Dealing with my hanger issues. Rivet counters are advised to give this one a miss. You know it's only going to upset you.

Gorby

This is the reason I haven't been around much for the last couple of weeks (what do you mean you hadn't noticed!) I've been trying to get this done before the end of the year.

I've been itching to scratch build something for quite some time now. I thoroughly enjoyed building my RAF hut last year. And as a cross section through a building shows more of it's contents, I wanted to try something similar, but on a grander scale. As I build quite a few Luftwaffe subjects I decided to build some sort of rough and ready field hangar based on a barn like structure that most competent chippies at the time would be able to cobble together relatively easily and quite quickly. After I'd already come to this decision I found something similar online which helped. http://www.rlm.at/cont/gal28_e.htm#Anfang

If some of the models look familiar, that's because this is more of a photo prop rather than a finished diorama. The models are all old builds and they will change over time. So you will be seeing this again in the future.

It's 1/48 scale and it took four months in total to build, but I was doing quite a lot of other, non modelling stuff at the time so this isn't four months work. It was done on quite a tight budget and cost about £50, but £17 of that was two sets of figures plus some equipment. Not all the figures have been used because I didn't want to over-crowd the scene (also, I'm crap at doing figures and some had to be sent home early after failing to make the grade). The only other things I bought, are the balsa for the hanger frame, three bags of static grass and a tiny metal chain for the engine hoist.

PLEASE NOTE: I'm more interested in visual appeal rather than historical accuracy, I tend to channel my inner six-year-old, (I want dat and dat and dat, coooooooool) so if anyone points out that one bit shouldn't be with another bit, or that bits the wrong shade of vermilion, I'll scweem and scweem until I'm sick. :puke:

So that should be pretty entertaining.

I apologise for the large number of photos. It's just that I'm quite please how it turned out.

Thanks for all the help I received along the way.

1. Some of the bits I scratch built. Most of the contents of the table and bench aren't scratched (I did do the paint tins and the mugs), likewise I didn't scratch the engine (although I improved it). Spot the joke.

553968-20442-16.jpg

2. If it came down to putting a picture of Hitler anywhere it would have to be the loo. I couldn't bring myself to use one in the end, and substituted Charlie Chaplin. :fuhrer:

553966-20442-20.jpg

3. The base is 24” x 18”. The soil is real soil from my garden.

553967-20442-49.jpg

4. The roofing is made from takeaway meal foil containers (sometimes you have to suffer for your art) shaped with my home-made corrugation die. That's about a weeks work for just the roof.

553969-20442-44.jpg

553970-20442-45.jpg

6. The blackboard picture is the most obvious joke. It's the assembly instructions for the Starfix Bf 109. Messerschmitt maintenance made easy.

553971-20442-67.jpg

7. I did wonder why an able bodied man would be painting, so put a double amputee to the task, with the steps holding his tin.

553972-20442-43.jpg

8. Being a reasonably competent carpenter, the frame of the hanger is as accurate as I believe it would have been. Even though it's only balsa, it's surprisingly strong. Spot the birds nest.

553973-20442-65.jpg

9. There are four different colours/lengths of static grass. The flowers are made with tiny bits of coloured foam.

553974-20442-36.jpg

10. This is the 1/48 Fuman 88mm Flak (not an easy kit).

553975-20442-71.jpg

553976-20442-17.jpg

12. The concrete floor of the hanger is made with (used) 80 grit sandpaper, over individual squares of cardboard to give it more of a 3D effect.

553977-20442-84.jpg

13. Tamiya's 3 ton truck (Opel Blitz).

553978-20442-75.jpg

14. Tamiya's Kubelwagen Type 82 (on the left)

553980-20442-40.jpg

553979-20442-66.jpg

553981-20442-96.jpg

553982-20442-88.jpg

18. Italeri Ju 87G-2

553983-20442-73.jpg

553984-20442-81.jpg

20. I carved the axe from a single piece of 1mm thick plastic card. Junk pile courtesy of the spares box.

553986-20442-92.jpg

553985-20442-97.jpg

553987-20442-16.jpg

23. Dragon Ba 349A Natter (much improved) with scratch built stand.

553989-20442-18.jpg

24. Italeri Kfz. 385 Tankwagen (Opel Blitz) – much altered.

553988-20442-10.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to take a ganders. Comments will be very welcome (unless they're from rivet- trolls or colour-fascists or humourless history nazis etc.)

Gorby

• Like 65
  • Thanks 4

..brilliant !  ..made me smile as well...love all the reading material lying around, especially the selection in the bog! the guys manning the flak position look really (convincingly) bored.... is that the pilot of the Ju 87 arriving for a sortie getting out of the Kubelwagen..and they're still working on its innards.. some-one's in trouble !

• Thanks 1

Gorby

I like that a lot.  Especially the little things like the wood pile, birds nest, junk pile and so on etc.  Great idea and a lot of fun which is what this bonkers hobby is supposed to be.

PS  Is the third rivit from the left slightly out of scale ?  :wicked:  Sorry couldn't resist

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

..brilliant !  ..made me smile as well...love all the reading material lying around, especially the selection in the bog! the guys manning the flak position look really (convincingly) bored.... is that the pilot of the Ju 87 arriving for a sortie getting out of the Kubelwagen..and they're still working on its innards.. some-one's in trouble !

Thanks Neil, I had a look on your site to get some inspiration for this build, so thanks for that as well.

The printed material in the bog isn't intended for reading if you get my drift… I always like to see models and dios with a bit of humour, but I know it's cruel to the rivet-nazis.

Which is why I like it. :giggle:

17 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I like that a lot.  Especially the little things like the wood pile, birds nest, junk pile and so on etc.  Great idea and a lot of fun which is what this bonkers hobby is supposed to be.

PS  Is the third rivit from the left slightly out of scale ?  :wicked:  Sorry couldn't resist

Thanks John, it amused me enormously thinking of stuff I could do, and then how I could do it. I think there's going to be more dioramas in my future. I just need to work out where to put them.

• Like 1

Well done . Too much to mention but loved the one legged stencilling  Herren . Just a great diorama . Trap 1 with the mags and poster and the Air Diagram  board with assembly instructions !

Brilliant ,well done again .. I must have missed your RAF hut build ... Got a link pretty please ? Wot rivets ?

Edited by bzn20
  • Thanks 1

Pete, @Pete in Lincs there's assembly destructions for a Starfix something on the Black board, you need all the help you can get!

Thinking on, the Haynes manual might be a sort of crib sheet

to identify the bits, outside on the glory pile :whistle:

@Gorby both the hanger and the RAF hut are great, if you ever need table space to show them, if North Riding are attending, you have it.

Happy New Year and have a great 2019

Paul

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Simply OUTSTANDING Gorby!!!  There is so much to look at and so many really fine details it is a WORK OF ART!!!

I am quite speechless - which is a bit of a first for me - Bravo Sir

Steve

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

Comments will be very welcome (unless they're from rivet- trolls or colour-fascists or humourless history nazis etc.)

well thats me off the hook. :) That is fantastic Gorby, I really like that big time. I can only guess at the work you put into & I suspect the fun you had doing it, it's sure fun to view, so much happening, so many little things to spot. brilliant mate. 👍

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I really, really hate to pick nits, but some of the blades of grass are pointing in the wrong direction....

Only kidding.... A great diorama with loads of good details, which help to make it look like a real scene. This is a real tribute to your build and painting skills, my friend.

Thanks for sharing with us. Happy New Year. 

Chris.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks @bzn20 , @PhoenixII , @Pete in Lincs , @Ozzy , @BIG X , @stevehnz , @Corsairfoxfouruncle , @Nocoolname , @spruecutter96 , @janneman36  I've gone all aflutter.

I had great fun planning and doing all the little bits, much more than I normally do just building models, so I need to decide which direction my hobby heads toward.

12 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Air Diagram  board with assembly instructions !

When I first saw those Starfix assembly instructions they made me laugh so much I knew I had to use them in some way. And what better way than to torture rivet-trolls?

11 hours ago, PhoenixII said:

if you ever need table space to show them, if North Riding are attending, you have it.

Thanks for the offer Paul, but I doubt that this will ever go to a show. I know that the guys on here like a laugh and will take the inaccuracies with a pinch of salt. At the shows there are too many free range rivet- trolls, colour-fascists and humourless history nazis.

10 hours ago, BIG X said:

There is so much to look at and so many really fine details

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

so much happening, so many little things to spot.

I love dios with a lot going on, so I thought I'd do one. I very much recommend it, great fun.

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

well thats me off the hook.

That bit was mainly for the bods on Scalemates, some of them can be real sticklers.

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

and the instructions in the blackboard.

That's probably me standing at the blackboard thinking “Ahhh, that's where the wingy thing goes”. :idea:

Thanks again to everyone who has commented and to everyone who did the 'like' thing. Much appreciated.

• Like 5

There is so much in that build this diorama tat just makes me grin, the Haynes manual, the picture of Charlie Chaplin as the Great Dictator in the trap and the blackboard breakdown of the aircraft - very witty and clever.  Brilliant! :thumbsup:

There's just one thing that needs to be put right - it's a HANGAR!!!  Hangers are what you put clothes on!  :angrysoapbox.sml:

Right, I'm off for a quiet sit down in Pedants' Corner.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Wez said:

Right, I'm off for a quiet sit down in Pedants' Corner.

Shouldn't that be: Pedant's Corner..........

Gorby, I just love the diorama, brilliant!

Edited by Paul_B
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

you'll always notice something you missed....

Thanks Vince, your quite right, I've just had a look at it and noticed that I did miss something – the fallen leaves. Dammit! :wall:

58 minutes ago, Wez said:

it's a HANGAR!!!

Thanks Wez. Silly me – I've changed it in the text, but kept it the same in the title because…… because I want to – so there. :tease:

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, Gorby said:

I'll scweem and scweem until I'm sick. :puke:

Well then Violet Elizabeth Bott, you've made a lovely job of the whole thing. Just one thing though.........no, maybe not. I don't want to you to be sick again.

John.

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Just one thing though

Watch it! I can projectile vomit you know. :fight:

Although France may be a stretch.

Thanks John. Do you need someone to lead you back to the tank section now?

• Haha 3