Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

That has to be the coolest thing since sliced beer.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Sliced Beer ??? Sacrilege !!

These frenchies up that wall strike again !! :deadhorse:

We need another Saint hand grenade of Antioch !!

And count to 3, not 2 or 4 but 3 !! 🤔

WP_20190121_21_22_48_Pro

Do not listen to them poor little Blue Chimay !! :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Martian Hale said:

Evil child! I'm on a diet, back to the naughty corner!

There is in fact a book called The Chianti Raiders by Peter Haining (isbn 1861058292) which documents the Italian participation in the Battle of Britain. A very good and thoroughly recommended read.

Martian 👽

Sure, I know, and guess where are the italian based ???

Hummm Mainly in Belgium...

Trading Chianti for good beers !!

CC

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Sliced Beer ??? Sacrilege !!

Now see what you have done Bill; CC is all exited again, just as we thought we had him under control!

Martian 👽

• Haha 4

when the first Italian bombers were shot down during the Battle of Britain, fresh bread, large cheeses and bottles of wine were found on board,

Well, there's nothing like being prepared, the Italians always did do things in style, (either bribes, in-flight entertainment or a good POW nosh-up with Tommy Atkins)....I suspect the latter. When I lived in North Yorkshire, nearby at Malton was POW Eden Camp, where a lot of Italian prisoners were housed after being taken prisoner around 1943. Stories abounded of Italians entrusted with work on local farms and factories, mingling with the populace and generally joining in with daily life, social events and general fun and games with seemingly no thoughts of returning to fight 'the cause'. Most seemed to enjoy their time there and several returned after the war to live in the area and bring up families...funny old life!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, general melchett said:

Well, there's nothing like being prepared, the Italians always did do things in style, (either bribes, in-flight entertainment or a good POW nosh-up with Tommy Atkins)....I suspect the latter. When I lived in North Yorkshire, nearby at Malton was POW Eden Camp, where a lot of Italian prisoners were housed after being taken prisoner around 1943. Stories abounded of Italians entrusted with work on local farms and factories, mingling with the populace and generally joining in with daily life, social events and general fun and games with seemingly no thoughts of returning to fight 'the cause'. Most seemed to enjoy their time there and several returned after the war to live in the area and bring up families...funny old life!

Exactly the same happened here in north Worcestershire, and in Kidderminster today there is a small area where predominantly people of Italian origin live. 

• Like 2

The same here in Belgium, We have one that finally became prime minister !

Pierre's neighbor was in Ariete division and has been caught POW in Africa...

Spent some times in UK...

Came in Belgium for working in coal mines and stayed here !

The same with the german POW who has been taken as workforce in the coal mine too...

Example, my missus's father...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 3

I feel I must apologise for the lack of updates over the past few days. I have managed to trap a nerve in my back and sitting at my bench is very uncomfortable. That said frustration is getting the better of me and I shall be having a bash today. We will have to see how far I get.

Martian 👽

• Confused 1
  • Sad 10

2 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

I feel I must apologise for the lack of updates over the past few days. I have managed to trap a nerve in my back and sitting at my bench is very uncomfortable. That said frustration is getting the better of me and I shall be having a bash today. We will have to see how far I get.

Martian 👽

I don't want to know what you're doing but after your "bash", perhaps you could get back to the bench!!??

Jeff

• Haha 6

Hello dear tentacled one !

Be carefull man, and take your time !!

You know that we are here to look after your thread !

When I was in that same case I used Myolastan, but now our brilliant politicians have banned that medication...

My worst experiment was to trap both the Scitic AND the Crural one… on the same leg….

So take care of yourself !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hang in there, Mr. Walston. I can sympathize with you, since I've had nine spinal surgeries since 1992. In my experience there is no pain greater than a pinched nerve. Of course, I've never given birth, or been dismembered or anything like that, so I suppose there could be something nastier. The worst part of nerve pain is the inability to get into any position that gives relief. For those of you who haven't experienced it yet, count your blessings! Let's all give our favourite Martian our best wishes for today's bash.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

I have managed to trap a nerve in my back and sitting at my bench is very uncomfortable.

Many sympathies, I too have an intermittent  back condition stemming from a (mostly healed I might add) prolapsed disk . Time at the bench can indeed be painful. However I do keep a well stocked medical cupboard.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Hang in there, Mr. Walston. I can sympathize with you, since I've had nine spinal surgeries since 1992. In my experience there is no pain greater than a pinched nerve. Of course, I've never given birth, or been dismembered or anything like that, so I suppose there could be something nastier. The worst part of nerve pain is the inability to get into any position that gives relief. For those of you who haven't experienced it yet, count your blessings! Let's all give our favourite Martian our best wishes for today's bash.

Cheers,

Bill

Agreed 200%

CC

• Like 1

3 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

When I was in that same case I used Myolastan, but now our brilliant politicians have banned that medication...

My worst experiment was to trap both the Scitic AND the Crural one… on the same leg….

Sincerely.

CC

Have you ever suffered kidney stones? Apparently worse than child birth. I've had stones but not a child and they really REALLY hurt.

Jeff

• Like 2

5 hours ago, perdu said:

Fingies crossed...

Thanks Bill.

4 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

I don't want to know what you're doing but after your "bash", perhaps you could get back to the bench!!??

Jeff

Building an SM.79.

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Sincerely.

CC

Mrs Martian has been looking into the Myolastan apparently it can have hypnotic effects and cause skin reactions. She seems to think I am weird enough as it is and my skin changes colour too often as well!

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Cheers,

Bill

I have had worse (Shades of the Black Knight) but it is a real concentration killer.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Many sympathies, I too have an intermittent  back condition stemming from a (mostly healed I might add) prolapsed disk . Time at the bench can indeed be painful. However I do keep a well stocked medical cupboard.

I managed a couple of hours and you will see the results as soon as I have finished replying to everyone's kind remarks.

40 minutes ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Have you ever suffered kidney stones? Apparently worse than child birth. I've had stones but not a child and they really REALLY hurt.

Jeff

Fortunately not. Mrs Martian had an enormous gall stone a few years ago and she hit the ground like a sack of spuds.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

Just now, pinky coffeeboat said:

Ohh, my sympathies to Mrs Martian. 

Jeff

She's fine now but the surgeon said it was one of the largest he had ever seen.

Martian 👽

I began today by taking a closer look at the wings to see what needed doing and it was not good news. I needed to trim part of the locating tabs for the wings as they fouled the extra structure that I had added to the fuselage earlier in the build. That was easily sorted but the surface detail on the wings was not.

I had been hoping to preserve the raised detail on the wings where it represents the fabric covering. However dry fitting the wings revealed that much of this would be lost when I thinned down the trailing edges and blended in the separate ailerons. The wing roots will need some sanding to get them to blend in with the wings as well. In addition, there is some damage to one of the wing tips that will need rectifying. Much as I hate re-scribing, it was out scribing tools time. Bugger! I have gone for deeper lines where there are panel lines and much shallower lines where there were rib tapes. Depending how I feel about it, I may leave the shallow lines as they are or inlay some .10 'thou plastic rod in them and sand it back to represent the tapes. This is what I would automatically do were this a full on build but I shall go with what I feel as there is little point in doing a mojo build that goes on to destroy one's mojo. I managed one wing before my back got too much and will have a bash at the other tomorrow.

There are quite a few pictures as the re-scribed wing was very difficult to photograph showing the work undertaken but hopefully you will get the gist of what I have been doing.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

075.jpg

076.jpg

078.jpg

079.jpg

• Like 17

Real good job Dear ETI !

These old kits…. There's Always Something to fix which cause somrthing that need to be fixed too And so on….

Wish you a quick and cool recovery !

I never suffered of side effects with Myolastan, but I did'nt took it when I got to work or drive my van of course !

Colour skin change… Huh that was not the rocket fuel ??? Amazing:whistle:

Sincerely.

6 hours ago, pinky coffeeboat said:

Jeff

Yup, that was not a Pleasant souvenir !!

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks CC, I just have to be a bit strict with myself as to what I do with this build. Too much of what I do not enjoy and it will never get finished or take eons to do so. Keep it simple young Martian, keep it simple.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

I'd certainly avoid extending the discovered 'on track' stuff Martian because that is what causes me most lost time

I start to do a quick mojo fixer then find myself going in too deep

My Merlin is one of those, suddenly there's lots more to do than Plan A and the quicky starts to drag

Where the Savoia is now looks brilliant, so much internal loveliness

How could you feel an urge to overdo it?

Where your build is now is, simply, damned lovely

Take it easy on your body dear chap, too many of us crocked up still

T'aint no fun!

😕

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes in my book, a Mojo restorer should be a quick win, for me it's a good OOB, on my main builds I'll worry about how the rivets look, actually I won't as having worked on rivets for a number of years ( I was quite the expert on PWA16 as applied to JT8D-200 HPC rear inner cases, if you're interested, but frankly nobody usually is) as a result I'd be aware that the front of a rivet is going to be invisible until you hit  say 1/24th or greater and the back isn't going to be seen unless the panels are open and it's a bucked not squeezed rivet ( I can explain if you're interested, but again frankly nobody usually is) perhaps the better example is the interior of my  Gamecock (wahey) which looks lovely but will be never be seen again once the upper decking is permanently in situ, but you get the idea.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

I'd certainly avoid extending the discovered 'on track' stuff Martian because that is what causes me most lost time

I start to do a quick mojo fixer then find myself going in too deep

My Merlin is one of those, suddenly there's lots more to do than Plan A and the quicky starts to drag

Where the Savoia is now looks brilliant, so much internal loveliness

How could you feel an urge to overdo it?

Where your build is now is, simply, damned lovely

Take it easy on your body dear chap, too many of us crocked up still

T'aint no fun!

😕

Thanks Bill, although the re-scribing is unavoidable and I hate doing it, I do like the effect I have ended up with and I think I will take your advice and leave it as is.

10 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Yes in my book, a Mojo restorer should be a quick win, for me it's a good OOB, on my main builds I'll worry about how the rivets look, actually I won't as having worked on rivets for a number of years ( I was quite the expert on PWA16 as applied to JT8D-200 HPC rear inner cases, if you're interested, but frankly nobody usually is) as a result I'd be aware that the front of a rivet is going to be invisible until you hit  say 1/24th or greater and the back isn't going to be seen unless the panels are open and it's a bucked not squeezed rivet ( I can explain if you're interested, but again frankly nobody usually is) perhaps the better example is the interior of my  Gamecock (wahey) which looks lovely but will be never be seen again once the upper decking is permanently in situ, but you get the idea.

Wise words Marklo, I am trying not to waste effort on stuff that can't be seen. This is why I like this particular subject as with all the various fuselage openings, one can see what one has done.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

the front of a rivet is going to be invisible until you hit  say 1/24th or greater 

Just to clarify,m that would be on a countersunk rivet, which is the type usually used on faying (anything in the airflow) surfaces on modern aircraft, now you will see the head of a dome headed rivet, but in my own experience they were only used where you needed the extra strength and couldn't countersink the surface being riveted. I might add that at this stage even my eyes are glazing over...   Anorak off.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

I managed a longer bash at the model today and would have got more done had Mrs Martian not insisted I take a rest. I began by rescribing the port wing to match the starboard and gave the tail planes the same treatment and on a whim, glued them to the fuselage. The fit was very good but did leave some small gaps to fill. A bit of Miliput will soon sort that out.

Next it was time to start the Big Push on sorting out the gaping voids that are the nacelles. I began by making some ribs to blank off the wing either side of the port nacelle, followed by the addition of some spars, placed where the surface detail indicates where they should be. I than blanked off the rear of the nacelle and added some representative structure to the roof of the wheel bay before the High Command decided I had done enough for one day, which I suppose is fair enough as we have to attend a wedding in Gloucestershire tomorrow and she wants me fit for it. If I am too unwell to go to the wedding and Mrs Martian does not get to wear her new outfit it would probably result in assorted tentacles being removed with the bread knife. :yikes:

It will probably be Saturday evening before I get another decent bash at the bench but I would like to get the nacelles wrapped up before the weekend is out. I did think about sneaking back to the Martian Cave but apparently the beard trimming party is mustering ready for me; bugger!

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

080.jpg

081.jpg

082.jpg

083.jpg

• Like 13