Sanger 1/48 Short Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC

Many congratulations on completing this behemoth, in both size and build complexity Neil, she truly does look every inch a Stirling in all her beautiful ugliness! I saw her at Telford on her "temporary legs" but your struggles with that incredible undercarriage (always going to be a challenge for any Stirling of any scale) and the elegant solution epitomises the "press on regardless" attitude necessary for vac building. The paint finish is of course well up to your usual high standard, but please don't touch the engine staining, it looks very realistic to my eye! Bravo, brilliant build.

Max 

• Like 1

My goodness, that is just an astonishing build!

It must be a large beast in 1/48th!

The skill and persistence on show here is utterly amazing.

It deserves every award that is coming to it.

:clap::worthy:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Fantastic build Woody :clap:

This aircraft for me has a personnel significance, I once knew a man who flew these and never past up an opportunity to tell his story I hope you don't mind.  I posted the following in Selliecool's excellent Sterling D- D Double build of last Feb, this was my post My once good friend    I didn't mention in the previous post that he once showed me his log book.  In it amongst many unbelievable sorties, were two extremely interesting entries, both a few weeks apart stated he'd landed a Sterling in a Dutch field at night dropping off SOE/equipment!  I sadly lost contact with Jim (due to work/moving away) for the last few years of his life, I can only hope all his memorabilia, was kept by his at the time I knew him estranged family.  

this is a truly amazing build, very nice painting and crisp canopy frames ! The exhaust stains on the wings are fantastic, and the story behind it is very moving, congratulations !!!

Christian.

• 1 year later...
On 3/18/2019 at 9:35 AM, Kev The Modeller said:

Fantastic build Woody :clap:

This aircraft for me has a personnel significance, I once knew a man who flew these and never past up an opportunity to tell his story I hope you don't mind.  I posted the following in Selliecool's excellent Sterling D- D Double build of last Feb, this was my post My once good friend    I didn't mention in the previous post that he once showed me his log book.  In it amongst many unbelievable sorties, were two extremely interesting entries, both a few weeks apart stated he'd landed a Sterling in a Dutch field at night dropping off SOE/equipment!  I sadly lost contact with Jim (due to work/moving away) for the last few years of his life, I can only hope all his memorabilia, was kept by his at the time I knew him estranged family.  

Hi Kev,

Sorry, I've only just seen your post, sorry about the delayed response...1 year too late!

Can you imagine landing a Stirling in a field that you've never seen before in the dark? Amazing skill and heroism.

Cheers

Neil

After what you've done with this build, you've definitely made a great name for yourself among modelers. Congratulations and congratulations again!

• Like 1