) Pure class

Cheers,

Stew

It's just tissue paper mate! I'm going to use porridge oats for the next one and see how that goes. No, seriously! 

• Like 1