1/350 HMS Exeter (1939) - York class cruiser

Just recived my Exeter today, plenty of scope for the etch aftermarket boys.  i think I will wait and see what comes out, especialy as I have 4 other builds on the go at the moment lol

ther is a very nice 3 D printed replacment turret set on Shapeways to replace the very featurless kit turrets

Jase

It's still tedious I can confirm, but I have painted the other half of the deck now. It hasn't yet had the acrylic gloss and oil wash. Whilst the acrylic gloss didn't protect the enamel from the oil wash, it did prevent the wash from staining matt paint and gave a nice sheen which implies less surface relief than matt paint gives which I think is a better scale effect. I want both to look the same so I will follow the same process again...

resized_bcff913c-90d8-451b-9505-fa78d8e9

Amusingly, and @bootneck might spot anyway, Trumpeter has done a Trumpeter and the moulded deck planking pattern is different here.

I also made a floor and two bulkheads to go inside the superstructure. There was not clear line of sight through the original so this blocks that off.

resized_274493c9-309b-4d64-a90f-f95d35bf

• Like 8

On 1/1/2019 at 3:15 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Here's how that deck malarkey turned out. It turns out that W&N acrylic gloss clear is no barrier at all to enamel thinners so I managed to damage the surface just ahead of the turret barbette. That's getting remedial work now.

resized_66d4164f-03de-4fde-9024-ad26a8f2

resized_53a8d608-cc0c-4b36-bdbb-7e7dbfd7

resized_ab809e9d-7d20-47c8-85bb-9cc71681

I had intended to ask if the BM populace considers this deck painting to be ok or if it needs redone, but these images are not scaling well at all and the automatic resizing keeps applying its own patterns to the deck that are not present in real life. I guess I'll just need to go with my own opinion on the matter here.

I have turned my attention to the hull for now. This has four large gates on the keel but they are easy enough to remove with a flat chisel. On mine a dab of filler is needed on each as some material has come away when the moulding has been broken off whatever runner/sprue arrangement the injection moulders used. There are a couple of "bridges" on each side to aid moulding the surrounding structure around the midships torpedo tube openings. This isn't beyond the realms of reasonable modelling skills but I can foresee heavy-handed modellers breaking the bits they're supposed to keep.

resized_3eab4502-af85-4eb0-a899-957b7ec5

Mine was already broken in the box on one side - no big deal.

resized_4713f4e7-80ee-4bc5-98f2-8a5ce688

I removed the surplus plastic using a good sharp pair of nippers that every modeller ought to have...

I need to retract my earlier statement about the deck being a bit springy. On closer inspection there was a very easy answer:

resized_8a457f46-5970-4690-8dbc-018126d3

resized_554c496c-a764-4730-8195-96d4fc76

There are a few of these on the undersides of both deck sections and they are easily removed with a chisel blade. Once done, the deck fits very well as shown here dry fitted:

resized_46c04021-8c00-4354-8acd-ad3a7e88

Deck looks great Jamie. Following the WIP, looks like a nice kit.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Amusingly, and @bootneck might spot anyway, Trumpeter has done a Trumpeter and the moulded deck planking pattern is different here.

That is weird, it does look as if Trumpeter has done the planking correctly on the forward deck, so why not the aft? :hmmm:

The staining effect looks really good and appears to show the caulking.  Very impressive.

Mike

51 minutes ago, bootneck said:

That is weird, it does look as if Trumpeter has done the planking correctly on the forward deck, so why not the aft? :hmmm:

The staining effect looks really good and appears to show the caulking.  Very impressive.

Mike

Likely some CAD slip in transposing a pre-set template of planking lines or somt. Either that or Trumpeter's A-team single person did the fore deck and asked a junior to copy it so he could move on. Anyway - I doubt we'll be seeing a corrected piece any time soon!

It could be changed with filling and scribing but that's a job for someone else :D

• Like 2

Now then. I am very keen not to come off the rails and end up stalling looking for answers to questions that cannot be answered, however...

Trumpeter says the raised deck upon which B-turret sits is beige. No planking is depicted. To my knowledge there was no beige deck coating, so either this area should be planked, or painted dark grey, or covered with linoleum (a reasonable answer) or covered with trowelled-on latex non-slip compound (of which Semtex was one of three similar brands of civvie supplied stuff - one was green of unknown characteristics, one was brown of unknown characteristics, and one was "the colour of dry asphalt" according to a contemporary written description). I will make modest efforts to get this correct.

resized_6197b7e4-0fe7-4156-af97-83e5a909

• Like 5

Now I know for sure. Unfortunately as a modelling exercise it's the worst possible outcome as I now need to render planking on an unplanked piece which looks similar to the rest of the ship. I am thinking a paper template followed by a think plasticard overlay may be the way to go as I can scribe the planking on to that without the barbette and other protrusions obstructing scribing tools and straight edges. Also, if I make a mess of it I can simply start over. So much for an OOB build :whistle:

I have read in a few places now that this kit might be Trumpeter's best yet. That may be true, but that's an unreasonably positive spin on being the least bad.

Planking and boat cradles between davits either side of bridge eliminated:

resized_4f3b225d-6117-4123-b283-5a4caab3

as per the image above which I have rehosted for ease (but it won't zoom in like the original which seems to only work if copied and pasted into browser:
resized_6154a051-c602-4ceb-9a6f-55228ecf

• Like 4

Last one for tonight. To many this will be sucking eggs, but here's how I'm planning to plank that gun deck with an escape strategy incase I screw it up. It's the thinnest plasticard I have. I think I can scribe it still, and it makes as small a difference to deck height as is possible. It's a compromise as model making always is. I am 2 whole days in to this now and I'm still wasting time on decks. I'm not single/retired enough for this. The moral of the story? Just wait til aftermarket wooden decks are out and use them...

A paper rubbing of the approximate shape:

resized_32d94c66-d606-42b8-af96-e2557f31

Cut with scissors and scalpel until it fits:

resized_dc1ed963-a2c1-43b4-8b44-7870686c

I then turned it upside down and glued what would be the upper face to the plasticard using PVA. (my thinking being that if for any reason I couldn't separate them later then the side I need is unblemished)

I started with the barbette, first measuring and cutting the circle, then the slots for the gusset plates:

resized_bd3686bd-09ac-49bb-a8ac-8e34ffde

I could then confirm I had the thing aligned and cut out a rough oversized outline with scissors. I cut the remaining protrusions (and removed one, replacing it with a relocated manway for a ladder from below) then trimmed the outline to suit the kit part:

resized_711e7a74-cc0d-4e72-9f3c-4cb514b3

resized_1db3fc4c-24a2-4906-87d7-e1d18688

I now have something to begin the mind-numbing chore that is plank scribing. 🙄

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Now then. I am very keen not to come off the rails and end up stalling looking for answers to questions that cannot be answered, however...

Trumpeter says the raised deck upon which B-turret sits is beige. No planking is depicted. To my knowledge there was no beige deck coating, so either this area should be planked, or painted dark grey, or covered with linoleum (a reasonable answer) or covered with trowelled-on latex non-slip compound (of which Semtex was one of three similar brands of civvie supplied stuff - one was green of unknown characteristics, one was brown of unknown characteristics, and one was "the colour of dry asphalt" according to a contemporary written description). I will make modest efforts to get this correct.

resized_6197b7e4-0fe7-4156-af97-83e5a909

Hi Jamie

Looking good like your rectification work so far.

Looks like trumpy fluffed again the superstructure deck under B turret is definatly planked, the photos taken after the battle of River plate show this clearly........

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Trumpeter says the raised deck upon which B-turret sits is beige. No planking is depicted.

I suspect Trumpeter got that detail from this image in the Profile Morskie book.  I think they have mistaken the awning around that deck, as seen in the overhead image in #36, as a solid unplanked surface.

profile_morskie_exeter.jpg

• Like 4

I think you're right there - there are numerous images showing awnings erected around there. This is where a bit of geekery does help, I think. One should question what coating / paint system they think they are seeing. Cream coloured paint for a deck doesn't sound all that sensible when the implications of such a conclusion are stated as plainly as that.

Here's the results of today's efforts. My scribing is, as always, a bit shonky. I could have tried again but I have no reason to believe a second, third of twentieth attempt would be any better so I just carried on:

resized_7e70b578-ce20-401b-9a0c-3711caeb

resized_92376927-c397-4f1b-adb6-f54d8c48

Hopefully it's a bit less noticeable when it's all built and the quality of the planking scribing isn't the main focus 😕

resized_dd04833a-e6ff-465b-bda1-bac6ed7d

• Like 15

1 minute ago, Silver Fox said:

I'd be proud of that mate.

Thank you Andy (it was Andy, wasn't it? I remember our brief chat at Telford but I'm awfully good at filling in details with my imagination when I have infact forgotten them!)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Yes, I am surprised you remembered, you were very busy and had been for two days.

Actually you have inspired me to look at HMS Exeter in 1/700 scale, though my head is telling me I'd only mess it up.

If we listened to head we'd never take up the hobby of devaluing model kits good man! :D

• Haha 2

Have you considered taking up producing your own decks Jamie?  That looks really good. :clap2:  Scribing lines can always cause bowing of the sheet, however a few scribes on the other side would bring that back to the flat again.

cheers

Mike

• Thanks 1