Sanger 1/48 Short Stirling Mk.I BF372 - Ron Middleton VC

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

Having spoken with Mike I know just how much of a "challenge" this model is.  Its not just the engines on the Stirling that are Herculean but the work you put in to get that end result. You deserve a medal.

Lovely result and you must be well proud of her

John, it's been a real slog but have enjoyed it. It's nice to have it in the collection now, there was times when I wondered what the hell I was doing!

2 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Neil, what a fantastic tribute to Rob Middleton VC, I'm sure he would be so impressed.

As with all your bombers, I love the subtle panel detail you achieve which, along with your interior detail, really brings it to life. I've been following your progress over the past year and must say I admire your tenacity and perseverance when faced with the many challenges you've had. I would have put it away for another day a long time ago!

So is it a full scratch build bomber or a nice easy airliner next?

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks Ian :)Good question, I've got several airliners that are in my plan (actually more like ideas because a plan sounds like I've made time to turn the ideas in to reality 😂) but not sure what's next, that's the only problem with having a stash! Thinking of a 1/48 double Blenheim build as got an Airfix one coming from @Julien and got a CA Mk.IV in the stash that should of got to Telford finished.

1 hour ago, spitfire said:

Fantastic result, the Stirling is one impressive looking aircraft and you have captured that look very well, I hope it spurs Tamiya on to produce one.

Cheers

Den

Thanks Dennis, I'm hoping that a company closer to home is watching too 😃

1 hour ago, tomprobert said:

The fact that the finished model looks like it could have been produced by Tamiya speaks volumes for your achievements here. Bloomin’ marvellous!

I know from experience the amount of effort it has taken to get to the finish line and I doff my hat. A beautiful model and a fine tribute to the brave airmen who died that night. 

Tom

Thanks Tom, you're the guru when it comes to vac forms so its a real honour to see your comments. Inside is like a car crash though, fortunately, P38 filler hides my mistakes well!

49 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

Thank You for the mention woody I'm so glad to be slightly associated with this wonderful build. I keep looking at my Sanger Blenheim and I think it may happen before too long (which should ensure a styrene kit).

Your memorial has turned out beautifully and, as others have said, it looks superb and a million miles past where it started. What a way to finish 2018!

These Sanger kits are like the S&M of the modelling world and I'm not talking about Mels' company 😂 Take a plunge and have some fun, I'm quite happy to sit and watch on that one!

23 minutes ago, Mike said:

You took a big pile of mouldering bits, some super resin engines by @Neil of Paragon fame, plus some half-realised ideas and made it into a bit of a show-stopper Nelly.  Bravo, congratulations and well done :clap2:

Thanks Mike, but as I've said before, you did some critical work on this such as making new clear part moulds, wing ribbing, cockpit floor etc so it's very much a joint effort on this one :)

Thanks for all the kind comments guys :)

• Like 1

What an acomplishment!  Superb build, beautifully done.  I have always thought this aircraft deserved a decent 1/48 plastic kit.  Now maybe with all this work you have put into this model one surely should be on the horizon.

• Like 1

Oh WOW,...... You`ve just won the Internet with that one mate,........ so glad to see it finished at last and well worth the wait it was too,........ what a corker!!! That is one to be very proud of indeed,....... and a great end to the year.

Now have a nice sit down and pick something a bit more shake and bake for your next choice,....... 1/72nd is going to feel very small after this giant!!!

Happy New Year Neil and all the best for 2019 mate,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Simply stunning, having built Sanger vacs in 1/72 I have an idea of the amount of work and skill needed to achieve a model of that standard. Your efforts to add the level of detail needed at 1/48 is humbling, you should be very proud and insufferably  smug! The only problem is where do you go next?

• Like 1

That is absolutely stunning Neil. 

Your work inside the cockpit is truly exceptional and highlighted by your skillful work on the canopy glazing. 

As a piece of art, it is a really fine tribute not only to Ron Middleton VC and his crew, but also to all the other crews who flew the aircraft. 

I'm so pleased that managed to get it finished today, as that means that I honestly say that for me, this has been the model of the year on this site. There have been some wonderful contenders, but considering your starting point and the amount of scratch built detail you've Incorporated, it stands head and shoulders above everything else. 

It's been an absolute pleasure to follow your work and most importantly to learn from it. 

Best wishes for the New Year and I can't wait to see what your next build will be. 

• Like 1

Well Neil, I knew you would get there but the finished article has turned out to be far better than I believed possible given the basic parts you started with.  I'll not go on repeating the superlatives already bestowed on both your talent and the finished model except to say that I wholeheartedly agree with each and every one of the comments posted before this one.

A stunning result Matey. 

All the best.

Chris.

• Like 1

I recall reading, long time ago and I don't remember where, the specifications dictated the wingspan so the bomber would fit in the existing hangars. This reduced the Stirling's service ceiling. As for the long main landing gear legs, I'd like to know too. They seem to be twice as long as needed.

Marvellous work, @woody37.

Cheers,
Wlad

• Like 1

Hi Neil

Knowing what you started with as a basis (a Sanger kit!!), you've made a wonderful job of it and it definitely looks like a Stirling. Glad that you were able to make sense of some of my rambling advice; I'm just glad to be able to impart some of my otherwise useless knowledge built up over the years LOL.

Hope to see you and the Bomber Command guys at Alconbury in 2019 to let you see how the flightdeck is progressing

cheers

John

• Like 1