Savoia Marchetti SM.79 Lebanese Style

Martian

2 hours ago, general melchett said:

The solemn moment following officer selection was captured for posterity by the Kings own photographer, Cecil 'Snapper' Beaton. The class of '97, forever known as 'the backbone of the Empire'... included several prominent members of the Winchester Flower Arranging Team.  (Darling was only there to carry my jumbo squirting sunglasses and luminous red nose).

1-imageproxy.jpg

With leaders like this, how could anyone think it was a good plan to take the Empire on?

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That man! Get on with the build and stop clowning around!

Cut him some slack Pete. His analyst's on danger money....

• Haha 4

56 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That man! Get on with the build and stop clowning around!

Oh the build? Sorry I was under the impression that was secondary to the clowning. :clown:

38 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

Cut him some slack Pete. His analyst's on danger money....

I'm just this hoopy alien you know.

Muddled of Mars 👽

• Haha 4

On 3/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, general melchett said:

I reckon Oberliutnant von Genschler is saying...''Ah Fritz, have you just hit vun of zers or vun of ours?...it's kinda hard to tell from here!''   Fritz is thinking ''vun of what? I sort zis vos ze steering veel!''

It's from the Louis de Funes film called here "Die Große Sause"  Haven't seen it for a long time. As far as I remember they wanted to shot down a glider, who is trying to escape. He sees him double and shooting down the hunting german plane. Cheers

Edited by bbudde
corrected my typing
  • Haha 6

While all of you Earthlings have been arguing over who shot who down, your scribe has been hard at work, probably more than is good for me as I have managed to give myself a headache. This often happens when I get carried away when adding fine details to a model but that's my problem.

Today I began by fabricating  some less toy-like mounts for the waist guns. I built a length of Albion Alloys tubing into each mount to take a spigot that I was going to add to the guns that I had purchased for this project a while back.  The guns themselves were a bit of a problem as when removed from the packet the barrels promptly dropped off! Following a few choice Martian expletives, I calmed down and realised that this wasn't necessarily the disaster I had first imagined as guns that fragile were going to be a problem when it comes down to transporting the model. Having realised this, I knocked out a couple of barrels from more Albion Alloys slide fit tubing and drilled a hole in the gun breaches to accept the aforementioned spigots. I then promptly dropped one of the guns and spent the next hour on my tentacles trying to wrest the thing from the clutches of the carpet monster.

The wayward gun recovered, it was locked up in the project box I keep for all the small assemblies on all of my projects and attention turned to the bomb aimer's equipment. The bombs on the S.M.79 were selected for dropping via a set of levers situated in from of the bomb aimer and these were fabricated from more of the ubiquitous Albion Alloys tubing. These really need to cure properly before I adjust any that are over length and add some super goo to the ends to represent knobs. I then added a curved panel between the control box for the bombs and the top of the cage surrounding the bomb tubes. I understand that this protects a system of cables used to  release the bombs.

I think I have now figured out how the bomb doors were opened and closed, thanks to the General and did make a start on the mechanism but by now I was really starting to flag and decided it was best to call it a day before I started to mess things up. Doesn't look much for about five hours work does it? Sorry.

Enjoy the pictures and thanks for looking.

Martian 👽

121.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Nice work on the gun mounts and bomb release mechanism.

Roger

Thank you Roger, much appreciated.

Martian 👽

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Doesn't look much for about five hours work does it? 

The really intense work never does, depressingly. That looks fantastic Martian. :clap:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

The really intense work never does, depressingly. That looks fantastic Martian. :clap:

Thanks Tony, I have to say I am happy with the results so far.

Martian 👽

Sorry about the headache . . .

The gun mounts certainly look the part. As to the bomb releases 

I thought it was the start of a self portrait :wicked:

Good to see that even with all the blah! blah! you can still model 😉

Kev

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, longshanks said:

Sorry about the headache . . .

The gun mounts certainly look the part. As to the bomb releases 

I thought it was the start of a self portrait :wicked:

Good to see that even with all the blah! blah! you can still model 😉

Kev

Thanks Kev. Do you realise you are morphing into me? The standard of your good natured abuse has improved markedly recently. Carry on like this and people won't be able to tell us apart. Well, aside from the differing number of eyes and tentacles they won't.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

On 3/2/2019 at 3:48 PM, general melchett said:

Or indeed the Grandmarnier Guards, The Coors-Light Infantry, Sherwood Fosters and Camerons Scottish Trifle

Surely you must consider that the much feared Carlsberg Special Air Service would beat them all to the bar ........................ no one would know they were there though I suspect..

How could I have missed this thread Martian! Have just spent a very entertaining 30 plus minutes playing catch up on my long Monday weekly commute up to London.Fantastic work on the good old SM79 as well!

Terry

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Great work with the internals there Martian. Can't believe we're at 600+ posts and no fuselage closure, just shows how much chit-chat hard work has gone into this.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, its mostly down to the way I work. The Martian cave s too small to be set up for building and painting at the same time so I tend to build as much as I can before painting and to save up a build or two to make it worthwhile turning said cave upside down. That said however, once painting does start, you should see some pretty rapid progress.

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

How could I have missed this thread Martian! Have just spent a very entertaining 30 plus minutes playing catch up on my long Monday weekly commute up to London.Fantastic work on the good old SM79 as well!

Thanks Terry. Hopefully we have added a bit of mirth to your Monday morning.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

In today's instalment in this pretty much out of the box build, we finish sorting out the bomb doors that I was unable to complete yesterday. This in fact may have been a blessing in an extremely cunning disguise as the main part of the actuating mechanism that opened the doors that I had started yesterday had had chance to cure properly, making it easier to work with. To my surprise, the doors seem to have been actuated by some sort of screw-jack mechanism and not an hydraulic system. Still, thanks to our esteemed General, I think I have the basics as to how things worked and what the system looked like. The bomb bays had already been constructed some days ago and were tacked in place on the model while the actuating arms were glued to them.

I think the pictures pretty much speak for themselves but any questions, please feel free to ask and as usual I will try and provide clarification/obfuscation (delete as appropriate).

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

130.jpg

129.jpg

128.jpg

• Like 17