Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

1 hour ago, limeypilot said:

I assume the holes are for the flower pots which make up the roof garden?

Ian

You had your chance to do Changing Threads while I was away over the weekend; too late, fluffed it. Mind you, if Charlie Dimmock wanted to put in a cameo appearance, there would be no resistance from your scribe!

Martian 👽

• Haha 2

I can see it now, a consultation with Gag Halfront.....'Ah, now zen Martian, I can see zat you have no idea wezer you are comink or goink, tell me, are you truly happy in your verk?'

IMG-20181110-161455.jpg&key=7901962e9d83

And horror above horrors...

066.jpg&key=a2d9f96d321811c73bf5a0db9a42

I see Mrs Martian has been a bit lax with the mop and duster while you've been away....feet up relaxing/convalescing no doubt....or did she venture forth with you under cover of darkness?...in which case I'd fire the cleaning lady.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 minutes ago, general melchett said:

I see Mrs Martian has been a bit lax with the mop and duster while you've been away....feet up relaxing/convalescing no doubt....or did she venture forth with you under cover of darkness?...in which case I'd fire the cleaning lady.

I shall pass your comments on to Mrs Martian and look forward to the results when she catches up with you at Telford. Good job I'm not squeamish. Actually, we do have a cleaning lady so perhaps I should show her your comments. On second thoughts, perhaps not; it would involve her reading this thread and we would rather like to keep her.

Martian 👽

PS: Elaine says you had better not be improperly dressed for the third year in succession. She is already concocting something extra specially obnoxious. This is particularly worrying as she makes the both of us look positively sane!

• Haha 7

She is already concocting something extra specially obnoxious...This is particularly worrying as she makes the both of us look positively sane!

By St Hernias underpants this is indeed a worrying development, she'll really have to go some after last years effort... the final part of your statement is quite true. I 'accidentally' tipped a good deal of her last brew into an unsuspecting nearby water closet...to my horror it stripped most of the enamel, fumed away furiously, resulting in an eye-wateringly hideous stench that set off the hall alarm system and activated the national HazChem investigation team...don't worry though, after several lengthy enquiries I've pointed them in the right direction! 

• Haha 5

7 hours ago, general melchett said:

By St Hernias underpants this is indeed a worrying development, she'll really have to go some after last years effort... the final part of your statement is quite true. I 'accidentally' tipped a good deal of her last brew into an unsuspecting nearby water closet...to my horror it stripped most of the enamel, fumed away furiously, resulting in an eye-wateringly hideous stench that set off the hall alarm system and activated the national HazChem investigation team...don't worry though, after several lengthy enquiries I've pointed them in the right direction! 

I have just read this post to Mrs Martian and I am glad she is wearing her strongest corset as I think she has split her sides laughing!

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

And chemical warfare now !!

CC

Seeing as how you will be there too, I think it will be in your best interests to prevail upon our esteemed General to dig out the old regimental mess kit as the alternative is too horrific to contemplate. I mean, a self confessed mad Irish costumier running around with probably the most toxic substances in the known universe; What could possibly go wrong?

5 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Hostage situation?

Call in the lads...

a5e86c489ee645f89f01c3b848572db4--comic-

Not yet, we would prefer her to stay voluntarily.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

It has been few days since I last posted any progress as there has been a flurry of MVS duties to attend to which have left me utterly exhausted. However I bit the bullet last night and decided to get as much of the remaining brasswork out of the way as possible. I don't really like working with etched brass any more than I have to; am I the only one? 

For the instrument panel I am using a set from a company called Hobby-Model which has much better detail than the Eduard set. I think this was anther of my bargain bin finds and although deigned for th Italerii kit, seems to fit the Airfix offering just as well. I began by gluing the back plate for the instrument panel to the front cockpit bulkhead and then knocking up a panel for the throttle quadrants to go below it. All the instrument panels were removed from their fret, cleaned up and have been given a black primer coat which s now curing. The film that forms the instruments themselves has had it's rear face painted white. A coaming for the instrument panel was cut out from .10'thou plastic strip, glued to the front bulkhead and faired in.

A quick heads up here. I have been puzzling as to why the front fuselage parts are a bit reluctant to mate up properly and finally realized that the front of the fuselage where it meets the front bulkhead needs thinning down somewhat. This done, the two halves fall together very well. This is going to affect even those building out of the box in the same way that I am not.

I keep forgetting to mention that I have decided to go with the blanked off extra fuselage windows on the starboard side. These have very prominent frames and these have been made from .10 x .30 'thou plastic strip. A shout out here for Mrs Martian's bear Beau who once again rides to rescue by holding the fuselage still while the picture of the windows was taken. Much better than me trying to hold the model still in one tentacle, while trying to take the picture with the other and generally making a mess of things.

I still have the remains of those stringers to do, side gun mountings to knock out, rudder pedals and seat belts to fit but I think one more session should see the construction stage of the fuselage internals compete. We will have a bash at the engine nacelles next. I now have to have a think as to how I can make this bit more entertaining for you all as there was not a great deal of detail in this area on the original aircraft. Mostly just plain painted wood with a few strengthening strips. Still I have no doubt that some that are following this thread will find some way of enlivening that particular part of the build!

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

071.jpg

072.jpg

073.jpg

074.jpg

• Like 19

Real gem my Dear tentacled one !

Now, you must have Beau on your pay roll, since the brave bear is a real helping hand !

A bear clamp for sure !!

Sincerely.

CC

PS, is'nt there any convenience corner in this bomber ??

• Like 2

Thanks CC, Beau says he is most flattered.

As to a convenience store, many a true word and all that. Apparently, when the first Italian bombers were shot down during the Battle of Britain, fresh bread, large cheeses and bottles of wine were found on board, earning them the nickname  "The Chianti Raiders".

Another interesting fact from your friendly neighbourhood Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

That's looking very nice. I always thought it was petrol tanks in the bomb bay...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian, those chutes do look a bit like tanks don't they?

Martian 👽

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Massimo said:

The combination of brass and styrene is smashing!!!!

Nearly there....:like:

Thanks Massimo, you do seem to underestimate my ability to screw things up though.

Martian (Jinxing himself since stardate 1961) 👽

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Massimo said:

...well....this rings a bell...it reminds me of somebody.....:whistle:

Something to do with a mirror perchance?

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

That has to be the coolest thing since sliced beer.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill, it wouldn't have anything to do with the acres of white styrene by any chance?

Martian 👽

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Thanks CC, Beau says he is most flattered.

As to a convenience store, many a true word and all that. Apparently, when the first Italian bombers were shot down during the Battle of Britain, fresh bread, large cheeses and bottles of wine were found on board, earning them the nickname  "The Chianti Raiders".

Another interesting fact from your friendly neighbourhood Martian 👽

I think that now… 1/72 Gorgonzola, parmiggiano i Chianti are MUST for your Sparviero...:evil_laugh:

Glad that I'm going to bed in knowing a bit more about BoB !!

Sincerely.

CC :cheers:

• Like 2

Evil child! I'm on a diet, back to the naughty corner!

There is in fact a book called The Chianti Raiders by Peter Haining (isbn 1861058292) which documents the Italian participation in the Battle of Britain. A very good and thoroughly recommended read.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 1