Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well I guess one man’s overboard is another man’s channel swim! It’s looking great anyway so more power to your Mojo!

Regards,

Adrian

I just enjoy making airframe structures so I find that bit relaxing.

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

Looks great, Martian! Kind of what I had in mind for doing with mine - great, so I'll just sit back and let you do it for me :D

The more the merrier.

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

Thanks Bbudde, guns duly placed on order.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

A second update in a day; aren't you lucky? (or not, depending on our point of view) I waited as long as I could before I launched myself back into the build. When I judged that the cross members of the framework were sufficiently solid, I opened up the fuselage and began adding dome of the Eduard etch to the flooring of the fuselage. This was a tad on the wide side but was soon sorted with a small diamond file.

Next up I very carefully measured where the upright supports for the cross members have to go, drilled location holes for them and with extreme care glued them in place, checking that they met the cross members exactly. When dry, extra structure was added to the supports.

I think that is all I can manage today as I am getting a bit tired but I am looking forward to a good bash tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

024.jpg

026.jpg

025.jpg

023.jpg

• Like 19

Floor and framework looking cool there Daddy M.

Another delightful interlude!

I know my that my mind's mind's already in the gutter but each time I see the title of this thread in the listings I read 'S&M Lebanese Style' and have momentary visions of something frightful involving falafel...

• Haha 10

59 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Floor and framework looking cool there Daddy M.

Another delightful interlude!

I know my that my mind's mind's already in the gutter but each time I see the title of this thread in the listings I read 'S&M Lebanese Style' and have momentary visions of something frightful involving falafel...

Thank you dear heart.

Am I going to have to change the title of the thread in order to prevent it being dragged from gutter to sewer or is that already pre-ordained, being one of my threads?

Martian 👽

• Haha 6

Nothing wrong with a good falafel. Yum!

Sorry I'm late to this one your alienness.

I was given a Penny Farthing for Christmas and have been re-chroming the spokes 

with one of those little pens. Also, the training wheels only just arrived from Amazon.

I always fancied building this one way back when but never got around to it.

I'm curious, what sort of dates would these have been in service in Lebanon?

I'm just reading an excellent book about the desert/mediterranean theatre of war.

Pete

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I always fancied building this one way back when but never got around to it.

I'm curious, what sort of dates would these have been in service in Lebanon

Thanks Pete. The SM.79 was in Lebanese service from 1946 to 1959.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that, I'll sleep better now (hope you do too).

They got thirteen years out of them then. Not too bad.

In case you are curious too, the book I am reading is on

page 31 of the 'what are you reading' thread, post 770.

• Haha 1

Another restless night, another session the build. The bombs on the SM.79 seem to have been stored in tube-like containers so five lengths of the appropriate diameter tubing were cut to length, thinned at their top ends and had ribbing added from .10 x .10 'thou plastic strip. This was bit fiddly as the strip kept trying to break. Additional work on the cage-like structure that surrounds the bomb cells was undertaken. This part of the build can only proceed slowly due to the need to let any parts added to be thoroughly cured before doing some more. No bad thing as it happens as it gives me plenty of time to think about where I am going with this quite complex assembly and how to break it down for the maximum ease of painting. Strangely enough, I often find these thinking periods as therapeutic as doing the actual modelling. While I was at the bench, I also took the opportunity to finish off the port-side fuselage structure that a certain Muppet of this parish forgot to do the other day. 

The more observant will have noticed that I have given the aeroplane it's full title in an attempt to divert @TheBaron's thoughts away from more questionable proclivities. :whip: Will it work? Only time will tell but I for one am not holding my breath.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

027.jpg

028.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

• Like 17

So, to sum up, you were up all night directing a team of spiders to do all that work?

Well it worked. That is a very nice result.

As for the @Baron I think he has his very own naughty step in the back yard.

You're not to go out to play with him again, or no sweeties!

BTW, I don't know if you saw the lists, but this kit is to be re-issued.

• Like 4

Thanks Pete, I can confirm that I did all the work myself and that no spider worrying has taken place during this build. :spider:

I did not know this kit was to be re-released, it will be interesting to see what colour schemes Airfix have in mind for it.

Martian 👽 

• Like 1

Nice work on the interior - both sides!

Those bombs look to be a long way back, that must have been interesting to fly when they were released!

Ian

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

As for the @Baron I think he has his very own naughty step in the back yard.

You're not to go out to play with him again, or no sweeties!

The very idea that your humble correspondent is a bad influence upon the pure Martian soul is quite frankly credible...err...I meant not at all credible of course!

Sorry to hear of the restless nocturnes Daddy M. but glad that modelling provides a respite of sorts; those innards are looking proper busy. :nodding:

I knew they  reminded me of something!

nucwas1.jpg

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

No bad thing as it happens as it gives me plenty of time to think about where I am going with this quite complex assembly and how to break it down for the maximum ease of painting. Strangely enough, I often find these thinking periods as therapeutic as doing the actual modelling

How true. :thumbsup2: In my case, despite whinging as much as the next pilgrim about how much paid work intrudes upon The True Work, it is excellent psychology in forcing time out to gain perspective about what needs doing and how. 

On 1/6/2019 at 8:06 PM, Martian Hale said:

Am I going to have to change the title of the thread in order to prevent it being dragged from gutter to sewer or is that already pre-ordained, being one of my threads?

Title change has had no effect I'm afraid. 'Savoia Marchetti' of course being a Naples burlesque dancer of the 1930s infamous for having a third extra.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

Yes, the bombs were installed in tubes, some were loaded nose up and some nose down: 100 Kg bombs were carried nose up, 500 and 250 Kg bombs were carried nose down.

The tubes differed depending on the bomb, so different size of tubes were attached to the bomb carrying frame depending on the load. A weird solution that was the result of the conversion of the original SM.79 design, that was a racer/fast transport, into a bomber.

Speaking of this I can't remember if it was Airfix or Italeri that made a mistake in giving an upper part with a certain number of tubes and a lower with a different number of tubes... 😄

Don't know if it's too late, maybe it is, but on this page you'll find several variations of the so-called Catalogo Nomenclatore for the SM.79. This was the official catalogue of parts for the aircraft and the drawing coming with it are very useful to understand how the various parts were made. The same page also includes the erection manual (the document with an MR in the title), that offers both pictures and drawings very useful to add detail to a model.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/profili_daerei/libretti_velivolo/avianew_profili_aerei_libretti_miana_velivoli.asp

• Like 3

8 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice work on the interior - both sides!

Those bombs look to be a long way back, that must have been interesting to fly when they were released!

Ian

Thanks Ian. I take your point but that's where they were stowed. I can only suggest that the bombs were carried very close to the centre of gravity.

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

The very idea that your humble correspondent is a bad influence upon the pure Martian soul is quite frankly credible...err...I meant not at all credible of course!

Title change has had no effect I'm afraid. 'Savoia Marchetti' of course being a Naples burlesque dancer of the 1930s infamous for having a third extra.

Were it not for my saintly nature, I would have been corrupted long ago. 😇 Quiet CC!

Then sadly there is no more I can do short of calling the aeroplane something completely different, in which case nobody looking for the thread would ever be able to find it. Your not related to @general melchett are you?

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Innings after tea.

I didn't know they played cricket down there?

They probably don't; I mean, just imagine trying to translate the LBW rules alone! 🏏

7 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Yes, the bombs were installed in tubes, some were loaded nose up and some nose down: 100 Kg bombs were carried nose up, 500 and 250 Kg bombs were carried nose down.

The tubes differed depending on the bomb, so different size of tubes were attached to the bomb carrying frame depending on the load. A weird solution that was the result of the conversion of the original SM.79 design, that was a racer/fast transport, into a bomber.

Speaking of this I can't remember if it was Airfix or Italeri that made a mistake in giving an upper part with a certain number of tubes and a lower with a different number of tubes... 😄

Don't know if it's too late, maybe it is, but on this page you'll find several variations of the so-called Catalogo Nomenclatore for the SM.79. This was the official catalogue of parts for the aircraft and the drawing coming with it are very useful to understand how the various parts were made. The same page also includes the erection manual (the document with an MR in the title), that offers both pictures and drawings very useful to add detail to a model.

http://www.avia-it.com/act/profili_daerei/libretti_velivolo/avianew_profili_aerei_libretti_miana_velivoli.asp

Thanks Giorgio, the link is most useful and duly saved to my favourites. It must be Italerii who made the mistake as Airfix don't give us anything.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheBaron said:

'Savoia Marchetti' of course being a Naples burlesque dancer of the 1930s infamous for having a third extra.

I thought that was Ettcentrica Galumbits , the triple breasted whore of Eroticon Six?

Confused of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Your not related to @general melchett are you?

Absolutely not!

Indeed those photogravures of myself and the General were clearly fakes cobbled together by the Naturist Plumber and Restrictive Corset Gazette, in a bid to revive flagging subscriptions during the cold Spring of 1982. I have never owned a Shetland pony, and neither - though I may stand in need of correction on this - has the General ever been able to balance a pheasant in quite that way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

I thought that was Ettcentrica Galumbits , the triple breasted whore of Eroticon Six?

Due to an accident with a guillotine, she had a half sister.

7 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

clearly fakes cobbled together by the Naturist Plumber and Restrictive Corset Gazette, in a bid to revive flagging subscriptions during the cold Spring of 1982.

Damn! my collection of old issues only go back to early 1983. Though I do have a couple of their old annuals in the attic.....

• Haha 6

20 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Absolutely not!

Indeed those photogravures of myself and the General were clearly fakes cobbled together by the Naturist Plumber and Restrictive Corset Gazette, in a bid to revive flagging subscriptions during the cold Spring of 1982. I have never owned a Shetland pony, and neither - though I may stand in need of correction on this - has the General ever been able to balance a pheasant in quite that way.

Methinks the pantomime dame doth protest too much. Anyway, the General will do anything to get a page three or even a centre spread; and there was no Photoshop in 1982!

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Damn! my collection of old issues only go back to early 1983. Though I do have a couple of their old annuals in the attic.....

Ask @general melchett,I understand he has a complete set of issues. Failing that, I'm sure that Darling will have a copy hidden under his bed.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Absolutely not!

Indeed those photogravures of myself and the General were clearly fakes cobbled together by the Naturist Plumber and Restrictive Corset Gazette, in a bid to revive flagging subscriptions during the cold Spring of 1982. I have never owned a Shetland pony, and neither - though I may stand in need of correction on this - has the General ever been able to balance a pheasant in quite that way.

I really must step in here and defend myself against these slanderous and libellous claims...

The regimental pit-pony, Keith, has only ever been engaged in official warlike duties and never, repeat never, involved in any immoral practices (although upon reflection the Royal Berks did borrow him for a long weekend and gait-wise he hasn't really been the same since, however, that was definitely a one-orf). For my part, I have never attempted to balance any fowl, living or deceased in a manner unbefitting to a ranking ossifer of His Majesty's Armed Forces, except maybe, for the confusion surrounding the incident involving the regimental cormorant, Derek, (sadly he recently succumbed to his injuries and received a full military send-off, but not until after a delicious slap-up meal).

melchett.jpg

Ask general melchett,I understand he has a complete set of issues. 

I certainly do have a lot of issues, but my brief has advised me not to elucidate here for fear of re-commitment. As for Darling's collection of 'sporting mags' well, the less said the better, the particular issue you refer to has now become a collector's item and worth a pretty penny...I'll rifle through his drawers and see if I can dig something up...or upon reflection, maybe not  :blink2: 

• Haha 9

4 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dear Alien !

Ok I stay quiet !!

Nice job on the internals !!

Sincerely.

CC

How many time can I stay quiet ?? Huh ???

Thanks CC. How many times can you stay quiet? I can probably count that on the fingers of, err, one finger and I'm not sure about that either.

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

For my part, I have never attempted to balance any fowl, living or deceased in a manner unbefitting to a ranking ossifer of His Majesty's Armed Forces, except maybe, for the confusion surrounding the incident involving the regimental cormorant, Derek, (sadly he recently succumbed to his injuries and received a full military send-off, but not until after a delicious slap-up meal).

I certainly do have a lot of issues, but my brief has advised me not to elucidate here for fear of re-commitment. As for Darling's collection of 'sporting mags' well, the less said the better, the particular issue you refer to has now become a collector's item and worth a pretty penny...I'll rifle through his drawers and see if I can dig something up...or upon reflection, maybe not  :blink2: 

So remind me, why Speckled Jim was walking so strangely when I met him in Dartmouth and why did he ask for his whereabouts to be kept from the good General?

As  to the General's issues with his briefs, I shall, with no great hope of success, try and introduce some modelling back into this thread, lest it be dragged still further into the depths from sewer to slurry pit...…...

Despairing of Mars 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

In a probably fruitless effort to return this thread to some semblance of normality, I shall attempt to explain what has been going on since my last update. Last night's endeavours were directed towards constructing the framework that is situated above the bomb cells, thus making the model look even more like the Space 1999 transporter in the Baron's thread! This took an inordinate amount of time as care had to be taken that every part of the assembly was perfectly lined up to prevent the whole from appearing wonky (wonky, now there's an absolutely filthy word for the General!) There is still a way to go towards finishing the bomb bay but there is a definite if very faint light at the end of that particular tunnel.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

• Like 16

Looks superb! Will you be posing it with that top flap open? Some pics I've collected from t'internet show it propped up like a car bonnet but hinged on one side. That was always my grand plan (when I got round to it :) )

• Like 3