Sanger 1/48 Short Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC

That's beautiful work - the injection-moulded Lancaster was a struggle; to take on a vacform of this size and produce such a marvellous outcome is a tremendous effort!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Oh WOW,...... You`ve just won the Internet with that one mate,........ so glad to see it finished at last and well worth the wait it was too,........ what a corker!!! That is one to be very proud of indeed,....... and a great end to the year.

Now have a nice sit down and pick something a bit more shake and bake for your next choice,....... 1/72nd is going to feel very small after this giant!!!

Happy New Year Neil and all the best for 2019 mate,

Cheers

Tony

Thanks mate. Next year is very much more shame and bake and probably a bit more variety too. You’re not kidding about 1/72 feeling small, I took the whole of Telford for my brain to accept the 1/72 Lancaster’s on display weren’t 1/100 or something similar! 

Hapoy new new year to you mate, look forwards to catching up again :)

14 hours ago, bristol boy said:

Simply stunning, having built Sanger vacs in 1/72 I have an idea of the amount of work and skill needed to achieve a model of that standard. Your efforts to add the level of detail needed at 1/48 is humbling, you should be very proud and insufferably  smug! The only problem is where do you go next?

Thanks mate, I know you’re a glutton for punishment too. Where next? Something simple for a while I think!

13 hours ago, Redstaff said:

I must admit, I've always loved the lines of the Stirling and you've done it proud :)

Must be a huge kit though 

Ian

Hi ian,

yes, it’s very imposing due to its height. Can’t wait to see @tomprobert finish his at 1/32....go on Tom, you must be getting the itch again!,,

13 hours ago, cngaero said:

That is absolutely stunning Neil. 

Your work inside the cockpit is truly exceptional and highlighted by your skillful work on the canopy glazing. 

As a piece of art, it is a really fine tribute not only to Ron Middleton VC and his crew, but also to all the other crews who flew the aircraft. 

I'm so pleased that managed to get it finished today, as that means that I honestly say that for me, this has been the model of the year on this site. There have been some wonderful contenders, but considering your starting point and the amount of scratch built detail you've Incorporated, it stands head and shoulders above everything else. 

It's been an absolute pleasure to follow your work and most importantly to learn from it. 

Best wishes for the New Year and I can't wait to see what your next build will be. 

Thanks Chris, that’s a great compliment. There’s still some way to go when you look at the masterpieces from people like Peter from Airscale, But I’ll be staying more as a kit assembler as the fun is getting finished builds across the line and to try and keep some balance in the stash 😂

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Congratulations Neil, absolutely superb 

:partytime:

I dread to think how many hours you have put into this build, but it has been worth everyone of them

cheers Pat

Cheers Pat, I’d hate to count the hours but at least there’s something to show for my existence this year ha ha!

3 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Hi Neil

Knowing what you started with as a basis (a Sanger kit!!), you've made a wonderful job of it and it definitely looks like a Stirling. Glad that you were able to make sense of some of my rambling advice; I'm just glad to be able to impart some of my otherwise useless knowledge built up over the years LOL.

Hope to see you and the Bomber Command guys at Alconbury in 2019 to let you see how the flightdeck is progressing

cheers

John

Thanks John,

yes it it would be good or us to get over again this year, I love the 3d drawings that you guys have done but be good to see the real  bits progressing more

15 hours ago, general melchett said:

Great stuff mate, fantastic result and a fitting tribute. I know how glad you are to clear it off the bench but all the effort was well worth it.......I can see the SIG table ending up loaded down with 1/48th monsters at this rate. 

Now be a good chap and get that Halibag sorted out...:tomato:

Ha ha, cheers.

i expect the Halifax to be done in 2019, Colin has already done a lot of the groundwork, the only painful bits may be the clear parts. In the mean time, a few simple builds are on the cards....just not sure what!

cheers

neil

• Like 2

Incredible Neil, an amazing job that thoroughly deserves all the praise being heaped on it here.  The WIP has provided plenty on enjoyment and inspiration too.

Happy 2019 to everyone!

John

• Like 1

Stunning, beautiful, magnificent!  There are simply not enough adjectives to describe your build. Having struggled recently to complete the mainstream Italeri injected model, and not having it come out nearly as nice as your vacuform one, I can only be in awe of your modeling skills.  And knowing how large the 72nd kit is, the 48th scale must be simply enormous.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mark Joyce said:

Stunning, beautiful, magnificent!  There are simply not enough adjectives to describe your build. Having struggled recently to complete the mainstream Italeri injected model, and not having it come out nearly as nice as your vacuform one, I can only be in awe of your modeling skills.  And knowing how large the 72nd kit is, the 48th scale must be simply enormous.

Cheers,

Mark

I struggled with the Italeri one too despite it being quite a good model bar the panel lines. It's a beast that's blocking the work bench until I get a box made so that needs to be my next priority!

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil

Seeing your Stirling at Telford, and knowing what a great effort you had to put in to this model and to make it stand out to a degree that it looks more like a Revell or Airfix mainstream kit rather than a Vac form kit says everything, I think maybe you should put it into the competition for next years Nationals at Telford.

Anyway, great model and for me the best I have seen this year 2018 on Britmodeller

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wlad said:

I recall reading, long time ago and I don't remember where, the specifications dictated the wingspan so the bomber would fit in the existing hangars. This reduced the Stirling's service ceiling. As for the long main landing gear legs, I'd like to know too. They seem to be twice as long as needed.

Marvellous work, @woody37.

Cheers,
Wlad

The short wing span caused the plane to have a very long takeoff run. It was decided that the the plane need another 3 degree wing incidence to over come this. They way they did it was to extend the already high undercarriage legs.

The legs were already high to allow for the bomb loading and the extension of a belly turret during landing. The turret idea must have been dropped.

• Thanks 1

What a stunning result. I was lucky enough to see her, unfinished and minus legs, at Telford this year, and she looked absolutely beautiful. I hope I get another chance to see the finished thing in reality somewhere in the future.

Learning of Ron Middleton's story of determination, courage and the ultimate sacrifice is truly sobering. We should never forget the likes of him and the others; there were 125,000 altogether and 55,573 were killed in action. Their average age was just 21. Your Stirling helps keep all their memories alive. It's brilliant. 

• Like 1

Neil, what a fantastic result! Knowing how much work has gone into this and the superb finish, this is my favourite for 2018. You have done a good job of the heavy staining on the wings, so often missed from models.

Congratulations and well done!

H

• Like 1

On 12/31/2018 at 4:46 PM, kev67 said:

Hi Neil

Seeing your Stirling at Telford, and knowing what a great effort you had to put in to this model and to make it stand out to a degree that it looks more like a Revell or Airfix mainstream kit rather than a Vac form kit says everything, I think maybe you should put it into the competition for next years Nationals at Telford.

Anyway, great model and for me the best I have seen this year 2018 on Britmodeller

Thanks Kev, I’ve never done competitions but would be worth an entry :)

On 1/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, Howard Moon said:

Neil, what a fantastic result! Knowing how much work has gone into this and the superb finish, this is my favourite for 2018. You have done a good job of the heavy staining on the wings, so often missed from models.

Congratulations and well done!

H

Thanks Howard,

Im not completely happy with the stains but fear try8ng o work on them incase they become overdone.

thanks for all the ind comments gents :)