Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

18 minutes ago, Massimo said:

Very fine recessed panel lines on those wings!!!!

And nice weel bays too!!!

I'm very impressed by the level of detail of this Airfix kit, considering its age!!!

Well done Airfix!!!:clap:

Very funny Earthling, being in Italy won't save you!

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Very funny Earthling, being in Italy won't save you!

Martian 👽

I'm actually in Cambridge, can you reach me? :tease:

BTW she's really looking gorgeous!

Just a shame you aren't making an Italian aircraft...there are some very good looking liveries!!!

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Massimo said:

I'm actually in Cambridge, can you reach me? :tease:

BTW she's really looking gorgeous!

Just a shame you aren't making an Italian aircraft...there are some very good looking liveries!!!

Nowhere is beyond the reach of the blurglecruncheon!

Thanks Massimo but Fret ye not. I have another kit that will be built as an Italian cab I shall also be seeing what I can do with a Revell Fiat CT.42 and an Airfix Fiat G.50 is also lined up for a chilling out build as well. I like seeing what I can do with old kits: you can tell can't you? I also fancy having a bash at some Reggia Aeronautica schemes.

Martian 👽

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

I like seeing what I can do with old kits: you can tell can't you? I also fancy having a bash at some Reggia Aeronautica schemes.

Martian 👽

I just mentioned the Italian livery because  I thought, not having added anything to this nearly perfect kit OOB , it would have been nice at least to paint it properly!!!:rofl:

Of course I'm joking, and as you say ,I think we share this desire to get a good model from an ld kit. Nowadays there would be easier ways, but... to me they aren't fun!!!

I grew up reading articles on model magazines (...let's say on A model magazine, as at the time  there was only one!!!) where experienced modellers showed how to get a decent cockpit from kits with a seat sitting on a cross-bar using Plastic card and Evergreen profiles... 

And now I have fun doing this. In my project I've left aside the new Airfix Phantom as...I'm not having fun building it!!!

I've much preferred working on the old Matchbox Buccaneer!!!

Stated this, lately I've discovered that a sigle colour livery can be much more interesting than a complicated one!

So...just go for it and I'll be enjoying all of it!!!

Just...GET TO THE PAINTING STAGE!!!!:whistle: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Massimo said:

...lately I've discovered that a single colour livery can be much more interesting than a complicated one!

Especially if it’s Extra Dark Sea Grey, obviously...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Massimo said:

I just mentioned the Italian livery because  I thought, not having added anything to this nearly perfect kit OOB , it would have been nice at least to paint it properly!!!:rofl:

Of course I'm joking, and as you say ,I think we share this desire to get a good model from an ld kit. Nowadays there would be easier ways, but... to me they aren't fun!!!

I grew up reading articles on model magazines (...let's say on A model magazine, as at the time  there was only one!!!) where experienced modellers showed how to get a decent cockpit from kits with a seat sitting on a cross-bar using Plastic card and Evergreen profiles... 

And now I have fun doing this. In my project I've left aside the new Airfix Phantom as...I'm not having fun building it!!!

I've much preferred working on the old Matchbox Buccaneer!!!

Stated this, lately I've discovered that a sigle colour livery can be much more interesting than a complicated one!

So...just go for it and I'll be enjoying all of it!!!

Just...GET TO THE PAINTING STAGE!!!!:whistle: 

Evergreen? We had it tough; when I was a lad Slater's was all you could get and that only at some model shops. As to the painting, be patient. There is still much white styrene to be thrown at this build and we wouldn't want to deprive @Navy Bird of his regular fix would we?

9 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Especially if it’s Extra Dark Sea Grey, obviously...

See, listen to words of the wise old seadog. He knows what he is talking about. Well as far as anyone who belongs to BM ever does.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

before the High Command decided I had done enough for one day,

Il (Mrs) Comandante is quite right. Little and often is what's required 

How come you can achieve this high standard when you're in extreme pain . . . . or is it the drugs :whistle:

Kev

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Little and often is what's required 

That's what I told the Mem Sahib the other night but she claimed she had a headache! (Sorry Gill but sometimes Kev hands out ammunition that is simply too good not to fire.)

I don't know about the drugs but the back was a little better today so I just crashed on until Mrs Martian noticed that I was flagging and made me stop.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Mrs Martian seems reasonably understanding. Mrs Marklo does not get that modelling can take my mind off the persistent pain and takes a `if you're too bad to do x you shouldn't be doing anything`  view. It does sound like you both have a reasonable handle on doing stuff versus our level of CFS.

Oh and the wheel bays do look very good, as with the rest of the build.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

Thanks Marklo. Yes Mrs Martian is very understanding which is one of the reasons she was made Mrs Martian in the first place.

Sorry to learn that you have health problems. It is an established medical fact that a relaxing activity can distract from low to medium levels of  pain and is currently encouraged by health professionals. There does of course become a level where this no longer works and the pain does have a detrimental effect on what one is trying to do.

Martian 👽

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

Good progress, if a little slow Martian. Nice work on the wings. I sincerely hope the back calms down a bit...any chance the Duchess could rig up some kind of Heath Robinson combined recliner bed/workbench/dispensary/bar device, utilising magnets, suction pads, pullies, block and tackle, straws etc?

I don't do mojo restorers per se, just start off with an immensely complicated, ridiculously challenging idea and work backwards..that way it's always a pleasant surprise, (must be something fundamentally wrong with me as I find things like rescribing, PE, vac parts and working with resin relaxing and quite therapeutic...on second thoughts don't answer that)

Too much of what I do not enjoy and it will never get finished or take eons to do so.

Now that's a strange coincidence...this is exactly what I have to point out to the Mem everytime she turns up at the man cave door armed with a feathery duster, Dyson and her best war face!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Sadly true dear alien, especially in an aging, crumbling world such as mine...

Sucks doesn't it?

8 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Good progress, if a little slow Martian. Nice work on the wings. I sincerely hope the back calms down a bit...any chance the Duchess could rig up some kind of Heath Robinson combined recliner bed/workbench/dispensary/bar device, utilising magnets, suction pads, pullies, block and tackle, straws etc?

I don't do mojo restorers per se, just start off with an immensely complicated, ridiculously challenging idea and work backwards. That way it's always a pleasant surprise, (must be something fundamentally wrong with me as I find things like rescribing, PE, vac parts and working with resin relaxing and quite therapeutic...on second thoughts don't answer that)

Now that's a strange coincidence...this is exactly what I have to point out to the Mem every time she turns up at the man cave door armed with a feathery duster, Dyson and her best war face!

Thanks your Generalship. sorry about the speed of things. Back aside, the port wing took over five hours work to get this far. I suspect it is because I am getting the first whiff of this turning out to be a build that I am actually happy with and not just a mojo buster and don't want to spoil things. We also have to remember that I never was the quickest builder in the Galaxy.

Strangely enough, although I normally heartily detest re-scribing, I tried a different scriber on this kit, more of a pen-like tool that I picked up at the Model Engineer Exhibition at Alexander Palace a couple of years ago and found it much easier to work with. The result is that I am having to reconsider whether re-scribing is really such a pain in the Martian backsides or whether I have just not been using the tools that are right for me. Wherever possible I enjoy scratch building stuff more than working with aftermarket. We do however agree on vacforms. I love them and am very sorry to see the decline in this genre of kit. Fortunately I have managed to grow my stash of them over the last year or so.

I think the best way to deter Lady Melchett is to grab the Dyson when she appears at the Melchie cave door and hook it up to your home made vacform machine. I guarantee she won't do it again.

Martian 👽 (Free marriage guidance to modellers across the Galaxy.)

• Haha 7

20 minutes ago, Marklo said:

46823900861_e20062b2b1_o.jpg

This arrived in the post yesterday and will be rushed to the start of the queue as a Mojo restorer/enhancer. Too good to be left to linger in the stash :)

This needs to be the subject of a WIP!

Martian 👽

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

46823900861_e20062b2b1_o.jpg

This arrived in the post yesterday and will be rushed to the start of the queue as a Mojo restorer/enhancer. Too good to be left to linger in the stash :)

1 hour ago, perdu said:

We agree don't we lads, ladies and the undecided...

(Bill the never unconcerned..... Mostly)

😱😕😱😕😱😕😱.     😨.     😠.    😇🍻

I agree, this would be a great WiP.

Sorry for the thread hijack Mr Martian, back to normal service....

• Like 3

Indeed it will be. Hopefully I'll start it at the weekend.

Sorry for the thread hijack Mr Martian, back to normal service....

I thought this was normal service for Martians threads

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

46823900861_e20062b2b1_o.jpg&key=e115f9e

Strewth that's a blast from the past...I recall getting one of these when they first came out way back in 1995...nice little oddity, just my cup of char. (Something slightly askew with the perspective of the left wheel methinks, looks like it's going its own way!) 

I think the best way to deter Lady Melchett is to grab the Dyson when she appears at the Melchie cave door and hook it up to your home made vacform machine. I guarantee she won't do it again.

Nice try Martian...unfortunately with my current set up this would initiate a spot of China Syndrome in the locale resulting in mega-tsunamis, volcanic eruptions and highly toxic gaseous emissions, (sounds like one of our famous 'Bombay Blast Out' curry nights) and lead to all sorts of huffin' and puffin' in the Melchett household...no, no, best just to grin through clenched teeth and bear it like the true member of the Harrovian back four that I am, sigh...trousers down, six of the best...

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

...this is exactly what I have to point out to the Mem everytime she turns up at the man cave door armed with a feathery duster, Dyson and her best war face!

Dear Sir Melchett of Wellington !

I hope that the duster is purple !!

Dyson 😰 She's a witch !!!

Any vacuum cleaner in fact… Combined with the carpet monster !!!

We both know that these 2 monsters are allied against us… Poor plastic gluer !!

In CC Castle, the models area is restricted ! And the rule is enforced with the help of any tool forbodden by the Geneva's convention...

Really good job Dear tentacled one !

I will make a Fiat CR 42 based in Belgium at the time of the BoB...

in Maldegem precisely….

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

4 hours ago, general melchett said:

with my current set up this would initiate a spot of China Syndrome in the locale

Speaking of your locale. Passing through Waddingnot village today, I spotted Darling on the roof of Melchett towers

scraping the ice off the solar panels. I was shocked to see that his hat was askew and the seagulls had made a mess

of his uniform. I do hope this state of affairs will not go unpunished. There are standards to uphold!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Exactly!

Err...go with the Floh. :facepalm:

Glad to see your Lebanese fancy getting ever more elaborate Martian.

Authoritative scribing that man. :clap:

40 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Speaking of your locale. Passing through Waddingnot village today, I spotted Darling on the roof of Melchett towers

Pity you didn't get a photo to send in to Springwatch...

• Haha 6