1/72 Airfix Blenheim kits

72modeler

I thought you all might be better served posting this as a new topic and not cluttering up the original discussion on Finnish Blenheim Colors. I went to Hyperscale and after a lot of searching, found modeler Simon Wolf's article on how he corrected the nacelles on the new-tool 1/72 Airfix Blenheim. It didn't seem to open from the original review/article I provided the link for. I hope those of you contemplating correcting the Airfix kit will find this useful. There is also an article on the HS website that shows a build of the Airfix kit as a Bolinbroke target tug in yellow overall with black stripes on the undersides that looked very nice- that's one way to avoid making all those corrections!

Mike

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/airfix-blenheim-iv-reshaping-the-nacelles-t477353.html

1 hour ago, 72modeler said:

I thought you all might be better served posting this as a new topic and not cluttering up the original discussion on Finnish Blenheim Colors. I went to Hyperscale and after a lot of searching, found modeler Simon Wolf's article on how he corrected the nacelles on the new-tool 1/72 Airfix Blenheim. It didn't seem to open from the original review/article I provided the link for. I hope those of you contemplating correcting the Airfix kit will find this useful. There is also an article on the HS website that shows a build of the Airfix kit as a Bolinbroke target tug in yellow overall with black stripes on the undersides that looked very nice- that's one way to avoid making all those corrections!

Mike

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/airfix-blenheim-iv-reshaping-the-nacelles-t477353.html

Here is some more! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/airfix-blenheim-iv-nacelle-mods-completed-t477388.html

Chris,

Those are awesome Bolinbroke photos- thanks for sharing them!. I think what Simon Wolf did on his build made the nacelles look a lot better, but I think I would have worked on the vertical surfaces too, as they look too bulbous to me compared to the photos of the genuine Mk IV preserved in Finland. When I get a chance, I will yank all my old Blenheim kits to check the nacelle fairings- to me it seems like that would be a lot faster and easier, especially trying to get two identical nacelles by just sanding and scraping. 'Bout time for Special Hobby to consider a new-tool, especially considering all of the RAF/Finnish types they have already released.

Mike 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Chris,

Those are awesome Bolinbroke photos- thanks for sharing them!. I think what Simon Wolf did on his build made the nacelles look a lot better, but I think I would have worked on the vertical surfaces too, as they look too bulbous to me compared to the photos of the genuine Mk IV preserved in Finland. When I get a chance, I will yank all my old Blenheim kits to check the nacelle fairings- to me it seems like that would be a lot faster and easier, especially trying to get two identical nacelles by just sanding and scraping. 'Bout time for Special Hobby to consider a new-tool, especially considering all of the RAF/Finnish types they have already released.

Mike 

Be real nice if the aftermarket folks jump in with a nice set of replacement upper nacelles.

Chris

• Like 1

Hello!

In my opinion Airfix 1/72 Blenheim is correct replica for Duxford Blenheim/Bolingbroke as it is. I think it has one off nacelles. See below:

AIRWORTHINESS APPROVAL NOTE NO: 21124 Issue 2 AIRCRAFT TYPE: Bolingbroke Mk.IV T G-BPIV
( https://cwsprduksumbraco.blob.core.windows.net/aan/21124020000.pdf )

"Dunlop heavy duty 36 x 1200 main wheel tyres are fitted."

"BB/Mod/01      Replacement of original Dunlop main wheel tyres with
                         Dunlop 36 x 1200 Shorts 360 tyres following
                         investigation and recommendation by Dunlop Ltd."

I believe Duxford "Blenheim" nacelle is purpose made to fit the new tyres into it and trying not to look like Bolingbroke nacelles, If someone knows better, please correct me.

Cheers,

Kari

Edited by Kari Lumppio
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, leyreynolds said:

I believe that the kit nacelles are not quite bulbous enough for a Bolingbroke. Also the port and starboard nacelles are not identical - if memory serves (I'm away from my references for the hol's here in Oz) the former included a dinghy compartment.

I think you are right- if memory serves, the Bolinbroke upper nacelle fairings were bulged to accommodate larger oil tanks, and the RH fairing had a blister on top to cover the dinghy. Airfix made a very accurate replica of the composite airframe that is on display but as has been pointed out, it's not accurate for either a Bolinbroke or a Blenheim...that being said, it sure is a beautiful flying replica!

Mike

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leyreynolds said:

OK starboard nacelle for dinghy fairing - I stand corrected.

Ley

Here is a link to preserved Bolinbroke photos; on the Pima Air Museum example, you can clearly see the blister fairing on the RH upper nacelle that covered the dinghy.

Mike

http://447.insidetrackmagazine.com/wwii-aircraft/wwii-british-planes/bristol-blemheim/

Mike & Elgar,

Thanks for the Hyperscale links. I a bit hard to make out exactly how much (and where) of the nacelle plastic was removed.

One thing I found frustrating is that a half dozen (or more) individuals quoted the entire post, with ALL the photos, to add just a few words of praise. :wall:

I still have to decide how much I want to modify my Airfix Blenheim kit.

Larry

Larry,

I'm having the same issue- try to sand down the bulged fairings as much as possible,  remove the upper fairings and see which fairings from other kits are closest to the real thing, make a master and vacform new upper fairings, or give up and just build the darned thing as a Bolinbroke of some sort and make the minor additions necessary to do a true Boly? Decisions, decisions! Curse you, Airfix; you would think an English company would not have made gross mistakes like this on what is a very, very nice new-tool kit otherwise! (Hey, Alley Cat- wanna make a lot of money?)

Mike

• Like 2